• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passenger seat won’t fit a grown man comfortably.

DREDnot

Keep in mind that the base is the battery box and cant be easily moved. Now remove the thinly cushioned GI seat and install a thicker, taller bestop jeep seat or similar...You will probably end up with less room.

Do you have the newer high back GI seats, or the original style pop-tart cushions?

Ajax MD

You think it's bad now? Try cramming yourself in there wearing all your "battle rattle" and your rifle.
It's cramped even for a thin, healthy guy.

08hmmwv

First thing I did was change out the flat front seats for the high backs.

I replaced the two brackets that connected the upper and lower seat cushions. They were too upright and crammed you against the wheel.

I fabbed these up that let the seat back recline.

View attachment 789743
Nice, did you use the same bracket and made the slide track ? And what does the other side look like

DREDnot

Nice, did you use the same bracket and made the slide track ? And what does the other side look like
I had to make new to have enough meat to have the slide track. Both sides of both seats are identical. The knob was from home deeps

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

BLK HMMWV

View attachment 789804

View attachment 789805

I just copied the original bolt spacing but I want to make a new set to close up that gap so everything i set on the seat doesnt funnel through it into the black hole behind the seat
I'd like to nominate your adjustable seat back design for most unique and down right ingenious upgrade .
It should come standard from the manufacturer.
I salute your ingenuity and willingness to share your design.
You should market them before I copy it.
BH

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After careful consideration, I will be adding heavy gauge right angle bent (vs. welded) rocker panel re-enforcements and square tube steel inner rocker re-enforcements to the sides and I will be deleting the upper aspect of side to side square tube re-enforcement by using a thinner beefier square tube placed lower down to the floor. That will allow the seats to be set further back while protecting occupants from a side impact.

This will be a Summer project, and won't be happening anytime soon, so no pictures yet.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing I did was change out the flat front seats for the high backs.

I replaced the two brackets that connected the upper and lower seat cushions. They were too upright and crammed you against the wheel.

I fabbed these up that let the seat back recline.

View attachment 789743
In a rear end impact, I'm concerned that this will fail, but I think your ingenuity is terrific. To adjust, you should not have a groove, rather 2 or three set position holes to lock the seat in a position that cannot slide on impact. It would make adjustment fiddly, but would make the design more secure on impact.

I will be swapping to some other seat in the future, after I re-enforce and modify side impact protection.

Last edited:

DREDnot

I'd like to nominate your adjustable seat back design for most unique and down right ingenious upgrade .
It should come standard from the manufacturer.
I salute your ingenuity and willingness to share your design.
You should market them before I copy it.
BH
Thanks
I cant really take credit for this "design" though... i've seen it before in other seats. I just had access to the stuff to make them

DREDnot

In a rear end impact, I'm concerned that this will fail, but I think your ingenuity is terrific. To adjust, you should not have a groove, rather 2 or three set position holes to lock the seat in a position that cannot slide on impact. It would make adjustment fiddly, but would make the design more secure on impact.
Thats a great point.
But I would argue that many seats fail that way in a rear end collision. Its like the crumple zones in cars or aircraft seats.
The lack of upper torso/head restraints would cause me to surmise that maybe the seat back reclining you a little would be preferable.

My first idea was to just drill an extra hole in the original parts.
The adjustment was indeed fiddly.

DSCN8615.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks