• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not much to report (Sorry folks, funding is cut at the moment). I do however have a few parts.

Besides the PTO, I got a cable to actuate it from the cab. Unfortunately I also forgot hardware to mount it. I'll pick that up tomorrow after work. The grill has been cut as well. So here's a sneak peek.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Man I understand now why people fuss about the PTO. I had picked up bolts to mount it. But I see now I'm going to need to make studs for it. I had started to install it with the lever cover off. But I see now that's going to be just about impossible to reinstall when the case is mounted. I only mocked it up with two bolts, but with just those two bolts I slid the gear over and it felt decent as far as slack. A little loose, but four more bolts should take that up. I used one thick and one thin gasket.

I'm still trying to ponder how to install the bottom most stud or bolt. That's going to be a total pain. I'm thinking about just using a bolt, preinstalled in the PTO housing. IF I have enough room... Otherwise, I'll be firing up the drill for an access hole. :(

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The admin monkey got two bananas today. The site got upgraded to vB 4.3.1, and the SEMTT got the PTO case installed. I started fabing brackets to hang the hyd pump as well. I'll get them welded in and the pump/driveshaft installed tomorrow. Then, I *THINK*, I'm ready to start installing the crane. Just a bunch of work in that same area I didn't think about. (Spacers, t-case cable/bracket, PTO install, PTO hanger fab, exc.)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One step forward, two back. Again, not reading the TM's has bitten me in the tail. So I got the PTO installed and test ran it last night. WHINE WHINE WHINE. So I shut it down. I started studying today about it. It seems that these PTOs are pressure lubed units. The PTO I picked up, while it bolts on, is a splash lube unit. When I pulled down the PTO to check (I thought my shims were off bad) I noticed the oil that was once there was gone. So basically it was gear to gear dry whine.

My question now is what to do with the PTO. I can't move forward without the PTO. I see from the TM's and image searching, it appears that the lube is supplied into the shaft of the PTO housing. The PTO I have obviously doesn't have the port for this. Could I possibly cheat and simply drill and tap the housing aiming at the gears and try to "splash" lube it with pressurized oil.

Or am I stuck with a expensive lesson?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One step forward, two back. Again, not reading the TM's has bitten me in the tail. So I got the PTO installed and test ran it last night. WHINE WHINE WHINE. So I shut it down. I started studying today about it. It seems that these PTOs are pressure lubed units. The PTO I picked up, while it bolts on, is a splash lube unit. When I pulled down the PTO to check (I thought my shims were off bad) I noticed the oil that was once there was gone. So basically it was gear to gear dry whine.

My question now is what to do with the PTO. I can't move forward without the PTO. I see from the TM's and image searching, it appears that the lube is supplied into the shaft of the PTO housing. The PTO I have obviously doesn't have the port for this. Could I possibly cheat and simply drill and tap the housing aiming at the gears and try to "splash" lube it with pressurized oil.

Or am I stuck with a expensive lesson?
:popcorn: Hmmm. Inquiring minds want to know. Patiently awaiting knowledgable input.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrcy would you need to install an aux oil pump? I think if you could get a hole tapped then have a pump you are good to go. The interesting thing would be how to get your circulation on the system. Can you tap and input and output into the assembly?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Patrcy would you need to install an aux oil pump? I think if you could get a hole tapped then have a pump you are good to go. The interesting thing would be how to get your circulation on the system. Can you tap and input and output into the assembly?
No, I'd use the trans cooler line like the normal unit uses. The from trans to cooler oil line is under pressure. The stock unit used a tap off that line to provide lube to the PTO. The trans then pulled fluid back down that would wash over from the PTO case into the trans case.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another "expensive lesson" avoided! Necessity is the mother of all invention, well at least that's what I've heard!
God bless,
Tony

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ehh it's still $60 for that shaft shipped. But it's ordered. Should be here by the end of the week. I thought about trying to do it on my own. But without knowing the exact specs and how it's laid out, I'll just put the right part in. I removed the set screw from the shaft, but apparently the shaft is a press fit. So that'll have to wait until I get the new shaft and take it to a shop to press it.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ehh it's still $60 for that shaft shipped. But it's ordered. Should be here by the end of the week. I thought about trying to do it on my own. But without knowing the exact specs and how it's laid out, I'll just put the right part in. I removed the set screw from the shaft, but apparently the shaft is a press fit. So that'll have to wait until I get the new shaft and take it to a shop to press it.
You done the right thing Brother!!:patracy:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, it's not much, but it's a little update. Still waiting on that shaft. But I was loading up a hood on the back of the CUCV, and since the wrecker was running, I had the wife help me tweak the spare tire mount back into shape. Hopefully Ferro and Papabear will now approve of the truck as they ragged me about it when I picked it up. Of course, stupid me, I forgot to take a before pic. But to explain it, the tank shield was actually ON the tank. I'm sure PB and Ferro can vouch that this looks 100% better now. It's not 100% straight, but close enough for horseshoes and hand-grenades.

The battery box (former passenger toolbox/step) will be relocated to this section. Spare will go on the davit crane mast.

Thanks to my wife for playing the part of Solider B.

hwcurtice

Well, it's not much, but it's a little update. Still waiting on that shaft. But I was loading up a hood on the back of the CUCV, and since the wrecker was running, I had the wife help me tweak the spare tire mount back into shape. Hopefully Ferro and Papabear will now approve of the truck as they ragged me about it when I picked it up. Of course, stupid me, I forgot to take a before pic. But to explain it, the tank shield was actually ON the tank. I'm sure PB and Ferro can vouch that this looks 100% better now. It's not 100% straight, but close enough for horseshoes and hand-grenades.

The battery box (former passenger toolbox/step) will be relocated to this section. Spare will go on the divet crane mast.

Sorry, this picture is misposted. Is supposed to be in the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?57747-MV-Calendar-Girl-Guy-Photos-Thread

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG

The battery box (former passenger toolbox/step) will be relocated to this section. Spare will go on the davit crane mast.

My name is Papabear...and I approve of your message...and your progress...and "Soldier B"!
:papabear:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks