• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking Brake

JB

Need help with recently acquired M35A2C the parking brake is disengaged and will not engage. The handle is all the way down and wiggles a little but will not pull up. Visual inspection underneath does not show and reason why it does not move. I tried adjusting the handle but nothing helps. Pics attached when painting. Will have to get more better shots later as I think I may have lost some shots along the way.

Attachments

littlebob

Nice looking truck. Mine was frozen the othe way. I drove it off the GSA lot and smelled something funny. I spent an afternonn taking the parking brake assy apart and making it work smoothly. The brake shoes were frozen at the pivot points.
littlebob

55Cameo

Maybe you painted it shut. :shock: just kidding, nice looking truck. You will probably have to take the cable off and lube or replace it and lube all of the points on the parking brake assembly and make sure that they are free. I just went through all of this on mine yesterday. It took a little coaxing, but it works great now.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, maybe a cable rusted up, or the linkage/bellcrank rusted.

breslin

I agree, rusted cable just did this to mine last weekend. once i had it free i then adjusted the slack in the cable so the brakes held better.

'72 Am Gen M35a2 w0/w

OSO

I use Triflow /Teflon It breaks up rust and lubes those steel cables. I used it on my choke cable , pulls out no problem . That stuff should work on that with no problem!!

jimm1009

Nice looking truck. The monster is emerging from it's shell and looks to be ready for duty. Enjoy it as much as you can. It may keep you awake at night by calling your name out loud, saying "drive me, drive me". Ha Ha

Along those lines, does anyone know where to find a new Moustache Spring for the parking brake. I have looked on a couple of dealers sites and they have the other tow but don't seem to have this one.
Thanks,
Jim
jimm1009@yahoo.com

JB

Paint & etc.

I'll try lubing the cable this weekend. Me and my Dad have had this truck for a few years until I went ahead and bought out his half from him. The paints is the standard Gillespie paint; 34079 Forest green (not correct but matches my pioneer trailer), 911 flat black, the brown was a lacquer paint.

Thanks for all the responses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks