• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

parking on the street w/ historical plates?

10mm fan

When I get a deuce I will need to park it on the street. Will I be able to do this with historical vehicle plates once I get my registration and insurance. I have nosey neighbors that WILL call the cops and try to get it towed any way they can.
Anything else I need to know?
thanks

Edit
The city's municipal code said "The prohibitions set forth in this chapter shall not apply to the parking of commercial vehicles." I am fairly sure I should be G2G if I register the truck as commercial. What says the legal experts?

Last edited:

Chevytruck

your neighbors will love you or hate you... call the police on you, or say its sweet...

most likely your going to need to get storage for it..

tjcouch

I am guessing it is municipality specific . . . .

But if you are allowed to park on the street

and

You move it from time to time

and

There are no rules about high capacity/commercial vehicles

you MIGHT be OK.

The challenge is the "no commercial vehicle" rule. In my county a commercial vehicle is anything over a certain size or capacity . . . the fact that it is a registered as a personal vehicle does not matter.

I would suggest exploring what makes something an RV in your municipality.

10mm fan

Any way around this?

12.94.010 Definitions.

“Oversized vehicle” shall mean any motor vehicle, boat or trailer, which meets or exceeds at least two (2) of the following criteria, exclusive of fixtures, accessories or property:
1. Twenty-three (23) feet in length; or
2. Eight (8) feet in height; or
3. Seven (7) feet in width. (Ord. 01-3, 1/9/01)
12.94.020 Oversized Vehicle Parking Regulations—Penalties—Appeals.

A. The parking of oversized vehicles, as defined in Section 12.94.010 of this chapter, shall be prohibited on any public street. This section shall not apply to any oversized vehicle:
1. Parked on a public street during the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) or a national holiday; or
2. Parked for the purpose of, and while being, loaded or unloaded for a maximum period not to exceed forty-eight (48) consecutive hours in any calendar week (Monday through Friday); or
3. Parked for temporary maintenance or emergency repairs not to exceed forty-eight (48) consecutive hours within any calendar week (Monday through Friday); or
4. Parked for the pickup or delivery of goods, and merchandise; or
5. Displaying a current valid State Department of Motor Vehicles issued disabled person license plate.
B. The prohibitions set forth in this chapter shall not apply to the parking of commercial vehicles.
C. Any violation of the herein stated provisions pertaining to the parking of oversized vehicles shall be subject to penalties as established by a schedule of fees adopted by resolution of the City Council.
D. Every person who is issued a notice of parking violation pursuant to this chapter may request review of that notice under Section 40215 et seq., of the California Vehicle Code. (Ord. 01-3, 1/9/01)

I just did a quick copy / paste job. Not sure why it added in the emotions.

So what if I register as commercial, don't leave it parked in one place too long, and keep it current should I be good to park it in on city streets?

Last edited:

randyscycle

I'd also see what your insurance company has to say. Many (not all) of the insurers of MV's require them to be kept in a locked garage. If something were to happen to the vehicle on the street, they may frown on that, or refuse any claim.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Well...here..in Columbus, GA. the residential streets are not really wide. A deuce will definately close one lane.
The key is to be a good community citizen and not make too many enemys.
For instance..we have an ordinance that forbids "unsightly" motor vehicles...without clarification. To my knowledge there has not been a violation or vehicle towed under this ordinance in the last 14 years...I know that cause we would be the one to tow the vehicle.
I think it's gonna end up being a local community thing. As CT posted...they will love it or hate it.
I took the 5ton Guntruck home after a function once and parked it in the grass in front of the house..(city right of way..but not on the street). Had several folks come and ask to see it with the kids without incident>
Around 23:00hrs a local police officer knocked on the door and said...sir would you please take those machineguns off that truck...we are afraid they might get stolen or something.
I had forgotten to take the 4 rubber duckie 50cals out of the gunbox!

I know I'm long winded but said all that stuff to say this...if they love it...your home free. If they hate it...you will eventually lose the battle...IMO.
:soapbox:

10mm fan

Streets in my neighborhood are wide by most standards. Neighbors park and keep motorhomes on the street year around so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to park my deuce. I just want to make sure as far as the city goes I am all legal.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
OK 10mm...that's the correct answer. Make sure you are legal.
But you and your local city ordinance folks and LEOs are the only folks that can determine that. As you know they vary widely across this great nation.

chicklin

Streets in my neighborhood are wide by most standards. Neighbors park and keep motorhomes on the street year around so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to park my deuce. I just want to make sure as far as the city goes I am all legal.
If they are keeping motor homes year round without hassle, you should be good to go. Now, if they've just been overlooked to this point, and someone complains about your truck, then the motorhomes might have to go to. Might turn into a big mess.

10mm fan

I definitely don't want to start problems for anyone else. I am just thinking if cops are called, they would just run the tags and see that the vehicle is registered as commercial and move along.
Again I am not a legal expert.

Last edited:

EO2NMCB

Well you found the city code for oversized parking, since you plan to plate as a CMV. I would find out what the city code said about CMV parking. Where I'm at a m35 is a CMV no matter that it has AV plates and can't be parked in my own driveway. On the other hand you can have the worlds largest RV and that is ok per code.

Lex_Ordo

Get the definition from the local municipality's book.

In my area, every plate other than a Passenger or Historical/ Antique plate fall under the category of commercial motor vehicle. That includes trailers.
So my duece is historical plated, and has been parked in the front of my house since it came back from the shop in November.

GoHot229

Taylors and other insurance companys require you park inside a (garage/shed/inclosed) structure I'v heard here on the forum. If this is so that may be a thing to take into account. You surely will make the neighbors ticked over time and yea they will do every underhanded thing to make you move it, while (smileing to your face) This scenario is as old as time. It's been said time and again how the MV vehicles will bring cheers or jeers and you should always take that into consideration you know, not get it and worry about it later. Best to take all the neighbors on a ride and make a fuss about them in the Deuce, take some pics with them at the wheel or something, get them to like it and BRAG about their neighbor with the Deuce. Now as for the city, I think you are in for grief......but hope not. Another thing to consider..... to secure it so as to keep the kids and currious from joyriding and swipeing it while you are asleep or gone to work, or just while unattended. This is another topic alltogather. but started and careening through the street could be DEADLY or COSTLY I'm sure it would deffinatly make rubble out of a motorhome or car/truck for that matter, if it were to crash into it, or a HOME, you see what I mean!

Last edited: