• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts?

JustAbout

I've been looking at getting a duece to do chores like getting wood, haul gravel, hay, and any other major hauling needs that i have. I was just wondering how hard it is to find parts if something breaks and how expensive :shock: Thanks

JustAbout

JustAbout

I guess the next question should be how intensive is routine maintenance (besides changing the oil) if i had one in good shape and drove it between 2,000 and 5,000 miles a year?

JustAbout

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
These are old school, bullet proof (literally) trucks that were built to be maintained in a field environment. You can, with basic mechanical knowledge and simple hand tools, operate and maintain one of these trucks easily.
The manuals are written on a seventh grade reading level and most of the diagrams show key components and systems in a way anyone can understand them.
I have seen deuces beaten and neglected and still do the job.
They are nothing like the techno marval vehicles of today that take an engineering degree (and deep pockets) to work on.
A lot of civilian parts will cross over and, as mentioned above, there are plenty of sources for parts and assistance to help you. This is one of the best sites anywhere.
My son works at Advance Auto and I had him cross reference some items for me just to see if he could do it. He found almost everything I checked. If he had been older and knew more tricks of the trade he could probably have matched them all.
The archives here have tons of information availible for downloading.
Buy a deuce and have fun.

JustAbout

Thanks for all the help. I've got a line on one but we've (me and the current owner) haven't really discussed much on price. I'm waiting on him to really need to get rid of it to help my buying power. Plus i have to off load some other projects that i'm not going to be working on. We'll see what happens i guess.

This is a great site. I love just reading the threads and checking out the galleries...hopefully in a 4 or 5 months i'll really be able to contribute (really mean ask questions :lol: .

JustAbout

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
like the others said deuces are fairly easy to work on. doing the work is often times messy though. im doing wheel bearings and brakes on mine this week. the old brakes are saturated in grease from seal failure. i have one pair of pants and a shirt im wearing for the few days after work that im doing this job. once im done im throwing them away.

Jones

Welcome to the fold. And good luck on finding the Deuce of your dreams. They're out there and often reasonably priced but count on spending a few dollars making it "your deuce". This SS membership has a bunch of good guys who've already been down the path you're taking and aren't shy about sharing their experiences. As with any undertaking, it's always nice to know where the rocks are.
Take a look in the -10s (Operator's Manual) in the SS library's Tech Manuals section and you should get a pretty good idea of routine maint. points to cover. Same sect. has GTA 9-1-185 (1-8) Systematic Inspection Procedure for the 2 1/2 Ton Truck which is good reference. And, our very own Polverone has the Pre-Drive stickers available. Nice addition to the cab interior and covers items to check before every drive.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are extremely easy to work on and parts are readily available. Problem is though 1 just isn't enough. :?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks