• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Payload

NCINIRATOR

I thought my post was posted! I thought I overloaded my CUCV the other day, I picked up some tile and mix....Total weight 1410 pounds.

Is the paylaod on the CUCV 1200?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll find that military rigs can easily take being overloaded. Their components are built a lot heavier than civilian rigs. This doesn't mean that you can overload, than race down the road and do the slalom on a wet road, you need to be careful to avoid losing control. But your suspension can take the load.

acetomatoco

My usual rant about the manuals...The operators manual states: M1009 payload 1200 lbs... M1008 payload 2900 lbs.. M1010 2080 lbs M1028 3600 lbs and so forth. Payload includes passengers and driver... Your comment re 1200 lbs leads me to believe this topic is re the M1009 GVW of 6400 lbs. I would not be concerned with your load of 1400 lbs for short distances on improved roads with proper distribution within cargo area... ACE

CCATLETT1984

I've had 5000lbs in tha back of the m1008 and not had the suspension bottomed out. the truck didnt behave bad, although the truck sat around half an inch lower in the rear than the front. This was before the lift was installed and i had load range "E" tires on it

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Payload

maddawg308 said:
You'll find that military rigs can easily take being overloaded. Their components are built a lot heavier than civilian rigs.
Ummm...actually no. Pretty much everything is off the shelf stuff that GM already sold in the civilian trucks except maybe not in the same combinations.

The Blazers and M1008's are basically equipped with the highest GVWR springs they came with standard while the M1028's got the "had to be specially ordered" springs that required the civilian camper, tow, and snowplow packages to be ordered at the same time.

Drivetrain and suspension wise there isn't anything in these trucks that the civilian vehicles didn't have in some way.

Even for a K5 that load doesn't sound horrendous or potentially dangerous unless you intend to do it a lot or drive a long distance like that. A pickup wouldn't even sweat with that load.

NCINIRATOR

A pickup wouldn't even sweat with that load.
Which is one of the reasons why I'm buying a used Ford F250 SD Turbo Diesel :p and selling the CUCV :( to help off set the price. Look for it on E-bay some time after next week, when I get back from my short vacation.

I love my CUCV but it isnt practical for me anymore.

AJMBLAZER

Ah, so you do have the CUCV Blazer. That didn't make sense to me at first.
SD's are good trucks though!

NCINIRATOR said:
Which is one of the reasons why I'm buying a used Ford F250 SD Turbo Diesel :p and selling the CUCV :( to help off set the price. Look for it on E-bay some time after next week, when I get back from my short vacation.

I love my CUCV but it isnt practical for me anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks