• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PETLAS Has anyone tried these tires?

mccullek

Overall the reviews for the company are very good, they started out making Military aircraft tires
They are from Turkey
Did you find out anything on these tires? Any idea on prices? I would love a new set for mine. My set is still in rather good condition, but I need to remove the run flats. If I go to that much trouble, I would like to put a new set of tires on it and have them balanced well.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Autonomy_Lost

This seller is selling 1,2,4,5 and 6 at a time, no discount for multiples.

What am I missing? You can get brand new enforcers for cheaper...

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about "brand new" but Feltz has the Enforcers 2020+ date code 100% tread for $350 each. With freight that would put you in the same price range.
I sent in for a shipping quote so the actual price can be compared, although I would expect it to be less than the $90 difference in price.
Of course the Goodyears could be made in China or any other of a host of third world countries.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent in for a shipping quote so the actual price can be compared, although I would expect it to be less than the $90 difference in price.
Of course the Goodyears could be made in China or any other of a host of third world countries.
When I got my Baja tires from them, they gave me a call to give me options for either to my house or to a freight dock. The dock was an hour away, but about $200 cheaper.
I think it was about $300 for the freight for 4 tires to the dock.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With shipping they would be about $100 less than the Petlas for 5 tires, so pretty much a wash.
Still curious if anyone had tried these.

mccullek

With shipping they would be about $100 less than the Petlas for 5 tires, so pretty much a wash.
Still curious if anyone had tried these.
I went to the Feltz site to see what was available and I can get a set of 4 Goodyear tires with 98% tread shipped to my house for about $800. That's not a bad deal and close to new tires really. They did say you may have to clean out some of the old run flat lubricant, but for a $1K in savings, that's worth the small amount of work that would take.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to the Feltz site to see what was available and I can get a set of 4 Goodyear tires with 98% tread shipped to my house for about $800. That's not a bad deal and close to new tires really. They did say you may have to clean out some of the old run flat lubricant, but for a $1K in savings, that's worth the small amount of work that would take.
That would probably be OK for most, but I use mine as a daily driver, I bought some late date NOS BFGs and after 13K or so they are going out of round. not a problem at 55-60 but at real highway speeds it sucks.
I have a suspicion that they just build the military contract tires to the absolute minimum required to fulfill the basic military requirements (as they are a for profit company) and would like to explore other options, 17" would be one way but I have not found any rims I like.

mccullek

That would probably be OK for most, but I use mine as a daily driver, I bought some late date NOS BFGs and after 13K or so they are going out of round. not a problem at 55-60 but at real highway speeds it sucks.
I have a suspicion that they just build the military contract tires to the absolute minimum required to fulfill the basic military requirements (as they are a for profit company) and would like to explore other options, 17" would be one way but I have not found any rims I like.
I didn't consider drivability of the tires, so you make a good point. Maybe someone that has changed from the military's tires to non-military can chime in as to any driving improvement with non-military tires. I know removing the run flats will make a difference, so I don't mean that way, but rather do non-military tires give you a noticeably better driving experience than the Goodyear military spec'd tires with run-flats removed? Is it normal for the military ones to go out of round?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't consider drivability of the tires, so you make a good point. Maybe someone that has changed from the military's tires to non-military can chime in as to any driving improvement with non-military tires. I know removing the run flats will make a difference, so I don't mean that way, but rather do non-military tires give you a noticeably better driving experience than the Goodyear military spec'd tires with run-flats removed? Is it normal for the military ones to go out of round?
There is going to be a very noticeable difference between military and non military, simply due to the amount of weight involved. You lose about 1/3 to 1/2 of the weight by going non-military tires, and unsprung weight makes a huge difference in ride quality.
The military doesn't care about ride quality as long as it doesn't hurt the vehicle or occupants much, andthey mostly aren't expected to exceed 50mph in military use anyway.

mccullek

There is going to be a very noticeable difference between military and non military, simply due to the amount of weight involved. You lose about 1/3 to 1/2 of the weight by going non-military tires, and unsprung weight makes a huge difference in ride quality.
The military doesn't care about ride quality as long as it doesn't hurt the vehicle or occupants much, andthey mostly aren't expected to exceed 50mph in military use anyway.
Great info, thanks! Maybe the $1K extra might be worth it. I like a nice ride personally. I would probably drive it more, although I love driving it now. I just try to avoid the highway with it now.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have said it as "non-military wheels and tires" not just tires for the amount of weight reduced. Just the tires themselves will only be a few pounds difference, but likely to be more round.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent several months replacing tires, at one point i used to have 10 rims and tires and was weird. I could never get a confortable ride, suddenly the truck would start jumping or settle down at any given speed. I decided to go non military and i can tell you it's a big difference. I have put probably 7k-8k miles on the Toyo's and no issues. I opted for the balancing beads instead of the sticky weights and i use the truck almost daily and have taken the truck on 200-300 miles trips here in florida. Best swap i ever did.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks