• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passed the ARRL Technician and General Exams today!

LiqTenEXp

Well after passing both exams it is time to think about a radio for my 5 Ton. I've already got a HF setup and portable VHF/UHF. What kind of information can you guys share with me to an appropriate setup for the vehicle?

I'd also consider using it outside of the MV world potentially band wise in case I'd like to use it for other applications. What bands does the military typically use for most vehicle mounted applications?

Thanks!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on passing the exams. Ham radio is something I've always been interested in, but never seemed to have the time.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tactical vehicles used to be equipped with radios in the 30-75 Mhz range, which means the six meter band for Amateur Radio. That would mean an RT-524, or the equivalent (PRC-25 or -77 with the AM-2060 base), plus some others in the VRC-12 family.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations. I passed all mine earlier this year.

Someday I might even talk on a radio. :-(

LiqTenEXp

Thanks everyone, I started with the tech, then asked them for the general, they then asked while I was at it if I wanted to do the Extra.... I thought about the study guides I had seen for the extra and said "ehhhhh no thanks". Studying for those two was enough at one time.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had studied for two and half tests. They convinced me to take all three the first time and guess what? I passed two and a half tests............. Doh!

I took the Extra again two weeks later.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on passing the tests. :beer:

This thread helped me remember to renew my license today.

Flyingvan911

Congrats. I'm also a General. I'm studying for the Extra. I have a RT-524 in the deuce but also have provisions to use my Icom 706 and LDG tuner. I recently mounted them in an ammo can for easy transport, storage, and moving between the van and the deuce.

73's KC0ERE

Attachments

armytruck63

^That's a great waterproof enclosure (assuming the can's gasket is present and intact). Thanks for sharing this great idea.

I work in electronics. Maybe sometime I'll get off my butt and get licensed for ham.

Flyingvan911

The can is intact except where the screws and SO-259's go through the can. It might not be totally water tight but you can carry it through a pouring rain with no problem. I keep the lid off when operating for air circulation. I put the lid on for storage or concealing it in the van when not in use.

Feel free to copy the design. I don't make any claim to it. If anyone want more pics, let me know.

I also got my license in high school. But it was 1998.

Last edited:

plode

Congrats!

I got my license 14 years ago. Upgraded 4 years ago to general. I need to get the book for extra...study it, and upgrade.

I'm actually working on a mount for radios for my truck. I have most of the parts for a M939 radio mount, but I want to change some stuff up, I'm putting in a Kenwood TS-480SAT and a Yaesu FT-7900R(this will probably get upgraded to a Icom D-star rig soon...our emergency management uses it a lot) in it. I have a AS3900 base that I working on gutting, and am going to install a 2m/440 antenna on it. I believe where the antenna screws onto the base is a standard NMO mount?
I'm not sure what I'm going to use for an HF antenna yet. I do like the tarheel antennas, I've made lots of contacts using one in my friends truck on the road trips to the Dayton Hamvention(this weekend BTW), so that might be something I look into. Not sure how I'll mount it.

ke5eua

Congrats. I'm also a General. I'm studying for the Extra. I have a RT-524 in the deuce but also have provisions to use my Icom 706 and LDG tuner. I recently mounted them in an ammo can for easy transport, storage, and moving between the van and the deuce.

73's KC0ERE
Just be careful with the heat if using it with the lid closed. That 706 will heat up pretty quick on HF, in a air tight case like that.

Edit: I just read you already addressed the air circulation issue. Whoops...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks