• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Part prices: Winch, hard top, heater

Bowtie70SS

I have been in the market for a heater, a winch, and a hard top since I bought my truck. Obviously I want the best bang for my buck but I cannot believe the prices that people are asking for these parts. I see where people buy entire trucks for what they want for a winch alone. I guess it is the law of supply and demand but I have seen the very same parts for sale for at least 3 months. I cannot believe a winch is worth $3000 or a hardtop $1000 let alone a heater being worth $4-500. Am I looking in the wrong places? I am starting to lean towards buying another truck and taking off the stuff I want and re-selling but not for the $6-10k I am seeing for these trucks. I wish I had the money as a $4500 one with a winch,hardtop,troopseats,heater popped up a month ago but I just couldnt swing it. Where are the prices for this stuff headed? I cannot believe people are getting $15000 for a 5 ton either. Who is really out of touch, me or them?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$15000?

I have several I will sell for that or just a bit under that!

Bowtie70SS

There are a lot of people asking that for 5 tons on Cincinnati area Craigslist and Ebay. Also M35A3's seem to be between $9000 and $15000 as well. It is kind of shocking but I will be patient and find the parts I want, I guess a heater is probably top priority for the Ohio winter.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are fishing...

I have gone several years without a heater in one of my regular use trucks.

I have a heater in it now. While it is much better, it is not a must have.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Winches can be had for $1,000-$1,500 if you look around. Hardtops can be had from $400-$1,000 depending on condition.

There is often a big difference in what people are asking for trucks and what they are actually selling for.

I dislike heaters in the stock location. They really hinder servicing the drivers side of the engine.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For $1000, somebody fairly good with sheet metal could probably fab a hardtop. It also seem weird that a winch would get more money that even a "new" engine. :confused:

3dAngus

Winches are grossly overpriced, if you don't consider the manpower required to take one apart just to sell it.
Not for the feint hearted. Better to buy a vehicle with one already on it and start work on that machine then to add one to an existing truck.
It could be argued, but a good deuce with a winch would sell for about $5500 plus or minus. That is with a full cover.
Take the winch off and sell it for $1200, or resell the deuce, and I'm not sure you come out ahead.
Hardtops for all MVs are grossly overpriced too. This is because of supply and demand. There is not readily available supply, and what is out there, is usually rusted out crap. Even new old stock might be rusty due to neglect and storage mismanagement.
So.... just buy what you want up front and don't worry about all the rest, unless, of course, you plan on bobbing a truck.

I'm not sure I ever saw prices like what you advertise though, so if this is really the case, you're just looking in all the wrong places. Advertise on here for what you want. Tell them you aren't looking for gold plated, and that might cut out some of the hoopla and price gougers.

Last edited:

Bowtie70SS

Look on Ebay right now, there is a complete winch setup for $3200, no lie. I paid $300 more than that for my whole truck. It looks more and more like I should just buy another truck and swap out all of the parts I want to keep. My truck in a 1970 and that is the year of cars I really like. I have a 70 Chevelle and a 70 Rebel Machine as well so I want to stay with a 70 Deuce. Also there is a big local show that requires you to have a 70 or older vehicle so that seals it for me.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a dealer offering it at that price.

Trust us, there are much less expensive deals out there. It takes time and patience to buy cheap.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a winch for sale, but the shipping is the killer.

Heater, what is that??? LOL I'm in AZ.

Chief_919

Keep in mind that we just passed what will be known later as the "good old days" for M35's. The Army flooded the market for a while, and at the same time scrap prices were low, so things sold cheap.

10 years ago things were harder to find.

They flooded the market, people bought cheap trucks, a lot got parted out cheap.

Those days are rapidly coming to a close. Things are drying up now.

Prices have nowhere to go but up.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got two, complete in the crate, winterization kits that include fuel fired heaters and winterfront grill covers.

PM me if you are interested.

Storm 51

197thhhc

We like to put the smaller jeep heaters under the dash in our trucks. It keeps the engine area clean and easier to work on. You can find these for less than $100.00 usually and they work great. Also I think there is a winch on c-list in Cincy for about $1500.00. Also if you want a cheaper top why not go soft top. A new one is about $360.00 without the frame work and the frame work isn't hard to find.

Bowtie70SS

I didn't think about a Jeep heater although I have seen the 24v equipment heaters. I don't need the winerization kit, it doesn't get that cold here but thanks. My truck has a new(ish) soft top I just want a hardtop. Thanks Rob, I don't have your number any more. I will just keep looking, I will find one eventually and once I get in better shape I may just buy,pillage, and resell another truck. Thanks for all th responses guys.

Rangerthm2

Bowtie70SS You could just put a backseat heater like people use in jeeps in it. The cabs are small enough and if you just use one battery you can get the 12 v you need. I see the same price for tops that you do. I'm building my own top, I found many out there but they cost way to much and there is nothing to them. When I get mine done I will post pics and cost for parts. It's only gunna cost like $200 to build it.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have installed heaters in many trucks using new kits to whatever will work. I really don't need the cabin heat as much as needing the defrost feature. Need to keep ice off the glass in order to see.
I mount my units like some others on SS to conserve space and make it easier to service the engine bay. Finding used heater parts has been fairly easy with the exception of the heat/defrost draft diverter. Seems no one takes the time and effort to remove them.
A complete deuce winch setup with everything needed to install and operate, to me tops out at $1500 and that is if I don't have any shipping involved.

IMG_1919.JPG

Heater 002.jpg
Bobb'd deuce 011.jpg
Heater 003.jpg
heater 06.jpg

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet I could find one for you much cheaper here in the greater cincinnati area. Still got my number?
HEY!! You need to be finding me a left fender first! Don't I have you under contract?? :grin: BTW, I got those Budd parts, thanks a million, I owe you some beers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks