• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts M211

SturmTyger380

I found an M211 about 1.5 hours from my place. Really rough, engine frozen, missing components for the engine. Lots of rust but could be worse. The owner is playing the scrap value card. I really don't have a way to haul it and would have to hire it done. Not sure how much that would be. Any ideas?

In a way I want to save the truck from the scrap yard but its body parts are borderline. The scrap price is higher than I want to pay based on whats left. Every piece of glass has been busted out by kids. The transmission, transfer case and axles etc might have some useful parts. The M211 I have is in better shape and all the parts are there.

Can't decide. Alan

Section8

That's a tough call.
If the owner doesn't want to go any lower than scrap value then the major decision is yours.
I am not even really sure what scrap value would be but if it is around the 500 buck range and it were me, I would get it.
To me you have to look at the fact that parts for these trucks is getting harder and harder to find.
To me axle assembles are worth the five hundered bucks when you think about brake shoes, cylinders, drums, springs, gears, propeller shafts,heck even studs!
The cab has its own little gold mine even though you say the sheet metal is in rough shape.
You have door handles and latches, window cranks with tracks and frames. Spare seats, instruments, steering wheel, pedals....
Need I go on?
An easier way to look at whether it may be worth it, is look at Alpha Heavens, Memphis Equipments price list for said parts plus shipping and decide if what the owner wants for the whole truck is more than what a hand full of parts to order and have shipped are worth.
I guess its a long winded way of me saying if I could get a parts truck for cheap I would grab it.

SturmTyger380

Called a guy who could haul it and waiting for a call back. Seller says scrap is more than 1.5k. I know everything is scarce on these trucks.

SturmTyger380

Okay the seller and I came to an agreement and I found some transport I can afford. I got the friend rate from a guy I know down the road. I take off at 6:30 am to pick it up. We will take some pictures and I will post them when we get back. Wish me luck.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm very busy grinnin' but will stop for a sec. to wish ya luck, may the road to recovery bring stories of grandeur and success, good luck.

Another deuce on Steel Soldiers, he he he he he, nice.

Section8

Hope all went well!!
Glad to see another jimmy getting saved, even if it is just for a parts truck.
For every one truck dismantled for parts, not melted into tin cans, means another one gets to stay on the road longer from the salvaged parts!
Looking forward to your write up on the haul and pics of the rig!

SturmTyger380

I met the guy hauling and we got on the road by 7am. We made great time and shortly after 8am we were at the truck. The owner had his tractor there ready to go. So we pushed her up on the dove tail trailer bound her down and headed back up the road. By 10am we where back at my place unloaded had had her parked.

Say hello to XM211 20004 built in May 1953. I am not sure if that is an early number or not. Oh and I have no idea why there was a baby bottle in the cab.

Enjoy, Alan

Picture 017.jpgPicture 004.jpgPicture 003.jpgPicture 006.jpgPicture 014.jpgPicture 009.jpg

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Box looks good. You have a tailgate,,, that's rare. Hard to tell in the photo but the hood looks good too. How does that center rib running up the hood look?

The steering wheel doesn't look cracked either so maybe someone 'babied' this thing. What's in the bottle? My guess is that it's coffee and someone just found it easier then building a cup holder. Not a bad idea. I think I might grab a bottle off my niece and give it a try. Think the cops would pull me over for distracted driving if they see a baby bottle hangin out of my mouth in the deuce......gotta try it.

SturmTyger380

The hood has some rust along the lower rear sides. The rib looks good but at the end of the rib near the windshield there is a hole punched through the metal that went from the inside of the engine compartment. It's like the hood was closed on something, not sure.

The baby bottle looks like it is 3/4 full of sand.

The seller came down to 1.4k. But I paid $100 more for the one I have that is complete. Dang scrap prices. I got shipping quotes that were higher than the price. So I found a friend of a friend that could haul it. If I had not got a deal on the hauling I would have walked away.

Alan

SturmTyger380

About a month ago when it was dry I shoveled out the cab of this truck from the leaves and debris inside. I found a usable headlight ring.

Then I put a tarp over the cab and almost all of the front. It shed rain good but the snow we had made an impression that collected a bunch of water. I had to siphon that out, seemed like 20 gallons. Then I made a bow to help keep that from happening again.

GA M211 4.jpg

I was looking over the body again of this truck and really the only thing it is missing is the fuel tank and the holder arms and straps.

Anyone have an extra set of M211 holder arms and straps that bolt onto the drivers side frame?

SturmTyger380

Yeah! Went to check out a local gents old M211 in the woods. Not much of the truck left but the fuel tank support arms and metal straps where still in place! :clinto:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is good news. With the tighteners being on the bottom of the tank I haven't had much luck with removal.

Did you save them?

SturmTyger380

I got the tank support arms. (Should have brought a hammer and chisel to bust rusted nuts)

Plus I got the spare tire shield and the front metal plate that bolts on the bumper.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those finds are not getting easier. I know dabtl has been looking for a pto guard plate waaay down south and can't find one. I checked 7 trucks and they just don't have them. Good to see you found some treasure.

When you get em' all painted up red, white and blue we want to see pics.

nattieleather

That truck isn't in that bad of shape. It's rough, but it wasn't scrap yard rough. It could be made to go varoom again. Drop a 6.2 or 7.3 diesel or a BBC V8. A little media blast some primer and paint and you'll be having some fun. If I lived closer, had the time, the place to keep it and the money I'd take it off your hands, but I have no time, no money, don't live close and no place to keep it. :) Nice save.

SturmTyger380

True, overall the truck is not bad. Engine is stuck. I am not sure how bad. No intake or exhaust manifolds are there. Transmission is really greasy looking. Radiator has a cut place in the lower tank. (Looks like tractor fork marks to me.) But yes I have seen worse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks