• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passenger side drum brake seized up-

Shane M

Hey everyone,

So I live up in Alaska now and Mt M1028's passenger side drum brake seized up, in a Starbucks parking lot. Started working on it and come to find out to get the drum off I need to take the spindle nut out. Have yet to be able to find one in an auto parts store in the Anchorage area. But there is an auto skills center here where you can rent a bay and lift to work in and they have the tool but won't let me rent it or take it to the parking lot. So my question to everyone is, do you guys know of a way to unseize the brake long enough to drive it a mile down the road so I can get it on a lift and diagnose it from there? And what do you guys think caused the seizure? Once i get the spindle nut out do i just take a mallet to get the drum off? I tried searching the forum and didn't find too much except that someone's wheel cylinder went bad. Need to vet this fixed before the snow and freezing temps arrive, running out of time. If anyone can help or post a link to a forum that faced a similar issue it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Shane

Skinny

Sledge hammer for the win!

Try backing off the adjuster and maybe even crack the bleeder to make sure it isn't hydraulically stuck on. Then start swinging...

Shane M

Sledge was a no go, ended up using a bottle jack, ratchet strap and a socket. Worked like a charm. Doesn't look like the shoes need to be replaced. Sprayed everything down with brake cleaner to get some of the brake dust out of there. Need to look at the adjuster and wheel cylinder

Skinny

Try another chain, I know Autozone by me rents tools for free with a deposit.

I would say that if it seized hard enough not to drive home or easily get the drum off you have serious issues with that corner. I would probably check parking brake cables, and wheel cylinder. I would highly recommend replacing shoes and hardware if the linings look questionable.

Shane M

Thanks for all the input everyone. Got the drum off, and it turns out it was the adjuster. Cleaned it up and lubed it and it seems to be good. Gonna take it over to the shop and torque that axle nut to spec. And inspect the front brakes for the **** of it.

Keith_J

Automatic adjusting drum brakes can do that when the attachment hardware and associated bits wear. Inspect all before buttoning it back up.

M1008BOV

Next time just take the adjuster plug out on the backing plate and take a flat blade screw driver and back the shoes off (can't remember which direction to turn it). If they're still stuck give the drum a tap.

(poor thing probably didn't want to go into Starbucks :whistle: )

Shane M

Lmao I tried adjusting it and hitting it with a hammer. Didn't work. I didn't wanna go to Starbucks either but it's the closest coffee shop and it's on the way to work. Still don't understand their menu. I just want a hot black coffee