• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pic of my custom snorkel on my M1009

CDN-CUCV

Just the one pic today and crappy at that but more to come. I welded this together with 3" O.D. muffler tube, a wet exhaust coupler from Trident and a John Deere Prefilter. Mounted with the same threaded rivets to accept a 5/16 bolt. Works great:smile:

Attachments

Last edited:

CDN-CUCV

Here are more pics of my rig with the snorkel. I'm in the process of buying a fabrication business and I'm considering putting together a kit if I get enough interest. I'll keep you posted.;-)

Attachments

CDN-CUCV

how is it connected to the engines air fiter. Thanks Scott
For now, I have 3" I.D wet-exhaust bellows, but the final product will have an airbox with a one-way duckbill for water drainage before entering the filter housing. For the airbox, I'm using a modified M60 ammo can which fits perfectly between the batteries and accepts 3" O.D. pipe as well. This way you have an air-tight box but access inside to clean it periodically. I'll post some pics once it's installed.

86M10086.2L

Did you bend up the pipe yourself? Or did someone do it for you. I was considering a similar setup, but my local muffler shops don't seem too cooperative. The ammo can sounds like a nice alternative. I was looking into HMMWV airboxes and the ARB pre-filter. Nice job though. Looks Good. You may have a decent product if you decide to make them. Oddly enough as you probably know, no one makes a snorkel kit for these trucks. Which I never quite understood. I can buy one for a Land Rover Discovery or an FJ40 which although popular. There really arent that many around. But you can't get one for whats probably the most popular body style truck GM ever made. I'll never figure it out.

Last edited:

kapnklug

Ya, that looks factory! How did you make the big grommet-thingy that goes thru the fender? And how does it attach to the windshield pillar?

AJMBLAZER

Did you bend up the pipe yourself? Or did someone do it for you. I was considering a similar setup, but my local muffler shops don't seem too cooperative. The ammo can sounds like a nice alternative. I was looking into HMMWV airboxes and the ARB pre-filter. Nice job though. Looks Good. You may have a decent product if you decide to make them. Oddly enough as you probably know, no one makes a snorkel kit for these trucks. Which I never quite understood. I can buy one for a Land Rover Discovery or an FJ40 which although popular. There really arent that many around. But you can't get one for whats probably the most popular body style truck GM ever made. I'll never figure it out.
All of the vehicles that have snorkles made for them are popular overseas. You don't find as many of these trucks in Australia as you do FJ40's and Land Rovers. Jeeps and Super Duties got them because both are popular sellers in Oz.

I forget which but you can make one of the FJ Land Cruiser snorkles work on a 73-87 GM. There's been a write up or two about it on Colorado K5 - Full-Size GM 4x4 Restoration and Off Road Community . There even was a guy making a kit but he wanted so fracking much it wasn't doable.

CDN-CUCV

I wont give too much away, however, there are different gaskets available through various aftermarket suppliers. Trucklite may be one of those;-)

The snorkel is fastened to A pillar the exact same way the antenna mounts are, to keep it in theme. I did bend and cut the tube, but bought some pre-bent tube that had tighter radiai (sp?) Now I have a bender to handle up to 4", so I can make all my own now.

With all the interest I've had in this set up, I'm putting a kit together for sale. I will be keeping it competitively priced to promote the sale of it since I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Once a final production prototype is made, I'll post a full product info thread with a price and contact info. I'm making it modular as well so separate parts can be purchased if damage occurs.

I'll keep you up to date! Thanks.

Last edited: