• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pawnshop paints a CUCV...

Pawnshop

I should say right off that I have never painted a car with a paint gun, I have never painted anything made from metal with paint that didn't come out of a can with a marble in the bottom.

I should also say that WHATEVER the Army used to adhere the two stripes of tape/velcro/whatever to the back of my M1009 is the most indestructible stuff ever encountered by me and took considerable effort with a gasket scraper, drywall file and then eventually a pneumatic sander and turned out to be possibly the hardest part of the whole weekend. Did I mention it was 100F outside? And my truck was in the sun?

Processes all new to me and essential to the completion of this task include: masking, mixing paint with thinner, assembling a spray gun, figuring out how to regulate the paint pattern and actually getting the paint onto the surface is a sort of even manner. I did eventually figure those things all out and I think the results are satisfactory.

At one point I almost hurled the paint pot across the yard and called RAPCO to get some spray cans on the way. After figuring out just how the $20 Harbor Freight paint gun had failed, and just how to make it work again, I finally finished and I think the de-pinking of Pinky has come along nicely. After camo and lettering I will be finally rid of the job and can enjoy Pinkie in her cosmeticaly complete form (some day).

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soon as I get the new floor in I'll be ready to go. Don't worry about the spray gun cause I have a Binks. And I've painted vehicles recently. Let's see...the last one I painted was the summer I graduated HS and that was only 27 years ago. It's like riding a bicycle. Should come right back.

Pawnshop

I learned that a spray gun will NOT produce acceptable results after the gasket swells up and falls into the pot thereby no longer sealing which allows air and paint to go places you don't want it to... (notice the spots of paint on the ground? You should see the hood, and my left shoe...)

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, having seen that one 'in the pink' (I know, sorry. Couldn't resist that) it looks super! Good job Sam.

I too had thought of walking into Maaco with some 383 and let them have the bother, may have to check on that. But then there is the guilt of not doing it yourself... Oh, the dilemma!

Cheers

Last edited:

jeep-Jeep

It looks good from my house !!!!
Me and my then 7 year old daughter restored my m38 and I believe( now) spent way too much effort on the paint job .
Keep on truckin sam

airmech3839

Nice paint job!! Where would one get some of this 383 and what is the full part number for telling paint store dude! I want to know if anyone has ever seen a truck with tiger stripes? I am curious! I have the skills to lay it out but don't know if it has ever been done!
:-D

Sgt Hulka

I have been contemplating my first ever non-spray can painting experience for my M1009. You're my hero. Fine work! Hope you still call it "Pinky" though...

drjconley

I have painted two five tons with an airless house sprayer. I am pleased with the results. It certainly goes alot faster than the gun I use to paint cars.

Jim

Spin

Looks **** good. I especially like the "Pink Pintle/bumper mounts", adds a nice touch. I tell you what, it looks awsome, shame that the original camo wasn't salvagable.

Spin

Pawnshop

Looks **** good. I especially like the "Pink Pintle/bumper mounts", adds a nice touch. I tell you what, it looks awsome, shame that the original camo wasn't salvagable.

Spin
Thank you! I had to leave SOME pink, it's under the pintleball hitch. The original camo was faded and poorly touched up over the years, and I like the newer pattern anyway so I went with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks