• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PASSED/SIGNED: Texas MV Bill Moving thru Senate

ErnieL

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you need a CDL to operate large MVs in Texas? Common sense to me says yes, but I've seen people driving 40' diesel pusher motorhomes with absolutely ZERO training whatsoever.

I'm actually quite happy about our rules here. From what I can see, things look OK, at least until they don't.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a whole thread on that topic with all the details.

The short answer is no, you don't have to have a Commercial license, but you do need to have at least a non-commercial Class A license to operate MVs with a gross weight rating in excess of 26,000 pounds (regardless of whether or not you ever intend to carry any load at all).

Motor home carrying capacity puts them in the lower license class, regardless of size.

Cheers

Crapgame

Looks like the m998 with a GVWR of 7700lbs is explicitly permitted to be street titled and registered whether or not the paperwork was stamped "off road".
Looks like wheeled MVs with a GVWR over 10k are permitted to be street titled and registered as long as they were not stamped "off road".I don't know of any MVs over 10k GVWR that had the "off road" stamp. I conclude that the target of this legislation was the sandrail crowd and MVs are unaffected.
DLA will soon be done auctioning off the legacy A0 series HMMWVs, and you already have M1123A2s as well as M1097s being auctioned off that have a GVW of 10,300lbs. Granted GP hasn't been stamping their SF97s "Offroad Use Only" but other Defense property disposal contractors are, ie Go-Dove stamping their M1025A2 SF97s.

So you could have practically the same, mechanically, identical truck one being sold by GP able to be registered while the G-Ds are going to be SOL, for trucks that are practically identical to 8000lb A0 HMMWV, just with different half shafts and suspension springs bolted on by the very same production line and workers.

Seems like a conflict of interest, the cause for this new law, a local salaried government employee, paid by your tax dollars, arbitrarily making decisions that set this whole thing off to begin with, is now empowered by the law to make those decisions. Remember the whole point of limited government is the Citizens limit what the government is allowed to do not the Government limited what the People are allowed to do.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DLA will soon be done auctioning off the legacy A0 series HMMWVs, and you already have M1123A2s as well as M1097s being auctioned off that have a GVW of 10,300lbs. Granted GP hasn't been stamping their SF97s "Offroad Use Only" but other Defense property disposal contractors are, ie Go-Dove stamping their M1025A2 SF97s.

So you could have practically the same, mechanically, identical truck one being sold by GP able to be registered while the G-Ds are going to be SOL, for trucks that are practically identical to 8000lb A0 HMMWV, just with different half shafts and suspension springs bolted on by the very same production line and workers.

Seems like a conflict of interest, the cause for this new law, a local salaried government employee, paid by your tax dollars, arbitrarily making decisions that set this whole thing off to begin with, is now empowered by the law to make those decisions. Remember the whole point of limited government is the Citizens limit what the government is allowed to do not the Government limited what the People are allowed to do.
I agree with just about every point you make except that the supply of A0 trucks running low. I suspect we will be seeing them at the current levels for at least a couple more years...

Over 10k GVWR *and* the offroad stamp is what triggers the restriction. This combination is going to be the rare outlier. I agree with you in that it makes no sense. The law was clearly written be people who have not the least understanding of what these trucks are.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing for Texans to keep in mind - if you are running preserved military registration, you may NOT use the truck to carry your personal stuff around legally, unless you are going to a show and the gear is part of the show.

An example - a guy nearby got stopped recently driving down the road with a large white refrigerator, which he was moving for a friend, in the back of his M35. The deputy who stopped him was well aware of the HMV law, and was well aware that moving a refrigerator wasn't in compliance, so a citation was issued (operating outside of registration class), and justifiably so.
So, if you use your truck to move house and get caught......

Likely if you have collector insurance, and are using your MV as a regular truck, they could find grounds to deny coverage if you are involved in a collision.

To avoid this you can buy a 'trip ticket', which is a temporary permit to operate as a regular vehicle. They are for operating unregistered vehicles, or outside the normal registration class, and there are several types. I have used them numerous times, the last time I did so they were $5 for a one-way trip, and $15 for a permit good for several days. A LOT cheaper than a citation!
Check with your insurance company to see if you are covered, you may have to buy temporary supplemental coverage for the trip. Again, cheaper than having a claim denied.

Cheers

sue

What a dufus, should have just said “he’s taking
it to a MV show to keep the beer cold”. Who could
deny that?

Crapgame

One thing for Texans to keep in mind - if you are running preserved military registration, you may NOT use the truck to carry your personal stuff around legally, unless you are going to a show and the gear is part of the show.

An example - a guy nearby got stopped recently driving down the road with a large white refrigerator, which he was moving for a friend, in the back of his M35. The deputy who stopped him was well aware of the HMV law, and was well aware that moving a refrigerator wasn't in compliance, so a citation was issued (operating outside of registration class), and justifiably so.
So, if you use your truck to move house and get caught......

Likely if you have collector insurance, and are using your MV as a regular truck, they could find grounds to deny coverage if you are involved in a collision.

To avoid this you can buy a 'trip ticket', which is a temporary permit to operate as a regular vehicle. They are for operating unregistered vehicles, or outside the normal registration class, and there are several types. I have used them numerous times, the last time I did so they were $5 for a one-way trip, and $15 for a permit good for several days. A LOT cheaper than a citation!
Check with your insurance company to see if you are covered, you may have to buy temporary supplemental coverage for the trip. Again, cheaper than having a claim denied.

Cheers
So crime and traffic is so low in that county that the county mounties have to resort to fishing trips and tickets like this? Glad he made it home safe at the end of his shift! I mean, it was a military surplus truck, he could have cut his finger on it and got tetanus. Public servant of the year material there, for sure.

Jericho

Although I was stationed in Texas a time or too, I never had to deal with texas registration requirements . After reading the thread , I don't think I want too, Seems odd that a land founded on the muzzle of a six shooter and know to be independent and individual minded has such arbitrary and convoluted criteria . Come om a fridge in the back of a deuce . But it beats the ticket I got in Woodrow LA in 1987 for 35 in a 28 MPH zone, BUT all I had to do was pay on the spot , in cash ! I think ill keep my regs in NH and AK simple here pay and walk away fast and simple in NH , No titles after age 15, call it what you want, NO CDL hassel if your not hauling commercial, NO state rules added to CDL criteria . I like Texas , but cant seem to remember when it got all regulatory lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks