• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is just crazy cool. Big kudo's on all the fabrication work and problem solving related to putting this beast together. Huge undertaking and things are coming together nicely.

tobyS

Nice job on your conversion Patracy.

There sure is a lot of surface area for paint. Do you know what you are using? I've been experimenting and have found the blow sand silica (clean, no organic matter) on my property can be finely sifted, making an interesting additive.

How about using overload air bags for some extra, adjustable, front spring?

My boom on my crane had taken a little sag in the second section. I took it apart entirely to rebuild it because over time and use, the top of the tube was longer than the bottom (thus a slight droop). You might have a little of that going on in the first part of your boom. On mine, I decided to weld on a wear strip of cold rolled flat and turn the bowed section over. I welded a 3/6" x 3" CR flat with a full weld on the long side of the tube, distributing the heat, but making sure I had full penetration. After cooling, the tube was perfectly straight again (due to shrinkage of the welded side) and had a new CR surface for the extension roller to run against.

So my point is, if your bottom tube is getting a bend started, having been used once or twice, you may want to consider welding a CR flat to the top of it to straighten and reinforce it. A 6011 rod would do it but for more "draw", use 7018 (Your buzz box has DC I hope).

Then again, perhaps it is straight already and good to go. Have fun with your new machine.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow Drew, that crane has a lot of reach! What is the max lifting capacity of it again?

Soni
It's been bugging me that I didn't know what it was. Well today I found out! There was a load chart on it, under two coats of paint. aua

IMAG1222.jpg

So it has a 30ft reach total. Lifting from the ground with the second segment pointed vertically, 8250 lbs. Fully extended 30ft, 800lbs.

Nice job on your conversion Patracy.

There sure is a lot of surface area for paint. Do you know what you are using? I've been experimenting and have found the blow sand silica (clean, no organic matter) on my property can be finely sifted, making an interesting additive.

How about using overload air bags for some extra, adjustable, front spring?

My boom on my crane had taken a little sag in the second section. I took it apart entirely to rebuild it because over time and use, the top of the tube was longer than the bottom (thus a slight droop). You might have a little of that going on in the first part of your boom. On mine, I decided to weld on a wear strip of cold rolled flat and turn the bowed section over. I welded a 3/6" x 3" CR flat with a full weld on the long side of the tube, distributing the heat, but making sure I had full penetration. After cooling, the tube was perfectly straight again (due to shrinkage of the welded side) and had a new CR surface for the extension roller to run against.

So my point is, if your bottom tube is getting a bend started, having been used once or twice, you may want to consider welding a CR flat to the top of it to straighten and reinforce it. A 6011 rod would do it but for more "draw", use 7018 (Your buzz box has DC I hope).

Then again, perhaps it is straight already and good to go. Have fun with your new machine.
I've decided I'm going OD green. (I don't want to copy Soni LOL) I'm probably just going to use house paint for it. I'll also be painting a M750 trailer.

As to the air bags. DOH! :patracy: why didn't I think of something so simple! Thank you for that idea!

I haven't noted any warpage on the boom segments. There are some pins that I do need to address though.

zout

PT - I would have never believed it either as it just all rubbed the wrong way - but that Behr paint is outstanding - get the Marquee paint as no dirt will stick to it and it is always clean - the Behr Ultra will get dirty.

See - an ole dog can always learn new tricks if your willin to listen and learn.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a fyi as I also used Behr paint now over 2 1/2 years ago. I was very happy with it originally and completely painted my front bumper among other touch ups and parts. I did not paint the whole truck. Paint is starting to lift away and peel off my bumper. I know there are many variables but I was surprised to see this going on now.

Btw, nice job on your project and enjoyed following your build!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just a fyi as I also used Behr paint now over 2 1/2 years ago. I was very happy with it originally and completely painted my front bumper among other touch ups and parts. I did not paint the whole truck. Paint is starting to lift away and peel off my bumper. I know there are many variables but I was surprised to see this going on now.

Btw, nice job on your project and enjoyed following your build!
What line of paint did you use exactly? It seems to be that various lines of Behr have different outcomes.

M920

What line of paint did you use exactly? It seems to be that various lines of Behr have different outcomes.
I have been using the paint from RAPCO for close to 20 years now and have had really good luck with it. I really don't like to do prep work, so the fact that this paint can paint over just about every surface and even dirt, makes it perfect for me.
It is also pretty affordable at around $35/gallon and can be purchased in spray cans.

Soni

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have been using the paint from RAPCO for close to 20 years now and have had really good luck with it. I really don't like to do prep work, so the fact that this paint can paint over just about every surface and even dirt, makes it perfect for me.
It is also pretty affordable at around $35/gallon and can be purchased in spray cans.

Soni
Thanks for the feedback. If you don't mind my asking, how much paint have you used so far on yours? (I know you had more painting to do as well)

M920

Thanks for the feedback. If you don't mind my asking, how much paint have you used so far on yours? (I know you had more painting to do as well)
So I thin the paint two part paint and one part paint thinner. That gives me one and a half gallons per gallon as sprayed.
On the FEMTT, I have used three gallons so far and two thirds of a case (12 cans to a case) of spray paint for the small stuff.
I bought four gallons (It is cheaper to ship if you get a four gallon case) for this project and I think it will be enough to get it all done.
This does not include any of the 'modules' of course.

Soni

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm, I will have to study this further. I know that M750 trailer is going to take a boat load of paint to cover. Perhaps I should buy a can or two of their spray paint and have a quart or gallon mixed of the house paint and use the two on matching parts (say the drums or something like that). I'll also need to consider the thinning aspect of things since the RAPCO stuff can be stretched over the house paints. Sounds like I need to crunch some numbers tomorrow (Calculate sq-ft of the SEMTT and M750) and run the numbers between the two. I kinda suspect off hand they'll be neck and neck. I really want to get some in my hands to try out though. (Both)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PM me your address and I'll send you a spray can of the CARC green RAPCO paint.....
I was going to say I'll just buy one, but man, a single can to purchase costs more in shipping than the can! I'll PM you.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Doc wouldn't notice the M114 missing would he? LOL
I sorta sure he would notice...but hey...I don't have any "Official Responsibility" to watch over/secure anything that is not impounded!

No vehicle has ever gone missing from here but I guess there is a first time for everything!!:roll:

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well it's not much, but with how work is going to start exploding, it's something. I didn't want the tall exhaust stack on the truck since it could interfere with how the crane pivots. When I changed the exhaust pipe, I ended up cutting a flange and a slight bend off. I picked up a flapper and a stainless bolt and nut tonight and got that installed. No more bucket! I also sprayed it with some high temp paint since that section was a little rusted.

IMAG1224.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I picked up a can of house paint, Soni also sent me a can of Rapco. I started tinkering a little with paint back at the tandems and frame rails. I'm thinking I'm going to use a mixture of paints. The rapco spray cans will come in handy up under it and in nooks and crannies.

IMAG1226.jpg