• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a M328 Bridging Truck. It's BIG!!

donkdonk

What in gods name have I gotten myself into? I didn't realize what this was when I bought it. Have not seen it since I bought it a few months ago. I have a good sized wrecker and this beast lifted my front end... I couldn't steer!!

Couple questions:

1. What in the **** would someone do with this? All I could find is that it is too wide for the street... so what gives?

2. How much does it weigh? I can't find the info anywhere? I pulled an M54 like it wasn't even there... this thing feels TWICE as heavy.

3. What is something like this worth? Are they rare/desirable? It is nice and clean.. and the winch is just ridiculous....

Here is the M139/M328:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

M1075

Re: Picked up a M328 Bridging Truck. It's *%#&#* BIG!!

donkdonk said:
1. What in the heck would someone do with this? All I could find is that it is too wide for the street... so what gives?

2. How much does it weigh? I can't find the info anywhere? I pulled an M54 like it wasn't even there... this thing feels TWICE as heavy.

3. What is something like this worth? Are they rare/desirable? It is nice and clean.. and the winch is just ridiculous....
:
Congratulations on the new acquisition. Bridge trucks are awesome! To help with your questions:

1. With the bridge bed/frame removed, makes an excellent cab/chassis for any number of uses. In stock form, they are overwidth, but you could modify yours easily to comply.

2. Stock weight is about 27,000# IIRC. As cab/chassis I would guess about 21,000#.

3. The value on these can be tricky. In stock form, not many people find a use for them, but they sure are cool looking. As a cab/chassis, the value to collectors is nill, but resale value in the market might be decent. The winch is just a regular 5 ton winch.

donkdonk

Re: Picked up a M328 Bridging Truck. It's *%#&#* BIG!!

M1075 said:
Congratulations on the new acquisition. Bridge trucks are awesome! To help with your questions:

1. With the bridge bed/frame removed, makes an excellent cab/chassis for any number of uses. In stock form, they are overwidth, but you could modify yours easily to comply.

2. Stock weight is about 27,000# IIRC. As cab/chassis I would guess about 21,000#.

3. The value on these can be tricky. In stock form, not many people find a use for them, but they sure are cool looking. As a cab/chassis, the value to collectors is nill, but resale value in the market might be decent. The winch is just a regular 5 ton winch.
I thought it looked bigger than a 5 ton winch, shows what I know. Is there a brief description of what is involved in making it street legal?

Thanks for the fast reply!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: Picked up a M328 Bridging Truck. It

The complete M328 tips the scales at about the same weight as a five-ton wrecker. Some of this "extra" weight is in the really large tires, but a lot of it is in the bed (which you are missing) which is VERY substantial.

An educated guess - with emphasis on the guess - would be that the easiest way to make this legal width would be to flip the rear hubs and single out the rear tires, and do away with the spacers. The original five tons, the M41, used the same size tires as the M328, only in a single rear wheel configuration, whicih what I describe above would approximate.

Regards,
David

OSO

RE: Re: Picked up a M328 Bridging Truck. It

Now I know what mine would look like without the bed. :!: THAT is real clean looking ! [thumbzup] Have you driven it yet? :jumpin: THAT IS ONE BIG TRUCK !!! fat lady sings

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neat truck. I love them. Glad to see someone address it as it is, an M328 although the M139 designator might be applicable since the bed is gone.

YankeeDuece

Re: RE: Re: Picked up a M328 Bridging Truck. It

the easiest way to make this legal width would be to flip the rear hubs and single out the rear tires, and do away with the spacers.
Regards,
David[/quote]

The front is not overwidth, so if you plan to use the stock 14.00x20 tires you must leave the hub spacers on so that the tires will clear the frame.

m139h2otruck

Somewhere on here there are photos of our truck with the rear axles singled, using the stock wheels and tires. Just left the front stock. I just don't know how to cut and paste.

m139h2otruck

Also, the weight of our truck was 22,000# on a certified scale with about a full tank of fuel and no driver. Tank is aluminum, only 6 tires now, and rear fenders are plastic.

donkdonk

m139h2otruck said:
Also, the weight of our truck was 22,000# on a certified scale with about a full tank of fuel and no driver. Tank is aluminum, only 6 tires now, and rear fenders are plastic.
What kind of speed are you cruising at on the highway? Dare I ask what kind of mileage? I am trying to find an excuse to keep this beast!