• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patton Museum moving to Ft. Benning afterall

Brutusdog

I was at the museum on Saturday 2/27/10. The sign says 85% of the museum related material will be moved out beginning in Sept 2010. Ft. Knox is not closing. They are actually expanding the number of soldiers. There are numerous LARGE construction projects going on within the base. The armor group (and the museum) are moving to Georgia. Moving in is an administrative group. The number of soldiers actually assigned to the base is supposed to increase by about 50%. The gold is staying, and the "quick response" group that guards it is staying too.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That's pretty much what we were told today as well Brutusdog.
I'm kinda excited by the Armor coming here and the museum.

And yes, from what we were told...Fort Knox will actually have far mores jobs etc available for local residents etc. than they do now.
I see this as a win/win situation for both Knox and Benning.

Attachments

B3.3T

I don't know why people always exaggerate and jump to conclusions; no one EVER reported Ft Knox was moving. Just the Patton Museum armor collection.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I don't know why people always exaggerate and jump to conclusions; no one EVER reported Ft Knox was moving. Just the Patton Museum armor collection.

Maybe I missed a post? I didn't read any post like that.
But actually it's the Museum...and the Armor School coming to Ft Benning:jumpin:

11b101abn

Moving the DAT's to Benning is like taking a pizz in someones corn flakes.

ETA- God bless the Armor Branch, but I cannot help think of The Benning School for Boys as anything but Infantry country.

Oh, well.

It's also glaringly obvious that a Grunt did not come up w/ the new name either. Stinks like General Officer nonsense to me.

Last edited:

yetti96

Well I am glad I got to see the museum before it moved. Of course I will visit it again once it is set back up in GA. Now I get to compare the two. I wonder if ti will get any more traffic? When my wife (then girlfriend, some 3.5 years ago) and I were there it was really quiet. But either way, I am glad to see it preserved.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, yes, Ft. Ob-Knox-ious!

Up Misery, down Agony (and back again), Disney Barracks, Holder Complex, Potts Motor pool, red clay packed in your road wheels, the Super-Secret-Squirrel Gold Repository, the "sun-less" winter, the all to famous obstacle course from "Stripes":shock::x. Come on all you tankers, share your Ft. Knox memories.

Sad to see the Armor School and Patton Museum move, especially if you went Basic/AIT there. However, if it improves the lives of those who may gain new employment, then so be it. We'll always have the memories.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks