• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a knuckle boom!!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see a problem there. The one I have with no-hole/no groove is 39.5mm total lenght, vs the other ones at 38.6-38.9mm. Dogs on all are about 7/16" tall.

Now, while testing/ comparing them all with a file I found that just the one type that you have is relatively harder, so you may need to anneal it first before ruining or even breaking a tap at first attempt...

G.

Hooty481

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
So here is where I am so far. Since my pto clutch/collar was the bolt on type instead of the set screw type I drilled and tapped a hole for a 1/4-20 set screw in the collar since i could not tap the shaft since it was hardened. I still have to hook the oil line up to the pto which brings to my first question. Do I add oil to the pto through the plug in the top or do I just let the transfer case pump it up there?

I am also going to make a new shift lever for the pto because the old one was wore and bent some what.

I will have to move one the the tanks like m16ty. The way he did it looks very simple I just have to find another set of tank brackets.

On the trucks that came with these pto's, were the tanks mounted in a different spot from the factory or did they run something besides a drive shaft. I am hoping that I can split the tanks and the. Put the pump right behind the pto. I will have to make a bracket for my pump and then only run a love joy instead of running a drive shaft. Seems like the best way.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will have to move one the the tanks like m16ty. The way he did it looks very simple I just have to find another set of tank brackets.

On the trucks that came with these pto's, were the tanks mounted in a different spot from the factory or did they run something besides a drive shaft.
What you do is cut one of the saddles off the existing bracket, get another set of brackets and cut one of the saddles off it also. Then invert the new brackets and mount the tank in the new location with the bracket on top of the tank. You are also going to have to extend a couple of lines, I used plastic DOT brake tubing. Unless somebody knows what they are looking at, the setup looks factory when you're done.

I've pulled t-case PTOs off two tanker trucks and the tanks were mounted just like the M35 trucks. On these trucks the driveshaft pretty much runs straight to the back of the truck with little to no angle so the stock setup on the tanker trucks does clear the tanks.

I've probably got a spare set of tank brackets lying around somewhere if I can find them.

Hooty481

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgI might be interested I those tank brackets. Let me know a price.

i took some pictures with the pump right behind the output of the pto and as short at the pump it it just barely squeezes between the pto and the air tank. I also took some pictures with a drive shaft held in place and it looks like the angle would be to much and that it would work at all with the tanks in the stock location.

Do I need to prime the pto with gear oil will it prime it's self with the oil in the transfer case.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, that angle in the pic is too sharp.

I didn't prime mine but it couldn't hurt.

On the straps, I'll have to dig through my pile of parts and find them. You're welcome to them for the price of shipping if I can dig them out.

Hooty481

I can't really beat a deal on those tank brackets. Zip code is 42642. Let me know a price and ill get you the money through PayPal.

I am thinking about hooking the pump direct with a love joy. Seems like the best way.

Hooty481

Been thinking about the air tanks and how to get them out of the way. I wonder if the side of the brackets without the tanks on them could be unbolted and bent down to get enough room for the pump or a drive shaft. Anybody had any luck with this cuss/discuss.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, I forgot about looking for them brackets. Let me know of you still need them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks