• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Persistent belt squeal continues

Finnegan1008

Based on the advice from another thread, I just went through the exercise of aligning all of my pulleys. Along with this, I replaced my wobbly crank pulley, replaced my harmonic balancer and put all new belts from hillbilly wizard.

This eliminated my best squeal for about a week.

Since then I’ve put about a hundred miles on the truck. At first, the truck was producing a slight squeal on a cold start if I gave it any throttle. This would clear up pretty quickly once the engine came to temperature. Now I noticed the squeal is becoming more persistent, and the Belts now starting to squeal momentarily from a dead stop.

My belt tension seems adequate, I’m resisting the urge to increase the tension and risk of abusing alternator bearings.

I’m wondering if maybe I have an accessory that’s starting to go bad? I have what I think is a slight bearing noise coming from one of my alternators. When I start up my GEN 2 light will stay on, and my electrical gauge will read below 24 V until I blip the throttle then the light will go out in the gauge will go back to 24 V. If I do this the GEN light will stay off.

I saw a YouTube video where a guy change the alternator pulleys out and supposedly eliminated his belt squeal, to me it sounds weird that the factory pulleys wouldn’t work with a fairly standard belt.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Could one of my alternators be going bad causing too much resistance?

Barrman

A few things came to mind while reading your post:

How old are your batteries and are they fully charged? Mine only squeal on start up if they have been sitting a long while, very, very long glow time or if I left the lights on.

Try tightening the belts just a bit more. They stretch out the first few heat cycles they go through. That might end it.

The alternator pulleys are stamped steel. They can widen out over the decades and let the inside surface of the belt touch the pulley. The load is supposed to be carried by both sides of the belt. Look at your pulleys. You can see the little step in there the belt is supposed to be on. If you have the proper belts, they should be higher than the edge of the pulley when tightened up. If the belt and the pulley are even or the pulley rim is above the belt. Your pulleys are spread or you have belts that are too thin.

Finnegan1008

Batteries have tested healthy, I will try a little more tension I noticed one could probably use it.

Is the GEN2 light staying on at startup normal? It clears with a little throttle, the gauge goes to green and then stays off.

This weekend I want to start cleaning electrical connections in case there is any fowling

Also one of my Pulleys is level with the belt. I know they make solid ones and may swap it

cucvrus

The Gen 2 staying on at startup is normal. The voltmeter should be in the upper green. there is a little tick mark on the stock voltmeter. The needle should stay there on a properly operating CUCV in stock form. But bypassing the resistors on the firewall will make the Gen 1 squeal hard because you are pulling all the voltage out of the front battery to light the glow plugs. No modifications are needed. The CUCV works fine for all these years in stock form. I drove them 27 years without any fox head rely conversions or cascading glow plugs. Did I have glow plugs and relays fail in 27 years. YES. I replaced the parts that failed and drove on. Good Luck, Be Safe and have a great weekend.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might sound crazy but old school:
Use a bar of soap and let the belt rub on it running.
Does sound go away? Belt is suspect old or dry.
Move on to each belt and repeat.

CenterMass762

Mine does the same thing with the Gen 2 light staying on and low voltage until I blip the throttle. The generator has been needing replaced for a solid 6 months, as evidenced by the very slight glow of the Gen 2 light all the time. It still charges, though, so I haven't got around to replacing it. Maybe your alternator is going bad, too.

I had the same exact belt squeal problem, too. Tightening the belts a bit solved the issue. They were brand new belts so they stretched and loosened a bit while breaking in and started to squeal.

cucvrus

I have a local alternator shop that fixed that faint glow of Gen 2. I also had him install self-exciting voltage regulators on a CUCV plow truck because I had nothing but trouble with the idiot lights and the people driving it without knowing if it was charging or not. He did something to my truck to eliminate the low glow of Gen 2 a common issue. I think a relay was added or something. Not sure anymore. But it worked great and I have since sold the CUCV's I had as personal drivers.

BGR

Mine does the same. One belt is a little longer then. the other so Im chalking it up to the left and right belts being mixed up. Perhaps that is your issue as well.

cucvrus

My advice is to go to the parts store and take whatever tools you need to change the belts. Remove the belts and push the alternators all the way into the lowest point in adjustment. Take the Gen 2 belt in and ask for one shorter and take the new belt and slip it on Gen 2. Did it go on easy? If it did go back in and get one a bit shorter. I actually get a belt that fits tight enough that I can use a wrench and spin the pulley of the alternator to get the belt on. Tighten it and move onto Gen 1. I spin the alternator pully with the center nut of the pulley. I did it for years and eliminated belt squeal. I live in a small town and the Men at the parts store know me. It works at Autozone also. I have not found that a particular belt number fits every CUCV. At one time GM OEM belts were Dayco and they were the perfect fix. I even used green lawn mower belts and red Kevlar belts. They worked. I mean a lawn mower takes a lot of abuse. Do as you wish. But once the pullies are polished and shiny, they will rust very quickly and chew belts up fast. I had me pullies changed to solid pullies and tossed the stamped pullies. Good Luck. Stop squealing on each other. No body likes a Squealer.

Finnegan1008

I’ve got a good fit on my belts all of the accessories are in the middle of the adjustment range. I think my alternator pulleys have been spread out over years of abuse. I plan to change them with solid steel units.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks