• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

parts required to bob a deuce.

ICAT

I'm looking at useing the suspention from a M149 water trailer. It is rated at
1 1/2 tons so it should work but it does looks different than an M105.:p

JeffShoots

Mine has bags in the rear and a custom bed. You can go to xtreme 4x4 and watch the 3 bobbed deuce episodes.

looking at useing the suspention from a M149 water trailer. It is rated at
1 1/2 tons so it should work but it does looks different than an M105
So is this Bobbed method #4 and #5 :beer:

BTW: Wouldn't stacking so many springs on the rear ride like...well ride less than a few springs with an overload spring set?

rossM4

The only part of the job that I REALLY worked hard at and sweated over was getting all the measurements correct. The hardest physical work was flipping the hubs by myself, but then I'm 60 years old. Next time I would build a type of jack or cart to help lift the hubs.

oddshot
That sounds like a job for an ATV jack. ratchet strap some plywood to the jack and poof instant hub helper. lol

frodobaggins

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at useing the suspention from a M149 water trailer. It is rated at
1 1/2 tons so it should work but it does looks different than an M105.:p
The M149 trailers seem to have a heavier suspension than the M105. It should work fine.

DicedDeuceMan

FYI, on using a torch on CARC paint, please use adaquate ventillation.

Your lungs will thank you later.

All paint when heated and airborne are bad, epoxys carc, worst of em.

A regular nuisense mask does not stop it, a 2 piece is generaly required.

Didnt shorten shaft on mine.

Last edited:

DicedDeuceMan

This has been covered.. frame is NOT hardened steel. Weld on it if you like. Nothing special about it.

I do not think it is mild steel, I believe it's frame steel. It does weld different, but not far off. Hardened is stiff, axels ,gears, stuff like that, frame has some content of spring steel.

Also it does depend on how old, Remember the titantic? If you were to compare the steels we all have just mentioned with a metal reader, (radar looking device) you would see the content does vary. Of course, anybody got a $10k device like that?

I always give a quick, warm up preheat on any frame to lengthen the cooldown time.

Please prep properly too.

paulfarber

I do not think it is mild steel, I believe it's frame steel. It does weld different, but not far off. Hardened is stiff, axels ,gears, stuff like that, frame has some content of spring steel.

Also it does depend on how old, Remember the titantic? If you were to compare the steels we all have just mentioned with a metal reader, (radar looking device) you would see the content does vary. Of course, anybody got a $10k device like that?

I always give a quick, warm up preheat on any frame to lengthen the cooldown time.

Please prep properly too.
Check the TM, search this site. The frame is just steel. NOTHING SPECIAL about it.

The steel in the Titanic was to brittle. Nothing to do with anything other than not fully understanding the new process they were using for the steel.

The answer you seek is on this site. You don't have to take my word for it.

DicedDeuceMan

. Low carbon steel contains approximately 0.05–0.15% carbon and mild steel contains 0.16–0.29%carbon; therefore, it is neither brittle nor . Mild steel has a relatively low tensile strength, but it is cheap and malleable; surface hardness can be increased through carborizing.

Medium carbon steelApproximately 0.30–0.59% carbon content

As the carbon content rises, steel has the ability to become harder and stronger through heat treating, but this also makes it less ductil. Regardless of the heat treatment, a higher carbon content reduces weldablility. In carbon steels, the higher carbon content lowers the melting point

The manual I found said carbon steel.... Not normal steel. so how much carbon content does the normal Deuce have in it?

Sorry for using the term Frame steel. when I suggested warm it up, I ment to say,
All of our carbon cutting edges that I weld on, SHOULD and are recomended to be preheated.
All of the Labounty shears, as well as the Stanelys I weld on , HAVE to be preheated.
Alum, it helps.

Heat is penetration.

Their are green coolerd trucks like mine, then there are Bruce Kubos trucks.

There are welds, Then people that have homing pigeons..

So in a recap, IF the Deuce does get into the Mid carbon range, by welding improperly, you will be sorta heat treating it? Then causing a stress area? Just trying not to get too techicall, then you loose people.

Hopefully nobody take this wrong, I'm on a streak lately. Good luck with the weld. AND POST PICS.......