• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

parts prices

dkeven

you have to wonder when you go to a recommended member to get a product for your MV and they sell something you can buy yourself cheaper elsewhere. I thought the members were supposed to help each other, when I buy an off the shelf item I dont expect to pay double for the privilege of buying from a member. I understand the need to make a profit but geepers double the price and double the shipping for the same item, whats up with that. I would like to see a thread where items can be bought cheaper rather than see xyz on the site so they can take advantage of you. In the motorcycle world we did group buys, got group discounts deciphered oem numbers to common parts to save costs, not the case here?

flyxpl

I think it comes down to doing research to find the cheapest place to buy . I am sure thier are SS members to help us do that , then thier are members that are trying to suport thier addiction and will use the opertunity to make some cash . I have seen alot of the group buy stuff on gun forums also .

KsM715

Im not asking for names or anything like that. But did you buy from a private person? Or from one of the surplus dealers that sell parts for a living?

dkeven

being new to the addiction I bought from a few members who sell stuff on the side, it seems crossing over the part number of maintenance items from the govt to civy world is sometimes difficult, but when parts arrive and you find you could get them locally for much less or on fleabay for 1/2 with 1/2 the shipping it sorta bugs you. The mil surplus sites seem shipping price prohibitive to get much from to me

eldgenb

a lot of mil stuff will have a steeper price do to novelty or collect-ability, civi stuff in the same likeness is almost always cheaper cause its all made in china anymore..:cookoo:

emr

that is up to U I think, if U have a problem after the sale with the price, learn and become more aware of whats what, we all did this, There is a very varying market for these parts, some states certain parts are plentyful and some do not have access like some others do, so the prices vary, Really it is not the sellers job to make sure they know what all others are willing to sell same or similer stuff, and as for shipping, well if U order it then thats part of it, and if u can find it locally do it, but to say the members here are or should be obligated to make sure there prices are the same is something that will never happen , and does not need to, it really is up to U, U have the right to buy or not to buy, not the members selling job at all... ...Randy

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For instance, you bought a trans from me for $300. I know you mentioned you could get one cheaper from others but they were further away. I really wasn't advertising that I was selling the trans (I was debating if I was going to sell it or keep it as a spare) but I saw you're post, knew that I didn't live too far away, and priced the trans for what I was willing to let it go for. I hope this deal isn't part of the reason you started this thread. If it is, I'm sorry you feel that way and am willing to discuss it further through PM.

I've bought parts from people on this site myself only to find out later that I paid more than I could have gotten it elsewhere. I figure it was my fault though because I didn't shop around before I bought. I hold no ill will towards the seller because there was no underhanded dealings going on. They priced it and I bought it.

crasheej

If you like the price that is quoted and you buy then you went for the deal as it is. Then you find one for less that is life. Man up a say maybe next time I'll do better. We have all done it. Some of us learn others want to blame others. It don't fly with me. Be a man not some whiny little kid.

asgtoolman

I bought an M101 trailer complete w/ sideboards and canvas for $440.00 that was 60 miles away---my friend bought one for $260.00 that is 320 miles away--WHO GOT THE BETTER DEAL?
I think I did; he thinks he did. IMO, There are more factors than $$$$ in considering good deals.
Don't get me wrong, I have bought many items for what I thought at the time was a good price only to find the same item later for a cheaper price--but I went into the first deal with my eyes wide open and have no one to blame but myself--LIVE AND LEARN!!!

PsycoBob

Every time I buy (item), I find (item) cheaper/closer the next week. 1gal Rotella 5w40 $28.90 @ Tractor Supply, $22.90 Advance Auto, $19.90 Wal-mart. 1gal Lucas products go the other way. :confused:

If I assume the OP is commenting about NOS parts, I'd definitely be upset with getting higher prices from our cohorts than from most other sellers.

Kalashnikov

I know there is at least one member here that has very steep prices which is disappointing since it is usually the opposite. I always shop around for the cheapest prices on parts. I'm slowly getting to know prices on all the deuce parts like I have learned with my other hobbies. There are still some parts I have yet to find at a decent price (starters and alternators @ $400+!! radiators going for $800+!).

So far some of the best prices I've found are at Erik's Military Surplus, Oshkosh isn't bad on some things, and OD Iron has some good deals. Personally I have only ordered from Erik's. Honestly if you need a lot of parts, you're better off buying a parts truck. That's usually the way it goes with all vehicles.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Surplus stuff sells in lots of varying quantity and price. For instance, member A buys a lot of deuce wiidgets for a nickel 98 each. These haven't been available for years. He prices them at a a dime 98 to make a little profit for his addiction. Suddenly GfnL list 14 lots of 2 million deuce widgets and they sell for below minimum bid. Now there are 2500 sellers selling deuce widgets for a penny 98. Seller A sees this and reduces his price to a dime 50 since the market is flooded. Should he price his inventory below what he paid because the market is flooded or wait for someone to come along and pay his advertised price? There are lots of factors besides you getting the best price. I only shop in haste when I need something yesterday and I assure you, there is not a single member who has not overpaid for one thing or another.

gunboy1656

What I always find fun is watching part go for auction on ebay. One part I want for mine, Saturn has for 35 bucks and I watch the same part constantly go for over 50 bucks on ebay. I know which one I am going to buy from.

Just do you homework before you commit to buy something and you will be fine.

dkeven

If you like the price that is quoted and you buy then you went for the deal as it is. Then you find one for less that is life. Man up a say maybe next time I'll do better. We have all done it. Some of us learn others want to blame others. It don't fly with me. Be a man not some whiny little kid.
that was an a--hat response
I bought what I assumed to be oem replacement or even govt surplus, I got off the shelf oreilly or napa parts that had I known the cross over could have saved 50% or better, I see advertised prices for over the counter items in the guise of military alternatives for 40% more than local parts suppliers. I am not a new mechanic but was new to the mv world, Other groups/forums whatever advertise deals when found, cross reference when known, volume discount when available. This one does not so much, pointing newbies to a member is not really doing them a favor unless they have unique hard to find or good deals. Surplus parts are surplus parts location condition and supply dictate their cost (no M16ty I have no problem with the trans purchase its my first standby part as fixing mine proved to be fairly inexpensive.) Just saying we could do better, I posted my success with fixing the injection line and even the type ferrule needed available at any diesel shop. Did not say joe blow has line set for 400 bucks buy one. Think more of that would be nice and maybe even a thread to put it in.

Last edited:

dkeven

you wouldnt believe how much that particular Harley has gone down in value, Over 13000 in extras plus the bike price, I traded another bike for it so have nowhere near that in it. value today 7500 at best

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing I have learned is that you can always find it cheaper. If you enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I buy from numerous sources but one thing that is important to me is the dialog available with SS member vendors. I really value being able to pick up the phone and talk real time to another SS member who assists with anything, not just info on the parts I purchased.

Was it John Arbuckle who said "You can have economy but by **** you will pay for it"

Im no expert by no means. I have seen what all of u have paid for your cucvs i got a steal on mine but i have put some money into it but i still dont have what the starting prices are on ebay for m1008. my Truck aint perfect thats for sure> Sure thier are nicer Cucvs for more money But i dont even want to think about Paying $3500+and still have to spend more money to get it road ready. i found my supplier here locally for Cucv Parts Hes reasonable He sell axles Complete units dana 60s and the 14 bolt rears with or with out lockers for the M1008s and complete axles for 1028s. i HAve bought quite a bit from him due to me havin the cucv i have priced alot of stuff and he seems to be reasonable i have also done research with napa parts crossing to advance auto parts and auto zone big price diffrence U just have to be proactive its your money im nota cheap skate but i do like to save cash when i can :grd:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks