• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Perry Point MD M880 in civilian colors... Anybody been to Perry Point VA center????

61sleepercab

I have been on GSA auction site watching retiring M880 s out of fire service at auction. Saw some nice trucks in Timbuktu USA but finally found/bid in a Perry Point MD M880 Dodge ,52,000 miles and salvage title. Truck is white and seems whole. I have some questions:
1.Has anyone done a Perry Point MD VA center pickup?
2. Is their a way to trace service life of M880 other than layers of paint color?
My buddy is planning a Cummings 6 cylinder transplant as he is a Dodge truck man and He can get 25 mpg in a crew cab 3/4 ton on the interstate. He needs the body and frame as civilian light 3/4 front wheel bearings will not hold up with Cummings hanging on the front.
I will keep you all posted on capture of "Moby Dick the M880 white whale" which is 400 mile one way recovery. I have watched several youtube videos on eating Chesapeake Bay Crab....... you would laugh at us land bound West Virginia Mountaineers trying to eat sea food other than fish sticks. Hope for fun trip. Here are the pictures of Moby Dick and Sandy the 5 ton her big brother. Mark
76dodge2.jpg76dodge.jpgbwf m925.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if the 880's Dana 44 front is gonna like the 6BT either. Love my 880 except for the poor fuel economy.

61sleepercab

Anthill you will have to tell me about your truck because I threw a bid or two on it also. Was it a pilot convoy truck or airport taxi way queen? I talked to the fleet manager by phone and might get you some information on your truck.
Moby Dick turned out to be a campus maintenance truck driven only on the grounds and was active until parked two years ago. Friday is planned rescue day. Mark

Anthill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you are the one who bid me up - hope I was kind enough to return the favor - lol
I just couldn't say no to the truck for $652. I wasn't able to speak with the fleet manager so i would appreciate any info you have on it. I'm not sure if I am going to rescue her Thursday or Friday, I have to see what my schedule permits. If I wind up going on Friday maybe we can do lunch.
I have to sneak down there as wifey is not aware of my recent capital venture. It'll be stored at my warehouse so I can take my time in breaking it to her.

Ant

fireball

You want to eat at Woody's in Northeast MD. 10 miles north of Perry Point. They know their seafood there but you really want the MD soft blue crabs. Season just started so your timing couldn't be better for a unique taste. While at Perry Point, look up at the blimp because they are looking down at you, they will probably track you all the way home from there

61sleepercab

Fireball, Woody"s sounds interesting,the town name Northeast threw me for a loop thinking the name was compass directions from Perry Point. Reminds me of folks in Iowa at Midwest Thrashers Reunion. I asked where the post office was in town and was told "two blocks East". Glad it was sunny that day or I would never have found place.

fireball

It could be Northeast of Perry Point, depends on who is holding the compass. Also be aware that Rt 40 in the Perryville area has multiple layers of police enforcement because trucks are trying to avoid the scales and inspection on I95. I have seen the bridge police get their man 10 miles from the bridge, just one of those areas that you need all your paperwork and inspections in order. Perry Point is a beautiful spot when the sailboats are out but the physical plant of the hospital is rather depressing. The city park part of the point is a fantastic place to have a picnic but to gain entrance you have to go out of your way for 5 miles to get there, over by Ikea warehouse.

Put those Midwest guys in your hills and hollows and they are lost because they can't see the sun. Tell them to drive down the road a piece till they see the yellow sweatshirt in the dead tree across from JimBob's old truck. If they see grass growing down the middle of the road, they don't have a reason to be there

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M880 is the same as a civi 3/4 ton.
That being said a dressed & lubed 6bt can go about 1100lbs where the stock 318 comes in about 700 lbs.
So we are looking at 400 maybe 500 extra pounds depending on trans choice.
The D44-8F is rated @ 3500 lbs.
The plow & bumper hanging off the front of my M884 weighs every bit of 500+ lbs, been used on there for decades, yes decades.
I haven't done anything to the front axle but put brakes on it & lube in it.
IM002600s.JPG

Last edited:

61sleepercab

Bob H you have a good looking unit there. Friend is currently putting in wheel bearings in his 3/4 Dodge for the recovery trip. The difference is he has a 4x2 while you have a straight axle. He has cab problems(rust) and will combine M880 body and frame with Cummings power and one ton axles from a donor Dodge. I will call it the Beast. I hope for a sea food filled recovery.

Carter

Just across the river from Perry Point on Water Street is Price's Seafood where you will get the best steamed crabs in Cecil or Harford county. Head west on US Rte. 40 across the bridge and make a left at the first traffic light, Pizza Hut is on the right. Follow that street toward the river and make a left onto Water Street (which is the last street before the river at the abutment for the railroad bridge) on Water Street Price's will be on the left. Great food, low cost.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks