• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passenger Seat Connecting Link Incorrect?

Gypsyman

I've started working on my seats and run across something odd. The connecting link on the outside of the passenger bench appears to be too long. When I purchased the truck I noticed that the link was bend outward. Simple fix so I never paid any attention to it. The more I looked at it though the more it appeared to be the wrong length.

When the seat is in the upright position the link is far from being out of travel which allows the seat back to rest (and rattle) against the back of the cab. When the seat is folded down it's about 3/8" too long so if you put weight on the back of the seat the link bends outward. The geometry or length appears to be all wrong.

1) Have others seen this issue?
2) Is this a common problem?
3) Can someone verify the overall length of the link?

I've only been able to find one sample photo and I can see that the link is at the end of the slot when the seat is in the upright position. This appears to be correct.

IMG_7858.JPG IMG_7857.JPG Original Seat Photos (4) - Copy.jpg

Gypsyman

When you have time could you tell me the overall length of the link? I can't find any local trucks to look at. Mine is right at 14-7/8" overall.

The part numbers show none available at the usual sources.

Reactions: HDN

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just measured mine. Looks to be 14 5/8". There is no space at the end of the slot when fully upright.

Gypsyman

Something is definitely goofy with mine then. It's 3/8" too long in the down position and around 1" too long in the upright position. Maybe the tab on the seat back was welded in the wrong position or this seat was pieced together from two or more.

Worst case scenario I guess it's cut and weld time.

Does the lower bolt rest against the end of the slot in the down position or does the seat just ride cushion to cushion? I know that the driver side arm seems to stop the seat back in a level position when folded so it appears to be correct.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the lower bolt rest against the end of the slot in the down position...?
Yes.
And it should not be this link that limits the travel to the fully up-position. There are stop brackets welded for that purpose, on both sides of the seat.
IMG_20220908_192519_570.jpg

When you have time could you tell me the overall length of the link? I can't find any local trucks to look at. Mine is right at 14-7/8" overall.
I guess what really matters is the C-C distance between bolts: measured 9.5" and 13.4", respectively.

Attachments

Gypsyman

I saw that the seat has built in stops but mine is still resting against the corner brace in the cab. I had planned to add a small amount of material to the stop area to kick the back forward just a bit. Apparently it's been hitting for some time as there is a small divot worn in the seat back.

I'll check dimensions in the morning. As always, thank you for the precise answer.

On a side note...

30 days out on hood handles thanks to you. =)

Gypsyman

After some additional measuring I settled on dropping 3/8" in length from the middle of the link. Pictures below are after the cut/weld/paint modification. Everything works perfectly. I have no idea where the variance was but both forward stops hit at exactly the same time now and the back sits level when folded down.

One more small item off the list...

IMG_7875.JPG IMG_7876.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks