• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts to add heat to m51a2?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Now that it is colder I am thinking about adding cab heat to my m51a2. I'm surprised they all didn't come with heat but it is a 50s IH that was retrofitted to diesel in the 80s. What all parts do I need to source to get some heat going? 🤔

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A regular military hot-water heater kit was fielded for G744 5-tons many years ago, and kept in the supply system.

Comes with everything to set it up, check with the larger surplus dealers like Memphis or Eastern.

Otherwise, just about any DIY system will work, if you flog it a bit and have a resistor in the fan circuit so you don't smoke the motor on 24V.

The Southwind Co. also made military fuel burning heaters, those work almost too well South of the Arctic circle.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do go for a 12V unit, don't be tempted to draw the power from a tap between the batteries. (Unless you run a newer hi-amp alternator with dual voltage outputs)

It is a short course in ruining your batteries...

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you dont need room for a passenger, a rear school bus heater is an easy addition that will provide all the heat you need.
yeah, a bus heater would be excellent, or a decent box heater mounted underneath the pass seat, such as the rear-seat heaters one would find in some higher-end cars like chrysler's and lincoln's in the 70s-80s, the ones that were mounted up high under the rear deck in the trunk, their own self-contained unit .. I had put one in between the seats of an old ragtop jeep in the 80s and it was great.. Being that the poster is in FL/GA , the GI heater should be satisfactory.. All I know is back in the 70s-80s the GI heaters, what very few trucks had them in the units I was in , were worthless unless engine was up to temp, wind wasn't blowing, and you were sitting still at least 10 ten minutes.. Only then, if the door windows weren't too leaky, you wouldn't see your breath anymore and maybe the windshields would start to defrost by themselves.. But in less than a minute of moving down the road the heat would be pretty much gone .. This "wonderful" performance was in temps below 28F .. I have 1950s commercial trucks here with larger/better heater cores than the GI ones , sad to say :rolleyes: :LOL:

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.. I had put one in between the seats of an old jeep in the 80s and it was great..
Yep, thats how I had my first gen Bronco set up with a school bus heater in the 80’s as well! Even with the extra large, automatic beer can disposal holes in each of the floor boards, I didn’t need to put the junk hardtop on until January…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks