• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passenger seat plywood base

HAWK101

Hi, I'm in the process of renewing my cab seats.

While doing a bit of research (this site) and others, it seems that the plywood base for the passenger seat is perforated?
Is this correct?
I have the plywood base, but mine is one whole piece, not a problem, as I can drill the holes.
Does anyone know how the holes are spaced etc? or have some kind of diagram/template of the layout?
Just wondering why the plywood base would be perforated? to help the foam breathe maybe????:|
Thanks
Lee (HAWK101)

steelandcanvas

The holes help the foam to drain if it gets wet. When I rebuilt my springer driver's seat, I had to replace the plywood and it seems the 1/2" holes were spaced about on about 4" centers. When you make your new seat board, shoot it with some clear laquer (or paint), to protect it from the elements.

HAWK101

Hi
Thanks for the reply and info, just started on mine today, had a less than busy day at work, so on with the seat base. Still got to drill most of the holes out, attach hardware etc.:cool:
Then paint.new passenger base3.jpg

HAWK101

That's great,, thanks M-37Bruce,just another question:roll: my old passenger seat base was attached to two hinges at the back, allowing it to be flipped up, this doesn't seem right to me?
As the hinges look like any old door hinge.
So,,, as im in the process of making a new base, how where they originally secured in place?
Cheers
Lee (HAWK101)

Mike_L

The rear of the seat is trapped between the back cushion and the horizontal bracing that supports the back. The front drops down on two pins at each corner of the base/box (see TM 9-8030, fig 135) and held down by the latch that you can see part of in M-37Bruce's photo. The seat bottom will come out entirely once unlatched and the front lifted up. This gives you a lot more "elbow room" when working in the battery box or just loading stuff in the cavity under the seat.

If your seat has a prop to hold it up that sounds like a neat idea though I've gotten use to being able to take the seat out.

3dAngus

The holes will also allow the foam to compress and decompress a bit better, giving it great longetivity so that the foam doesn't prematurely compress and collapse or stay down.
That's some nice work. I need to redo my seats with some pup tent halves for material. I like the US stamped on it and might use that part of the shelter halves for the back. I don't think I want to sit on it.:-D

HAWK101

For some reason my passenger seat base only has one pin (left side closest to drivers seat) I guess im going to have to get creative and make a pin for the other side of the base.
Thanks for the info Mike_L8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks