• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Passenger side knuckle assembly --- Help

OddballJ

Remember when I posted on here back in March about th trouble I had coming back from school in my truck? Well, I just got it out of the shop tonight. A few buddies of mine drove down there with their F150 and a rented uhaul auto transport and hauled it back to Raleigh. Trip was uneventful.

So after 2 months in the shop, you may be wondering what they did to my truck. Me too.
Upon getting back to the house and inspecting it, it looks like they backed it into something and completely flattened on of the loops beside the pintle hook, and killed my battery. Additionally, it's leaking diesel from somewhere upfront at a prodigious rate when it's running. They started it with some sort of jumper box and drove it up on the trailer for me and I didn't notice it was leaking until we stopped at a McDonald's a few miles down the road to re-tighten everything.
I checked my batteries with a volt meter when we got home, and my red-top optima battery that has worked without fail since I bought the truck in November is now reading 1.2V. The big grey one from the military is still working great.
Any idea what could have happened to my battery?
I'll try to post some pictures of the damaged hub tomorrow.
Thanks again to everyone for the help before....It's going to be an interesting summer :)

mistaken1

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

I love nothing more than grease monkeys (or thieves) pretending to be mechanics. As we have been told over and over again all blue collar labor is unskilled labor and can be done by anyone at anytime and doesn't deserve anymore than six or seven bucks an hour.

Is my thick dripping sarcasm gumming up your keyboards?

OddballJ

you know, it is what it is. I'm annoyed, but I have my truck back, so all in all I'm pretty pleased :)
would still love to know what, if anything, they did to my battery...

OddballJ

front battery, and it looks like someone had the master switch flipped for the flashers, so I guess that would do it huh?
*sigh* now I just need to find a gear puller that will fit inside that hub and not bend all to pieces

Barrman

Flashers on would drain the front battery.

What do you need the gear puller for. Unbolting everything and it should come right off.

OddballJ

well at least that could have been an honest mistake, and even possibly my fault to an extent.

"should" is the operative word there. EVERYTHING was completely chewed up inside the hub and wouldn't slide off.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/68343-dangerous-situation-today-my-m1009.html
That fellow had nearly the exact same thing happen to his truck about 2 weeks after it happened to me. Unfortunately, my truck then sat in a shop for the next 2 months.
I finally found a puller that worked from auto zone (and better yet, they rented it to me :) ). It didn't work well, and there was still copious amount of angry muttering and teeth gnashing, but it came off. Now I just need that special nut to get the back part off and I should be good to go.

Ghost2012

>< I'm sorry guys but a 1008 is a 5/4 ton with a Dana 60 front. A 10-bolt (I.e. Civvy Blazers 1/2 ton and 1009s 3/4 ton will NOT work)

Two completely different animals.

Diedenbear makes a set, and you can get some from Florida Powertrain here in Jacksonville the last time I called. I can also source the knuckle if you still need it.