• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Part Number Give Back

CMSGT

I appreciate the info that people give me when asking for part numbers or other information so I thought Id share a few that I have gotten so far. I have the Cummins NHC 250 in my 5 ton. These were good numbers as of today, Cummins was not able to reference some of the numbers I got from search. As I get more I will be sure to post them.

Batteries: I had the military 6TMF but hey got weak and I decided to replace them, rather than spend $200.00 a piece (x4) I went with 2 centinnial C-8DH they are rated for 1400CCA so they are pretty close to the capacity of the originals and they are 1/2 the price. They are large so you only need 2 and they fit in the battery box thought the top holder had to be modified. They worked excellent even when my truck was cold up in the mountains.

Engine Block Heater: Cummins P/N 3310858 Easy install but have to drain the anti-freeze. Checker happened to have Peak anti-freeze, pre-mixed for 10.00 for 2 gallons, pretty good deal.

Oil Filter and Adapter- I found a few P/N's in search but Cummins couldn't reference them. At cummins they came up with 3300923-S ( 109.11) for the adapter kit and LF670 for the filter. When you repalce the original the adapter will require an additional 5/8-18x51/2 graded bolt to install.

I tried JaTonka with the spin on filter mod that has been referenced in the forums and after numerous phone calls/Emails I never got a reply so I'm not sure that is an option anymore.

I hope this helps someone as I appreciate all the help I have gotten from everyone!

area52

Where did you get the batteries at and how much were they? I just bought some group 31's at Sams Club for $80 each and they fit nicely in the box but are nowhere near 1400 CCA!

jwaller

Engine Block Heater: Cummins P/N 3310858 Easy install but have to drain the anti-freeze. Checker happened to have Peak anti-freeze, pre-mixed for 10.00 for 2 gallons, pretty good deal.

Oil Filter and Adapter- I found a few P/N's in search but Cummins couldn't reference them. At cummins they came up with 3300923-S ( 109.11) for the adapter kit and LF670 for the filter. When you repalce the original the adapter will require an additional 5/8-18x51/2 graded bolt to install. !
I have several pages of posts concering the oil filter upgrade. if you bought the kit that requires you to buy the bolt then you got the wrong one. I went thru this when I did the R&D on it. the right kit comes with the correct bolt in the kit.

Jtonka doesnt sell anything for the Cummins 5T trucks that I know about.

You also have to use special coolant on the cummins motors. you can just pick up the regular car coolant. We must use the $20 a gallon stuff. We have liners and they require the heavy duty diesel antifreeze.

Last edited:

CMSGT

I have several pages of posts concering the oil filter upgrade. if you bought the kit that requires you to buy the bolt then you got the wrong one. I went thru this when I did the R&D on it. the right kit comes with the correct bolt in the kit.

Jtonka doesnt sell anything for the Cummins 5T trucks that I know about.

You also have to use special coolant on the cummins motors. you can just pick up the regular car coolant. We must use the $20 a gallon stuff. We have liners and they require the heavy duty diesel antifreeze.

Uh-Oh I didnt realize the info about the coolant...where do I get some that will suffice??

There were 2 adapter kits for the 250, one was horizontal and the other was vertical. From the drawings in the Cummins parts manual it looks like the one I ordered was correct. Not sure about the bolt issue but the parts guy at cummins said I needed one. I will wait till it comes in and see.

jwaller

Uh-Oh I didnt realize the info about the coolant...where do I get some that will suffice??

There were 2 adapter kits for the 250, one was horizontal and the other was vertical. From the drawings in the Cummins parts manual it looks like the one I ordered was correct. Not sure about the bolt issue but the parts guy at cummins said I needed one. I will wait till it comes in and see.
you can get the coolant at napa or any large truck supply shop. it must have sca's.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil Filter and Adapter- I found a few P/N's in search but Cummins couldn't reference them. At cummins they came up with 3300923-S ( 109.11) for the adapter kit and LF670 for the filter. When you repalce the original the adapter will require an additional 5/8-18x51/2 graded bolt to install.

The 3300923-S numbered kit is correct. It's horizontal mounting and includes the bolt plus everything else you'll need for conversion. I have one on my truck. WillWagner helped me get the kit.

Also see this thread....
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/22123-spin-conversion-done-m809-nhc-250-a.html

CMSGT

you can get the coolant at napa or any large truck supply shop. it must have sca's.

I knew they couldnt use regular anti-freeze but for some reason it just didnt register until you said that, so thank you! Whats the best/easiest way to flush out the block/radiator? The truck already had the green stuff in it so I need to get it all cleaned out before I add anything else, I only put back in what I lost when I installed the block heater. Thanks for catching me on this JWALLER!

jwaller

I knew they couldnt use regular anti-freeze but for some reason it just didnt register until you said that, so thank you! Whats the best/easiest way to flush out the block/radiator? The truck already had the green stuff in it so I need to get it all cleaned out before I add anything else, I only put back in what I lost when I installed the block heater. Thanks for catching me on this JWALLER!
the one best way I think would be to disconnect the lower rad hose and let it all dump out. but there are 100 different ways to do it.