• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking lot kisses

Hal O'Peridol

Parking lot kisses, broken side mirror mount

Drove my M1009 to Costco a couple days ago, and came out to find my drivers side mirror hanging on by one bolt. Bottom insert popped out no issue there (must not have been a very good factory job). The top right though, ugh. Tore out of the sheet metal, leaving a jagged star shaped hole.

Used a body hammer to tap in the jagged edges, but wondering where to go from here. Does anyone still make the inserts? I see rubber ones at the store, but it does not look like they will work properly, i.e. the base of the mirror mount will not lie flush enough with the door sheet metal.

Anyone else run into this?

Last edited:

blueblaze

Had the same issue when I was reinstalling mirrors on a truck that had tow mirrors before hand. When I ordered new mirrors they showed up with those plastic insert things, I almost laughed at that. I found these R800600-JACKNUTS.jpg. They are called jacknuts. The ones I found had a rubber plastic type coating on them so I figure they seal and won't scratch. Basically as you tighten them down they sandwich the sheet metal. I've found you have to hold them on the inside though as they do take some strength to collapse them. Its the closest thing I could find to factory and work just as well. cheers

iacucv

Search for Rivnuts I believe they are called. My Menards had a small kit with the pop rivet like tool and a small assortment of Rivnuts for pretty cheap. As for the jagged hole, weld grind and drill!

ETA - the jack nuts blue blazes posted are a better product. There is an installation tool that is basically a bolt and a washer with some anti spin knurling where it contacts the jack nut. Tighten the bolt and it crimps the jack nut to the sheet metal. Makes your life much easier having that little tool.

Last edited:

Jericho

Hope their Honda side mirror was still entwined with yours. I always park to the rear and all alone , learned the hard way with my M 109 A3. , When I confronted the offender of my front fender, his response was, "Heck you guys only pay like two hundred for a whole truck !"?. ( can assure you it cost him more than two hundred)

Hope their Honda side mirror was still entwined with yours. I always park to the rear and all alone , learned the hard way with my M 109 A3. , When I confronted the offender of my front fender, his response was, "Heck you guys only pay like two hundred for a whole truck !"?. ( can assure you it cost him more than two hundred)
Excellent opportunity to start a conversation.

Perhaps you could lead with something like - "At what price point is it OK to damage someone's vehicle?"

When he gives you a price, ask him how much he paid for his. More than likely it will be above his price point - so just tell him it is not worth that much now - and then kick the door in.

Hal O'Peridol

That's what I did. Most fun was trying to thread a fender washer and a lock nut onto the bolt from the inside of the door. After about 15 minutes of this my son said why not install the bolt from the inside of the door and the nut from the outside. Done in 2 minutes. Duh!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks