• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pennsylvania M35A2 owners.....A couple questions for you.

ah1955

Pennsylvania M35A2 owners.... A couple questions ror you.

The Pa. antique tag is $75 plus $22.50 title fee and is permenent and no insp. is required. You do need 4 pic. front, rear, and boyh sides.
The reg. is very restrictive on how used,(shows, paraides, club meets, and occanal use that is defined as once a week.
As far as what you can get away with depends on your area police, in my area the police are very aware of the rules (both state&local police) and they do inforce them the one they love is the one that says you can't haul anything, the next one on there list is the once a week local cops have nailed guys driving to work everday.

rockman

I drove my M35 quite a alot and hauled wood, sand, gravel, and topsoil with no problems. My neighbor has an antique plate on a M35 with a HIAB boom that he pick up logs with and he has not been stopped. Another buddy uses his M35 to pull his trailer around and he has not been stopped.

I guess it depends on how much you intend on driving and hauling. The hot rod folks that used antique plated instead of street rods plates got busted all the time. For casual driving and personal use, the antique plates worked for me.

Bill

BEASTMASTER

you guys got it made. here in wonderful taxachusetts i pay $450 for # plates and $1900 for ins. all i do is putt around , run in parades,& plow snow for the town. :driver:

smokinblack

blackrock said:
any of you guys in PA try the "farm registration"? it looks like a good deal do you know how much land you need? thanks Kyle
I'm going to try and find that one out. There is a pretty good description of farm vehicle uses on the PaDot site, but no mention of acreage requirements as far as I can see.

blackrock

smokinblack said:
blackrock said:
any of you guys in PA try the "farm registration"? it looks like a good deal do you know how much land you need? thanks Kyle
I'm going to try and find that one out. There is a pretty good description of farm vehicle uses on the PaDot site, but no mention of acreage requirements as far as I can see.

If you find out please let me know that would be a good idea. thanks kyle

smokinblack

blackrock said:
smokinblack said:
blackrock said:

If you find out please let me know that would be a good idea. thanks kyle
Here's the only thig I've found so far. I'll keep looking.

http://www.pfb.com/news/Brochures/07-farmvehicle.pdf

bigjmcconnell

Bringing this back up. I'll be registering in PA. Looks like I'm going to go with an antique plate. I can't justify the cost of a commerical plate and insurance for the few times that I'll haul something.

I have another vehicle with antique plates, but I never tow or haul cargo with it...

I heard PA was giving trouble with drivers licenses too because of the 3 axles. I'll have to find that thread.

Last edited:

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have all my mvs tagged historical,I even use my M817 for work in my excavating business.I moved my excavator last week with the M923, As long as you dont drive it everyday your pretty safe.Sometimes you just have to sneak and peek and slip and slide to save money....Good luck..

Akicita

I had a tough time finding an insurer despite my accident-free and violation-free driving record and vehicles up to 22 tons. State Farm eventually agreed to insure the truck 'cause I have my cars insured with them. I pay a little more than most of you 'cause I'm close to Philadelphia, and that's a high insurance rate district.
My truck has regular plates. I did not want to be limited in my usage of the truck, or driving distance. The Deuce replaced my old pick-up truck and it has done a great job so far hauling trees limbs, firewood, horse manure, not to mention all the trips to the Home Depot for building supplies that would not have fit into a regular p/u truck, and all the nifty things I can do with it on the property here.

Attachments

spicergear

I've had a M35A2 registered in PA since 1999. I've had two different ones both registered antique/historical. 1st was a cargo bought direct from DRMO before GL days and 2nd bought private. No problems titleing; I had a SF97 both times. 1st was a cargo; 2nd is a cargo truck now with a civvy dump. I insure mine with Progressive; not the cheapest but good insurance coverage... ...
HA! I was just told by my local insurance company/home town broker, that progressive has NEVER covered a military truck. Stupidheads...

Chevyman_15237

When I first bought my deuce a couple years ago, I had it registered as a class 7 truck. $350 a year for registration, $400 for insurance through Erie (commercial policy due to weight class) and twice a year for inspection. Since then, I've cleaned it up and registered as an antique (one time fee of $75.00 plus 22.50 for the plate) and kept the same insurance because it is good coverage. I tried going the antique insurance route, but most companies want it in a locked garage (with the according pictures sent in) before they will approve it. THe same insurance companies give you limitations on driving. As far as the limitations from the state regarding and antique plate, it says in the PA motor vehicle code "occasional driving or once a week". Well if there are 52 weeks in a year, I should be able to drive it 52 days then! I talked to a local cop... he said as long as you aren't seen driving it everyday you are pretty much in the clear!

Oros35

Just got mine all legal. Antique plates, Haggerty Insurance. Insurance is about $100/year. Plate and all title fees ran me about $150 total one time fee. ($75-plate, 22.50 title, Notary fees, etc.) 4 pictures, no questions, right off the GL lot.

Plates and insurance restrict it to occational use, no hauling and insurance is not extended to trailers. That will be my primary use for it. Just a pleasure ride. If I need to haul with it, it will be at my own risk, and I'm ok with that considering it only costs me $100 /year to make it street legal.

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

I have Haggerty coverage on my truck and Jeep also. Cheap! They told me my only restriction was I couldn't use my vehicles for reenactments!

I filed for my antique plate for my M35A2 about a week and a half ago with some odd ball NY state paperwork. Hopefully I get that back OK.