• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up 804a and 802a today and looking for advise.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up two units in Capac, MI. The 804a is a runner the 802a was sold as not running. After getting the 802a home and taking a closer look, its missing the fuel stop solenoid and I'm trying to figure out what else is missing in the picture. At $627 out the door with fees, is it worth it to try and put the missing pieces back together and see what happens?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say it would be well worth fixing up the 802a as long as there's not internal damage. Does the crank rotate?

If it were mine, I'd inspect it closely externally, list the missing parts, then buy a complete gasket set and then go internal.

You could also part it out and more than recoup your costs.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In addtition to the solenoid it's also missing:
Radiator hoses
Primary fuel pump and possible some fuel line
Fuel return line
Fuel filter

All easy fixes

Open the gauge panel and take a pic in there
Thank you I'll get picture today of panel. I already ordered the hoses from Light in the dark. All the filters are sitting here. I was looking at green mountain parts and the solenoid was over 200!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And there is a mounting plate missing for the FSS. I have one. Also you will need the hardware set that goes with the FSS as well. Onan asks $110 just for the armature that comes out of the FSS. I have used sets available (and the mounting plate too).

Untitled.png

Edit: Your mounting bracket is there, I just missed it (behind the OD strip, with the chain).

Ray70

Like Farmitall said, do a complete inspection of the engine before you buy anything. Often times there's a good reason why so many parts have been "Borrowed" from it. Either way, anything can be fixed but a seized engine can throw a curve into your plans.
Then just do the bare minimum to get it to start.
No need for the hoses or throttle solenoid at first, just get the fuel system fixed up and the oil system put back together.
disconnect the VR for now and crank it from the dead crank, if no banging noises come from inside, fire it up and see where you're at.
If it runs, then continue on with the repairs.
The beauty of a diesel is that all you really need is a starter and a fuel supply to make it run....

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Farmitall said, do a complete inspection of the engine before you buy anything. Often times there's a good reason why so many parts have been "Borrowed" from it. Either way, anything can be fixed but a seized engine can throw a curve into your plans.
Then just do the bare minimum to get it to start.
No need for the hoses or throttle solenoid at first, just get the fuel system fixed up and the oil system put back together.
disconnect the VR for now and crank it from the dead crank, if no banging noises come from inside, fire it up and see where you're at.
If it runs, then continue on with the repairs.
The beauty of a diesel is that all you really need is a starter and a fuel supply to make it run....
She turns over. With the starter and by hand. So no frozen engine, thankfully.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
I also buy these units from auction, sight unseen. It’s a gamble, a crap shoot…however you want to say it. Most of the units that I bid on are a few hundred miles away. When and if I win them I’ll go and haul them home with my flatbed trailer, or if they’re trailer mounted I just tow them home. I’ve only really been burned once when I picked up a 803A that was missing the rain cap. It’s always fun to bring these units home, get some coffee and go up to the shop and spend some time on them. I rarely have to spend much time to bring them back on-line. I also had another 803A unit earlier this year that needed some internal engine work. The design on the Lister/Petter engines with the trap door on the side of the block allows you to remove pistons/rods etc without pulling the engine. As Kurt mentioned, inside of the control panel is a series of relays and one “frequency trip switch” that looks similar to the other relays, but is different. Check to see if there’s anything missing and/or in the wrong place. I’ve had a couple of units that were missing one or more of them. Also, one other unit that had the frequency trip switch in the wrong place. I let the smoke out of it when I brought 24vdc up to the panel😣 The help and guidance from this forum is excellent. Good luck with you!

Attachments

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also buy these units from auction, sight unseen. It’s a gamble, a crap shoot…however you want to say it. Most of the units that I bid on are a few hundred miles away. When and if I win them I’ll go and haul them home with my flatbed trailer, or if they’re trailer mounted I just tow them home. I’ve only really been burned once when I picked up a 803A that was missing the rain cap. It’s always fun to bring these units home, get some coffee and go up to the shop and spend some time on them. I rarely have to spend much time to bring them back on-line. I also had another 803A unit earlier this year that needed some internal engine work. The design on the Lister/Petter engines with the trap door on the side of the block allows you to remove pistons/rods etc without pulling the engine. As Kurt mentioned, inside of the control panel is a series of relays and one “frequency trip switch” that looks similar to the other relays, but is different. Check to see if there’s anything missing and/or in the wrong place. I’ve had a couple of units that were missing one or more of them. Also, one other unit that had the frequency trip switch in the wrong place. I let the smoke out of it when I brought 24vdc up to the panel The help and guidance from this forum is excellent. Good luck with you!
Thank you! And I thought I was dragging mine home too low. . I plan on buying a few more of these but no trailers, much easier to bring my own. I will tell you that it pulled like a dream 290 miles!

loosegravel

I always tip the guys in the yards who load me up. I’ve been able to get to know a few of them along the way. These are the same guys that take the photos, and check them out. They all tell me that they don’t spend a lot of time to get them running. They’ll fill the crankcase with oil, they’ll plumb some fuel to them and they’ll jump them with 24vdv to crank them up. If they don’t fire off, they list them as “not running.” If they’re missing any components like your (802A was) then they won’t spend any time on them, list them as “not running.”

loosegravel

I always tip the guys in the yards who load me up. I’ve been able to get to know a few of them along the way. These are the same guys that take the photos, and check them out. They all tell me that they don’t spend a lot of time to get them running. They’ll fill the crankcase with oil, they’ll plumb some fuel to them and they’ll jump them with 24vdv to crank them up. If they don’t fire off, they list them as “not running.” If they’re missing any components like your (802A was) then they won’t spend any time on them, list them as “not running.”
And, of course they don’t load test them. You may see a short video with a drill motor or something like that plugged into the convenience receptacle .

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And, of course they don’t load test them. You may see a short video with a drill motor or something like that plugged into the convenience receptacle .
I know the guys from Wisconsin and Michigan. Always nice! Helped me fill up air on tires, even offered to lend me a hitch when mine was too low. Never had an issue with govplanet except for the sf97's. But that's a whole different story. He did tell me they just have a shop light they plug in to test for power at recepticals.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just a pure speculation swag but Ukraine is in need of gen sets and I suspect working units will be diverted instead of surplused to dla. Ymmv
I dunno...

I can't quite see our military or government in general spending the thought it would take to send a used machine to Ukraine. They would rather spend the money for a new (insert NSN here) rather than test and confirm a running model. Different bucket of money...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks