• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PCB and pencil questions

frogman2

Looking for an Engine Control Module Black ignition box mounted outside firewall on driver's side that fits a 1992 BMY M925A2.Mine works when it wants to.Has anbody repaired one or can it be done?

any way to remove grease pencil writing without ruining paint?

Thanx in advance for any help.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Search engine control module, there have been posts of them being repaired and pics showing the insides.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search should resolve both questions. Plenty of good threads on both topics.

Do not post thread titles with exclamation points unless you are broke down on the road.
Need Help!!!
, well don't we all? Use a title that is relevant to the issue.

Also, try the classifieds.

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get the grease pencil on CARC off with brake cleaner. Make sure you use a white rag. The brake cleaner will bleed the color out of colored rags and onto the paint.

frogman2

Thanx to all that replied

Sorry guys I'm a little new to working on the M939 series,been working/modifying on M35's,M151's,Mule's,CUCV, and Humvees as a hobby for the last 30 years or so in between work/deployments/raising a family so forgive my lack of computer savvy.Tried searches before and more than not came up with zip,so that is why I asked for help or a link to something that might help.

Already have been trying the Classified just throwing a shout out to maybe someone who may have one that is not listed or may know how to repair.Acts like a sticking relay as a good whack with a rubber mallet usually does the trick.Will any one from a 900 series work or are they motor specific

Tried Brake Clean and it won't touch the white stuff,it worked on the black and yellow,thought about just sanding and retouching paint with spray cans if anything was close to the 3 color camo.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It also help if you DO NOT post as if you are texting, 8th grade english has worked well in the past, there is no point to change not,

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check the ground point of the box. It alond with the ABS harness ground through the lower right (as you face it) mounting lug, I have found two that still had paint on the faces of the spacers, which will prevent a good ground. Floating grounds cause a lot of trouble.

frogman2

73m819

Really?Thanx for your absolutely worthless contribution to the inquiry.I don't text ever so once again pardon my ignorance.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frogman,
Try red Scotch-Brite and a little carb cleaner. Most of these trucks have several coats of paint and I have worked the area
with the Scotch-Brite pad until the grease marker is gone, still leaving plenty of paint to work with. Flat black it the trickiest, but easiest to touch up with a spray can. My avatar photo came off pretty easy and the flat black touch up looked great.
JC

frogman2

Scar59

Tried that just before you posted,it definately did the trick,finished the residual clean-up with Brake Cleaner,not quite as harsh but doesn't dry quite as fast.

I still need to do a little paint touch-up.Is there any specific brand that is close to matching up for 3-color camo?

Thanx again to all that have contributed useful Intel.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frog,
Try Avroe flat black, typical flat. Rapco 383 green works for the green or the flat camo colors for hunters at HomeDepot work well, the brown is real close. Experiment with distance when spraying. Sometime a light overspray work.
JC

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tried Brake Clean and it won't touch the white stuff,it worked on the black and yellow,thought about just sanding and retouching paint with spray cans if anything was close to the 3 color camo.
Brake cleaner took the white stuff off my M929 and there was a lot of it. Maybe they had better white grease pencils where you got your truck....