• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PCS from Las Vegas, NV to FT. Sam Houston, TX

Well, the time has come. Me and the family are PCSing from Las Vegas, NV (recruiting duty) to Fort Sam Houston (San Antonio) TX. The plan (currently) is to convoy in the M35A2(109) with the M105, a 14ft Uhaul and our car. The M35 is currently undergoing its M109 conversion, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-.../87273-airbornebandsmans-m109-conversion.html .

The plan is to load up the week of July 9th, sign out of housing the 13th and start driving on the 13th. We plan on taking:

US-93s to I-40e, to US-285s, to I-10e into San Antonio. Total distance of 1305mi. So it shouldn't be too bad. LOL.

http://www.mapquest.com/embed?hk=KrDPNm

I will keep this updated with our progress as we get closer to the move. If anybody is able to help along the way please sound-off.

Thanks,

runk

US-285 is one hot fast road ! (at least from Carlsbad to I-10)
Not where I'd want to drive a M35/109 in July. We did a meandering trip from Houston to San Diego 2 summers ago, and that was the hottest (115F) and just about loneliest (I-8 in Arizona was close) road we used. At 85-90 MPH I was getting passed a lot in Texas, NM slowed down to 75-80.
The I-10 speed limit most of the way from El Paso is 80, but may be raised to 85 in some sections. And again, at 85-90 I was passed regularly.

On the other hand, Carlsbad caverns was awesome, and Artesia had a neat old downtown area, good brewpub, and nice historic hotel. We were glad we spent the night there instead of Carlsbad.

If you don't need to hit I-10, maybe some of the San Antonio / West Texas crowd can suggest a more M35/109 friendly route...

Good Luck !

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still in OKC and if there is anything I can help with let me know.

I can have parts overnighted if neccesary.

Thanks again for your help last year with the Suburban recovery.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We'll miss you all, but we understand.... We'll do everything we can to make sure your trip is set up right from the get-go.

Ok, an update. The plan is to drive the route in the first post. Stop in Gallup, NM the first night. Carlsbad, NM the second and end in San Antonio the third. That's about 430 Miles (9.5 hours of driving)a day, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Now on to the repairs. Got the front cover off, but whoever tore the engine apart last put RTV silicone arond and on each gasket so when we took off the front cover it made it so I have to replace the oil pan gasket as well, yay. And better yet, the gasket kit I got is missing the front cover gasket. So that has to wait until Monday, but all the gears look to be in great shape.

But at least I can pack up the truck while I wait for parts.

Attachments

Another update. Got the engine back together (and it even runs). Got my nice newish M105 loaded with 19 9.00x20 tires (gotta have a couple spares) a couple M35 bumpers and a 55 gallon plastic barrel. Thats enough for today. so this weekend I will finish loading the truck and get them weighed.

Attachments

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk about my supposed "superhuman efforts".....how in the world did you get all of those tires & wheels in that m105????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
US 285 is also lonely. Whole lotta nothing between Carlsbad and Pecos, and then over to Ft. Stockton. I ran 90MPH all the way, and only saw 3 other cars, one of which passed me!

kochevnik

We just made this trip a few weeks ago - car hauling a trailer Vegas to San Antonio - that was the last half of our trip from Oregon. That's a lot of driving and a lot of hot. We stopped in Holbrook AZ 1st day after seeing Meteor Crater (way too expensive but a helluva sight) then Roswell NM (tons of cops all over) they stopped us and searched our trailer - most likely for drugs or illegals - saw more cops near Roswell than the rest of the trip combined.

West TX the land of white pickup trucks - every other truck was one.

We ended up driving from Kerrville on the 4th day. Lots of hills to go up all along the trip. Best of luck.

Motorcar

Getting the tires in the 105 proves you are a better man than I am. Best wishes on the trip, hot and lonely in West Texas, when you get hills and Live Oak trees you are almost there! Welcome to San Antonio.

Ok, got a real late start today. Left Las Vegas around 530p. After about 3 hours we had gone 100 miles and made it to Kingman, AZ. Hills are not a loaded M35s friend, was down to 15 MPH quite a few times. No mechanical issues. Hoping to make it to Albuqurque, NM tomorrow.

Ok, we made it into San Antonio, TX late yesterday afternoon. Ended up getting 7.5 miles per gallon (even with a Class III fuel leak that I could not get to stop). I have never had to shift into a lower gar on the fly, but some of the hills in AZ, and NM slowed me down to around 20 MPH (especially the one heading out of Albuqurque, NM on 40 E). Engine ran at a fairly constant 190F, but it did get into the 205-210F range on a few on the bigger hills. had no mechanical issues until we were getting ready to leave Roswell, NM and the wire between the solenoid(?) on the engine and the started shorted out, but lucky a screwdriver made a quick fix of that.

Thank you everyone who offered help, I really appreciate it. Luckily we didn't need it.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear you made it OK, in spite of the fuel leak...where's it coming from?

Mik the Road Warrior!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks