• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pennsylvania “Military Historic Vehicle” Plates for HMMWV

WildWiley

Hi all - looking to get my HMMWV titled in PA with the newer historic military plates they came out with in 2019. I was curious what the procedure is or if someone has been through this before that could help me out. All I currently have is the SF97 that has the Off road use stamp on it. Has anyone gone through this process before? Would I be better off just using a bill of sale rather than taking the SF97 to penndot?
If you could message me maybe on your experiences or guidance it would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
I'd recommend an appointment with a knowledgeable notary. Key word is knowledgeable. I have a M221 that I purchased and it was not titled. Had the SF97. Notary took care of it and I have an antique plate. I was offered the MV plates but wasn't interested in the additional cost at the time. Not sure about the off road stamp in PA. Ask the notary...

Guy

Buck Wampum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an older post, but let me share my experience with the PA military vehicle plate. First of all you have to have a 25-year-old vehicle. If it isn’t already registered as an antique (at least 25 years old) in Pennsylvania, you have to simultaneously register it as an antique and then also apply for the historical military vehicle plate. So, think of the historic military plate as a subcategory of antique plates in Pennsylvania. If it’s not an antique, you’re not going to get a historical military vehicle plate.

Because you have to get the antique registration anyhow, I recommend registering the vehicle as an antique and getting the antique plate. After you get your antique plate, you can drive your car around and then apply for a historical military vehicle plate. When that plate comes in, you retire the antique plate. The benefit of doing this is the antique plates in Pennsylvania are good for your lifetime. So since you’re paying the antique registration anyhow, you want to get that antique plate first and then you can keep it and put it on another antique car later on. Just be aware that it takes about three months to get an antique plate, so don’t wait till the last minute to get it registered.

I also recommend this “ antique first “ method because I waited six months to get my historical military vehicle plate. The problem was, when I did it in 2020, the instructions were not clear that the vehicle had to be registered as an antique first. It was a fiasco because PennDOT omitted that from the instructions on the form used to apply for the military plate. They have since corrected that. I am not sure how long it takes to get a historical military vehicle plate nowadays, but I bet it’s longer then the time required for a normal antique plate, because they’re rare and I think it depends on who is processing your application. Play it safe and get the normal antique plate first.

To give you an idea of how screwed up the program was, I got my military plate in the spring of 2021, after the program had been in place for three years. They were only up to number 32 in the sequence of plates. 32 plates in three years, in a state that has a lot of military vehicles in it. If you do a search on the G503 website forum, there was a guy there who went 18 months trying to get a plate. He ended up with plate number four. So the learning curve is getting better, but I wouldn’t bet on a speedy issuance of the plate.

Based on your post, your vehicle is not titled or registered in Pennsylvania. You cannot get a title in Pennsylvania from a bill of sale. You must have a title or a transferable registration from another state, to get a title in PA.

You can register your truck in New York State from a bill of sale if you have a weigh slip as well. Then you can transfer it to Pennsylvania from there. In New York State, you’ll have to get a title, because your HMMWV will be made after 1975.

Cars made in 1974 or earlier get a transferable registration in NY. I inherited a 1969 military vehicle from a friend in New York on a transferable registration, and had no problem getting it titled in PA as an antique. Because I already had an antique plate, I walked out the same day with my registration and could immediately begin driving the car. This fall, when I store the vehicle for the winter, I’ll apply for the historical military vehicle plate and should have it by spring.

JJP

Buck Wampum - what's the benefit of the military plate? Know anything about titling it with the sf97 in PA as an antique?

Buck Wampum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the time I got my historic military plate, the paperwork made it seem like you could get the mil plate for the same price as the antique plate. So I filled out the paperwork for the mil pkate and got bogged down in PennDOT because the computer system was saying they needed an antique registration first. Now the paperwork for the mil plate is clear, so maybe the plates come through quicker now. As I mentioned, though, since you’re paying for the antique registration, I would do the registration in two phases so you get to keep the antique plate when you eventually switch over to military plate. I had an antique plate from a prior car, and when I got a second armored vehicle, I was able to go down and register it and drive it the same day because I already had an antique plate to put on it. Otherwise you’re looking at a three month wait just for the antique plate.

The main reason I got the mil plate was because the requirements for the mil plate said the vehicle had to be maintained and have the appearance as it did when in military service. I have an armored car that says military police on it and has US Army markings on it. I did not want anyone to be able to tell me you couldn’t have army /MP markings on the vehicle. In some states that can be a problem. Friends of mine with “military police” marked vehicles who live outside of PA have had to cover up the “police” part when out on the road with the vehicle. Same goes for the demilled guns in the turret. Just wanted to make sure nobody could say you can’t have those driving down the road, because that’s how the vehicle was in military service. So now, technically, it’s a requirement as part of the historic military vehicle registration.

i’ve never tried to register vehicle off an SF 97. You would have to talk to a local notary in PA and see if the SF97 counts as a title or transferable registration. That’s the only two ways I know of to get a vehicle on the road in PA. You can’t just walk in with the bill of sale. And that’s why it really pays to have an antique plate already, because you can walk out that day with the temporary registration using your pre-existing antique plate and start driving the car immediately. If after two or three months, pennDOT has an issue, at least you get to use your vehicle while waiting to get it all straightened out.

Buck Wampum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buck Wampum - what's the benefit of the military plate? Know anything about titling it with the sf97 in PA as an antique?
I forgot to add, just make sure anything with the SF 97 is 25 years old or you won’t get an antique plate or a historic military vehicle registration. You may be able to register it as a classic if it’s at least 20 years old. I think that’s where a lot of guys with HMMWV’s are going to have a problem, if they were vehicles made in the early 2000s. I don’t know anybody in PA who owns a HMMWV, so I’m not sure how hard they are to get registered here. I’m sure there’ are many threads on the topic somewhere on the board.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks