• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PE-150 engine, new find

m139h2otruck

In April, a friend and I went to a local junk yard that has been closed for a while. The original owner is gone, but the son is still mining the yard for high grade scrap. Says he has a "tank" engine in one of the trailers, so we look it over and decide it is a ground power unit. Friend buys it and it was delvered last week (junkys never are in a hurry, unless it involves money). See attached photos. Unit is marked PE-150, rebuilt in the '80s. Missing both side covers, and one exhaust manifold. Starter was messed up, but was fixed and the engine cranks w/ no spark. Will be fixing next. Any idea on parts? What is max rpm? Assume hp is somewhere around 150-175 @ 2500?? Bell housing is an SAE #4. Junky says it was on a test trailer for hydro?
Thanks

Attachments

wassbiplane

Yep, they were used as GPU's-(ground power units) as electrical generators, hydraulic mules,
portable air compressors, etc--so they wouldn't have to start up the big fans,just to check the
cigarette lighters.. Jerry

rickf

Question here, How would I know if the piece of equipment I am looking at has that particular engine in it unless I ask? Most people are not going to be interested in a 400 hz. generator for anything but the engine. You notice it is not I that asked about the genset but I do think it is a viable question. My other question is this, Why is it ALWAYS someone OTHER THAN a mod who raises a fuss about this? Isn't it the mods job to point these things out? I am just saying this would be a much friendlier site if two thirds of the people on it were not trying to be in charge and go out of their way to point things out.

Rick

Question here, How would I know if the piece of equipment I am looking at has that particular engine in it unless I ask? Most people are not going to be interested in a 400 hz. generator for anything but the engine. You notice it is not I that asked about the genset but I do think it is a viable question. My other question is this, Why is it ALWAYS someone OTHER THAN a mod who raises a fuss about this? Isn't it the mods job to point these things out? I am just saying this would be a much friendlier site if two thirds of the people on it were not trying to be in charge and go out of their way to point things out.

Rick
So your just saying that the site would be better without the rules?
The post could have been easily made without linking the GL auction. Just save and post the pictures, then ask generic info about it.

We, the members of this site, are asked to police ourselves. We do not need a mod to clarify every issue. This site would be better if us two thirds did not have to inform you of the rules, and would be even better if you could get past such a correction without crying.

Last edited:

frodobaggins

Rick

The point is, someone may be interested in that piece of equipment. It is just as easy to save the picture or jot down the model number as it is to post the link.
I have had things I personally was bidding on posted on the site as innocent questions. The bids were much higher as a result. That pissed me off, wouldn't it piss you off ?

rickf

Your points about cut, paste generic info is valid, I would not have thought to do that. Yes I would be pissed if the price went up because of the post although anyone looking for that item has most likely already seen it on G/L. Your smart assed answers to my questions are the main reason I complain, that is what I see most of the time from the "good ole boys" club here. High posters who think they do not need to answer questions anymore. I have talked to Chris about this and he has agreed to what I say. It is not just me. Yes the rules have to be followed, but not with an iron fist.

Rick

Just posted the rule, no insults, nothing smart assed, no iron fist.
If Chris has a problem with my post, I hope he contacts me. Some of us "high post" "good ole boys" got that way because we can get along with others
I enjoy this site and want it to be a good time, as well as informative. If it's so bad, just move-on.
Now back to PE-150s.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Glad you pointed out to get us back to the PE-150's, I was beginning to think this thread had no more useful content. Other than name dropping and useless post to drive up someones post count.

Great unit, best of luck getting it running. Please keep up posted on the progress. This is a new piece to me and I always like learning how new-to-me stuff works.

wassbiplane

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do , get my post up count so I can sell one (1) data plate for a 2 wheel trailer---but I try to make comments useful--like the PE-150 --I converted a PE-90 to airplane status--fuel injection-dual plugs, etc---leetle heavy but $600~~ vs $6,000± Jerry

m139h2otruck

This last weekend, the PE-150 engine started after 20 years of storage. Sounds great with just a straight 3" stack and no muffler. Needs a carb kit and some additional tuning but it did start and run. Any ideas for where we could get a TM on the web?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks