• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts in hub assembly

Hasdrubal

Did my hubs today, put in new bearings and races. When I looked in the TM's it shows a washer between the locknuts and locking hub. I dont seem to have these on either side. As well the only snap ring I have is the one on the outer edge that holds the hub in place, is there supposed to be another one in there?

indy4x4fab

Banned
Did my hubs today, put in new bearings and races. When I looked in the TM's it shows a washer between the locknuts and locking hub. I dont seem to have these on either side. As well the only snap ring I have is the one on the outer edge that holds the hub in place, is there supposed to be another one in there?
That's not good at all, you need those washers. They keep the inner nuts for back off and there should have been a a small tit or doll that was sticking up on one of the two hub nuts, that one is the inner nut, if none of your hub nuts have those more then likely some g.i. tosted them because he couldn't get the doll to to line up with one of the many holes in the locking ring (the washer that goes between the two hub nuts). But the inner hub nuts and washer will come in a Dorman Axle/Spindle Nut Kit part number 05302, ($21.99 Each kit at O'Reilly Auto Parts for a dana 44 or gm 10 bolt front axle) or for a Dorman Axle/Spindle Nut Kit part number 05303 ($35.99 Each kit at O'Reilly Auto Parts for a dana 60 front axle daul or single rear wheels doesn't matter same spindles, bearings, and spindle nuts).

m1009 kit Dorman AutoGrade 05302 - Spindle Nut Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

m1008-1031 http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...99&ck=Search_05303_1301599_1705&keyword=05303

Last edited:

cpf240

If we are talking about an M1009, wasn't there a change between years in the internal parts of the hubs? I seem to remember reading that here somewhere.

Hasdrubal

Its a 86 M1009. Just to clarify, I have the special lock washers that go between the 2 locknuts. Its the other one outboard of this; SPACER,RING (10) and snapring(9), in the pic.

As well, it shows 2 lockrings outboard of the hub, I only have the one. Or is #5 and 9 part of the hub assembly? Its worked fine all these years, just wondering about it.

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
If we are talking about an M1009, wasn't there a change between years in the internal parts of the hubs? I seem to remember reading that here somewhere.
The wheel bearing size, spindles, and rear hub seal where the only thing that has changed inside the hubs of the k and c serice truck from 73 to 91 on square bodies only. From 73-76 was one size (the rear or inner bearing was a larger inner bore), 77-79 was anther, and 80 to 91 was the final change in spindles, but from 73-91 they all used the same hub nut size. I know because before I was in to army truck of the larger size, I was really heavy in to full size chevys. I have all three spindle sizes sitting on my shelf at home.

Last edited:

edpdx

The parts Hasdrubal is referring to are the ones indicated in his drawing from the-20P TM. Under the uniquely M1009 section for wheel bearings.

In that section they advise that these parts are spec'd on all the M1009 models regardless of the changes from 1984 (items 14 & 15 indicate the only differences in the assembly for the M1009 from 1984- Page 97-1)

In the WARN instructions that come with the replacement manual lock-outs there is an item that states that the hub body requires proper spacing or "float" during replacement or a 1/8" gap will result and the lock-out cannot be seated properly. What are the chances that improper spacing/float resulted in these parts being left out in some repairs so that the lock-out could be seated.

I am working on my wheel bearings, spindle nuts and lock-outs (new WARN manuals) now- mine didn't have parts 9 or 10 either. I have located one so far at the cost of $13. I will stop in the local wrecking yard to see if they are standard on the CIVVY.

I don't want to go through this work and have to break it open again... hunting season man; it's coming up.

Has anyone else missed these parts from their M1009 fronts?

Hasdrubal

I never figured it out either, Asked several CUCV guys up here, they dont have them either. Were they all misplaced by Army mechanics? That being said, I've driven my M1009 for 8 years now, never had any sort of hub engagement issue.

edpdx

I always replace those things with manual warn lockouts.
I got the feeling that the parts we are missing (9&10) are not holding the lock-out on; rather, they are holding the locking/ring w/tang/adjusting nut group from loosening and working outboard from the outer bearing.

Does anyone have a civvy book showing these parts?

indy4x4fab

Banned
I got the feeling that the parts we are missing (9&10) are not holding the lock-out on; rather, they are holding the locking/ring w/tang/adjusting nut group from loosening and working outboard from the outer bearing.

Does anyone have a civvy book showing these parts?
I have a civi book at home, I'll snap off a couple pictures and post them up.

acthomp781

I know this thread is old. I have the same questions, and have not found an answer after searching many old threads. I too am missing parts 9 and 10(from diagrams pictured earlier). Any thoughts? Thank you for your time.

cucvrus

9 & 10 go with the upper double nuts. The bottom nuts have a key to prevent them from backing off. That's what I see in the picture. if it were in front of me I may see it differently.

acthomp781

If you need part 10 in the diagram Equipment parts Sales has them. $2.00 each, NOS parts, 14072921, spacer, ring. I assume the retaining ring(snap ring) could be had at a hardware store.

acthomp781

Hub diagram2.jpg I ordered part #10 in diagram. When installed, with #9 snap ring, the washer, #10, OD is smaller then the lock ring #11 ID, so it can not be to keep the lock ring on were it to come loose. I can only think its purpose is too keep the axle shaft from moving in/out too much. But, there is always a but, when snap ring/washer installed, I could not get the retaining ring #7 to snap into place d/t the hub body did not go in far enough. Just an update.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks