• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patracy's "SEMTT"

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Also, it looks like the speedo is in the US now at least. (NY was the last update yesterday) Maybe I'll get lucky and see it Saturday!

Reckless

Well I picked up a can of house paint, Soni also sent me a can of Rapco. I started tinkering a little with paint back at the tandems and frame rails. I'm thinking I'm going to use a mixture of paints. The rapco spray cans will come in handy up under it and in nooks and crannies.
I used house paint and it sprayed very well, it dried surprisingly quick but did take about a week or so to cure. At first it "scuffs" pretty easy but now it's fine and looks pretty dang good.

tobyS

I went and picked up paint cards (local true value hardware) and there are a lot of variations on flat green. How does one thin the house paint?...water? And after cured, does it take an oil based clear, flat topcoat (urethane)? Also bought black Rustoleum (rattle cans) undercoat to try in the wheel areas.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I went and picked up paint cards (local true value hardware) and there are a lot of variations on flat green. How does one thin the house paint?...water? And after cured, does it take an oil based clear, flat topcoat (urethane)? Also bought black Rustoleum (rattle cans) undercoat to try in the wheel areas.
You'll need them to match it based on the FSS if they work like home depot. It's a water based latex, so just water thins it. There's no top cover/clear, it's just house paint.

L1A1

You'll need them to match it based on the FSS if they work like home depot. It's a water based latex, so just water thins it. There's no top cover/clear, it's just house paint.
That's good to know as I just painted my house this past spring. Hate to think that I now have to go out there & spray on a coat of clear coat......:razz:
Matt

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, no pics, but not a lot to report on. GPS speedo came in today. Got it unboxed. Will get it installed tomorrow and the dash buttoned back up. Picked up a few more gallons (3) of paint. Also bought another spray gun since the seal in my 30+ year old one cracked. My step-father loaned me his pressure washer. I sprayed it down with some purple power on the crane and sprayed it off tonight. Outta light so I'll go for round two in the AM. I've got thanksgiving dinner with my inlaws tomorrow at noon. So I'm aiming to get everything pressure washed and hopefully taped up. Then spray it tomorrow night.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Will the new speedo fit in the dash or will it need a bushing to adapt it to the bigger dash hole ???

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Will the new speedo fit in the dash or will it need a bushing to adapt it to the bigger dash hole ???
It'll fit right in. That and the fact it will work on 24v are the two reasons I bought it. I am thinking about taping it off and shooting it with a little black paint though to hide the chrome/stainless rim.

zout

Have no clue why ya bought one - there is like 5 of them sittin on my bench ??? Oh I get it - you plan on building another one.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have no clue why ya bought one - there is like 5 of them sittin on my bench ??? Oh I get it - you plan on building another one.
Huh? I had to go with this GPS speedo since I couldn't find a cable long enough to drive the stock speedo.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, I didn't get as far as I hoped this am before Thanksgiving with the inlaws. However, I did get the speedo installed and the dash back in place. Got things pressure washed off as well. I'll try to tape it up today and spray if things work out. I'm going to save a little paint and match up the trim rings.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got everything taped up this afternoon. Ran out of daylight. Shot a gallon of paint though. Have the rear tandem half just about done, save for wheels. Having the wife pick up two more gallons on the way home from the mall. Hopefully I'll have everything sprayed tomorrow for the most part. Rest should be touch ups from all the 1,364,720 nooks and crannies this thing has!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Would a acid etch on the chrome bazzle help the paint stick, is the bazzle metal or plastic, how easy was the install

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Would a acid etch on the chrome bazzle help the paint stick, is the bazzle metal or plastic, how easy was the install
It's metal. I'm just going to scuff it with a little sand paper before I take a brush and paint to it. Install was really easy. Red lead to 24V+, Blue lead to ground, I picked the yellow (looks more white to me honestly) lead to the backlights from the lighting, then a plug for the antenna. I put the antenna in the corner of the dash next to the glass windsheld, tucked neatly out of the way. The only "bad" thing I've found is that it takes about 1-2 minutes to calibrate itself on power up. Course it'll take more than that to get the truck aired up and pre-checked anyhow.

M920

.......Rest should be touch ups from all the 1,364,720 nooks and crannies this thing has!.....
I can highly relate to that, after my recent painting venture on the FEMTT! Seems like every time I turn around, I see another spot that I've missed.....:roll:

Speedo looks good btw...!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I see one of those speedos in the 819s future only red back light
I'll do a write up of it in another thread once I get some road tests done. I personally like it. Nothing to calibrate, so changing tire size has no effect on it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's too cold this AM to get out and spray any paint. (29F at the moment) But it should get up to about 50F this afternoon. Since it's all taped off I'll see if I can shoot it all down today. I did goof off a little in gimp (freeware photoshop) I'm a bit rusty with it since I haven't used it in a few years. But I wanted to get an idea of what some of the bed "modules" might look like. I'm just winging it with the scale, but I think the S280 shelter idea is out. I'm not keen on the M105 or deuce bed trailer without some skirting around the sides of the 5th wheel. I'm leaning more towards just the bed idea. I'm not sure if I'd bother with bows and a tarp either.

Attachments

zout

Cold was the word this morning - it was like 26 here but I shot paint in a garage with a 175,000 BTU heater on tho - makes a big difference than working outside this time of year like your trying to get done especially when
your so close to be to the paint status of your build - I feel for ya Bro.

I might have missed it and I apologize for asking but - what paint system did you settle on to shoot it with PT ? Looks great btw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks