• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up 6 MEP-802A gensets and will be documenting making them all runners here

rustystud

The injector pumps have extremely tight clearances, so I would just dunk them into some Kerosene. Don't put them into any solution that would damage the seals thought.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After about 4 hours in kerosene the injector pumps came out pretty clean. Cyl #1 injector had 4 0.010" shims and Cyl #2 had 6 0.010" hims.

MEP802-9-6-14-01.jpg
http://www.cstone.net/~dk/MEP802-9-6-14-01.jpg

Since the head was off, I figured I might as well go ahead and time the pumps and see if the shims were correct. The procedure is to find TDC on the fire stroke for each cylinder, then turn the crank backwards to a piston drop of just over 0.990", the rotate forward again to get to the 0.990" point. At this point you measure the depth from the top face of crankcase to top of fuel tappet cap. You then subtract the injector pump dimension which has a default value of 2.02".

MEP802-9-6-14-02.jpg
http://www.cstone.net/~dk/MEP802-9-6-14-02.jpg

I ended up with the following:

Cyl #1 = 2.054" - needs 0.034" worth of shims

Cyl #2 = 2.058" - needs 0.038" worth of shims

So the 0.040" and 0.060" shim packs I had, were not quite right, especially not #2. I'll look at the shim packs from the other gen sets. Ideally, I need a green 0.003" shims for each pump and a blue 0.004" for #2 as well, to get within 0.001". My guess is that all the shims are the black 0.010" ones and that was "close enough" for military duty.

I installed the fuel pump rack setting gauge, which holds the rack in the "fuel shut off" position, this way, when installing the injector pumps, you turn then fully couterclockwise until you hit the stop, then tighten the clamps.

MEP802-9-6-14-03.jpg
http://www.cstone.net/~dk/MEP802-9-6-14-03.jpg

Last edited:

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, that's a good idea. I'll also move the dial gauge to #2 when doing that cylinder. I cheated by leaving it on #1 since they go up and down together. Perhaps the crank journals are slightly off relative to each other, so maybe I'll get closer to the 0.060" shim pack that is on there now.

Last edited:

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still working on sourcing the injector pump shims, getting pretty close though.

I got all 3 sets of injectors pulled and found a place that will test and clean them for $13 a pop. Seems reasonable to me. 2 sets are Stanadyne 31539s and one set (from the 2009 gen-set) are Delphi LJBT00301s.

MEP802-9-9-14-01.jpg

I was bidding on a MEP-802A, MEP-803A and a pair of MEP-806Bs that ended yesterday. I was all excited until the last 5 minutes when they all went up like 300% and then the auctions were all extended another 15 minutes at the last second. Of well, I probably got my hands full right now anyways. :D Those B's sure are nice looking though with the built in computer! Intel 486 based I believe.

Last edited:

CDR

Still working on sourcing the injector pump shims, getting pretty close though.

I got all 3 sets of injectors pulled and found a place that will test and clean them for $13 a pop. Seems reasonable to me. 2 sets are Stanadyne 31539s and one set (from the 2009 gen-set) are Delphi LJBT00301s.

View attachment 515174

I was bidding on a MEP-802A, MEP-803A and a pair of MEP-806Bs that ended yesterday. I was all excited until the last 5 minutes when they all went up like 300% and then the auctions were all extended another 15 minutes at the last second. Of well, I probably got my hands full right now anyways. :D Those B's sure are nice looking though with the built in computer! Intel 486 based I believe.
What the heck is a mep-806B I never seen one any pictures?

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It appeared to be pretty complete with about 280 hours on it. Engine was a late 2011 John Deere. But it ended up going for almost $5000 and the 2007 next to it with a busted control panel for $4500. At one point I was the high bidder on the pair for under $2000, but that quickly changed during the last 10 minutes or so of the auction.

MEP806B-0.jpgMEP806B-1.jpgMEP806B-2.jpgMEP806B-3.jpg

CDR

It appeared to be pretty complete with about 280 hours on it. Engine was a late 2011 John Deere. But it ended up going for almost $5000 and the 2007 next to it with a busted control panel for $4500. At one point I was the high bidder on the pair for under $2000, but that quickly changed during the last 10 minutes or so of the auction.

View attachment 515245View attachment 515246View attachment 515247View attachment 515248
WOw Thats bad ass I don't think I'd ever be able spend five grand on it in my right mind but what a cool machine

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I spoke to the machine shop and unfortunately the head from the 2009 needs new guides and seats to get functional again. So same treatment as the 2006 head. Fortunately the valves themselves were salvageable. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the 2007 head will be ok (that's the one that looks like it has never been run on an engine), but it does suffer from the same water damage as the other 2, so how knows...

Located the injector pump shims, but they are coming out of UK, so we're waiting for some other orders to combine shipping. Fortunately the pumps from the other gen-sets do have shims other than 0.010", so I'll make note of what each has, and steal what I need from those for now.

I sure hope that once I get to the electrical side of things, I won't have similar issues!

CDR

Seats maybe because there rusted still I think some
Lapping compound would clean it up. Why guides? Where these low hour machines? I can't see why they would be worth out

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CDR, they all had a fair number of hours on them. The breakdown is as follows:

2006 3544 hours
2007 1355 hours (was reset in 2010)
2009 2844 hours

I know you can't always go by what the Hobbs is showing, but I'm pretty sure they don't have *less* hours than what is shown above. :)

I have a pretty good relationship with the machine shop, so I know they would have tried lapping the seats if they could, and left the guides in place if that made sense, but in order to bring the heads into spec, those parts needs to be replaced. I'm hopeful that 2007 head off the gen-set with 1355 hours will not require this much work.

rustystud

Peter, "In for a penny, in for a pound" . The way your building these units, they will be total rebuilds and will probably out last all of us ! I've said it before and I'll say it again, Great job !!!

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopped by the machine shop and dropped off the 4 new guides and chatted to the machinist about the seats. He said that once the guides get loose, the valve is able to move around in the bore and begins to dig into the seats. In the case of these heads, the seats were worn to the point where lapping them to get them true would take away so much material that the proper valve height/angle would end out being out of spec. Hence the reason for replacing both the guides and seats.

I also dropped off the head from the 2007 unit with 1355 hours on it. Keeping my fingers crossed that the guides/seats are ok on this one.

Rusty, I sure hope these are the last 5kw gen-sets I'll ever need! :D Starting to look around for a manual 400A transfer switch for my house (I got dual 200A panels being feed from a 400A meter base. I think the 5kw will suffice 99% of the time, including running to 4-ton AC unit in the summer, based on the current readings I have taken. Of course in the winter, once 1, 2 or all three 5kw aux heating elements kick in, that will not be the case. So my plan to start looking for the 802A's big brother, the 803A, and then have a 100A transfer switch in front of the 400A one to select which generator to feed it. I know I will still need to disable all but the 1st 5kw aux heating element when running on generator power, but I can manage that.

Last edited:

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up the head for the 2009 unit I'm working in and it looks really good.

MEP802-9-18-14-01.jpg
http://www.cstone.net/~dk/MEP802-9-18-14-01.JPG

MEP802-9-18-14-02.jpg
http://www.cstone.net/~dk/MEP802-9-18-14-02.JPG

The bad news is that I also head back from the place testing the injectors, and 5 of the 6 are shot. 2 are stuck open, 2 are stuck closed and 1 opens at 2500 psi (way low). The 6th one opens at 3200 psi, which is below spec, so that one doesn't have much life left in it either. They are checking to see how much they can get me replacements for, but I suspect I can do better elsewhere. Oh, well, I guess it was worth the $76 to know that they were bad before I tried using them.

Makes me worried that the injector pumps may be end-of-life as well. Guess I'll find out soon enough...

No wonder decent 802's are going for around $3k on GL. When something seems too good to be true, like me picking up 3 802's for $2k, it usually is. That said, I'm quite sure I'll have way less than $3k in each one by the time I'm done with them. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks