• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pic thread? Looking for m1008's with minimal lift.

Matt65

Finished my lift a couple of weeks back. Got most of the parts from Off Road Designs. No cutting, no trimming, no tire rub.

I can not stress how much better this truck rides. My factory springs and shocks were shot, and the roads around here were very punishing before the lift. The engine RPMs are down to a reasonable level, pulling the engine speed back within its power range. This has made towing at highway speeds (50-55MPH) much easier through the hills.

The Rear:
4" Blocks
Longer UBolts
New Shocks
Extended Stainless Brake line.

The Front:
Tough Country HD 4"lift Springs, worth the $.
Longer UBolts
Skyjacker Drop Pittman Arm, drag link adjusted.
Extended Stainless Brake lines.
New Shocks
Replaced the stabi bushings. (Summit Racing)
Replaced drag link and tie rod boots (Summit Racing)

The wheels are factory GM 16.5 x 6.75" from the late 70s early 80s.
Tires are 37x 12.5" GoodYear Wrangler MT/R Load Range D Military OZ Hummer radials.

Attachments

Last edited:

maxpowercheck

Matt,

I'd like to call you reference backspace adapting some prototype HMMWV rims I have. They are one piece steel. I live
in Huntsville. I have an m1028 I want to lift without too much expense, to mount them on.

Matt65

Matt,

I'd like to call you reference backspace adapting some prototype HMMWV rims I have. They are one piece steel. I live
in Huntsville. I have an m1028 I want to lift without too much expense, to mount them on.
I believe the backspacing on my wheels is about 4".

bshupe

To all the fender cutters in this excellent thread..... What if anything are you doing to finish the cut edge to prevent cutting into the tires or people? What if anything are you doing to prevent rust etc?

In all the photos I have seen it looks like the cut edge is just hanging out there in space. Do you notice a significant amount of flapping or other issues related to the loss of strength along the edge?

Thanks!

AJMBLAZER

You can bend the edge over, tack on a new edge, reinforce it, even seen guys weld rod onto the edge. I just left it in place with no flapping. It's sheet metal, not paper.

I just repainted mine and called it good. Didn't drive it in road salt so it held up fine.

allrevup

How are the HMMWV 37s on the highway? Good/bad manners? Rut chasing etc?
Compare to something in particular???

Compared to premium Nitto, Toyo, (makers of prob the best two "all around" and highest quality tires out there or other tire makers ...Geolanders , BFG, D. Cepek, M/T, Interco M16, ProComp etc. "On anf Off" tread patterns, that I am personably familiar with..
they are bad, horrible in fact DANGEROUS in ice conditions, not much better in the snow and just OK in mud or rocks(the older bias-ply military 36" are better in rocks & mud and have tougher tread and sidewalls.
The one good thing is that they are durable, mileage wise & cheap!

Last edited:

bshupe

Sorry, I was having a hard time understanding what you were trying to say. All I got out of it was cheap. What was the rest of that you were saying? rofl

Abbylind

I drive mine 80 miles (both ways to work home M1008 ) a day on the freeway. They (37" MTRs) ride pretty good. I have run flats inside also. As stated before they arent good on ice, snow they are pretty good. I have a little wobble at high speeds, but I need to get them rebalanced. (Not everyone balances 2 piece rims) YMMV

bshupe

Thanks Abbylind. We dont really get ice around here so much so maybe it wont matter. I do want to avoid making the truck miserable to drive for the sake of cheap tires though.

allrevup

No problem!

Bottom line if you have the cash, buy a good commercially available tire BFG, Pro Comp, Firestone have good affordable lines. You can also buy much BETTER tires, as I mention TOYO , NITTO and Intercos M16 among others.

You may get a good set shopping ebay or your local craigslist !

But the answer about the "37 military Goodyear's I already gave you! (I am NOT personaly familiar with the newer military 37" BFG tire, it looks fine) heck! I still have the Goodyear's 37" on my M1008, but they have limitations

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks