• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a M37, getting redy to paint!

donkdonk

Hey guys, new here, been lurking. I picked up a M37 (along with 14 other various military trucks that I don't need!) and we have a MASSIVE ice storm here, so I decided to start working on it. I am currently trying to figure out what the best way to get it ready for paint. I started using a DA on the bed and it is working out pretty good, thought I would get it smooth and then prime it. I got some Gillespie paint from Rapco and trying to decide if I want to use the 23070 semi-gloss OD or the 319 lusterless OD. I am leaning towards the 319 because I like the flatness of it. What do you guys think? Here are some pics:

Attachments

CGarbee

Nice truck.
Continue to lightly sand (by hand is better than a DA) the hood sides, the underside of the hood, the tops of the fenders, around the fuel filler, the dash, the rear bumperettes (should have duplicates of the front bumper markings), and the tailgate to check for other markings. I can't make out what you have in the photos well enough to make out what you have except for a bit on the bumper that looks like an "arty"...

For an Korean era Army truck, you'd want the 23070 (heck, do a search on this site for some of David Doyle's wonderful posts on the color shift in the specification green between 24087 FS595A and FS595B that make the Gillepie 23070 closer to the original color). The Gillespie is a bit flatter to me that other paints using the same chemistry, so the 23070 may not be as glossy as you think (unless you've done some patch panels with the spray cans as they are a very good match to the material in the gallon cans...).

I personally am fond of M37's (and others) in 34052, Lusterless Forest Green (USMC Green). :)

It'll look good whichever green you use.

BTW: Found a collection of pages that allows you to browse through colors in the exact order they have been grouped and presented in the Federal Standard 595B Fan Deck. The page captions (given in parenthesis) are arbitrary and have been added for clarity and variences in computer monitors need to be accounted for, but it an interesting view of colors...
http://www.colorserver.net/fandeck/

Good luck.

maxim

My M-37 was painted yellow with a unidentified paint that was so hard I gave up on trying to remove it. I used a little hand held buzzer sander to level it and scuff it up. Then filled the heavy scratches and stone chips. I used Rust-Oleum 7769 Very Rusty primer and for me it worked well as it is a bit heavier and gave alot of ablity to level and cover a multitude of sins when sanded back. I used Gillespie 23070 with a HVLP and recomended acetone. One the rusted spots I used a wire brush on a high speed grinder. Be carefull using them things though and wear heavy clothes and face mask and respirator and gloves, and eye protection with ear protection, they have a tendancy to throw wire off themeselves as they wear out. I was satisfide with Gillespie as it was forgiving to runs and sags, and seemed to cover good.

Attachments

nattieleather

On that access door it looks like your tire pressure. Most likely T.P. 45 or close to that.

The only thing I can make out on your bumper markings is a Triangle followed by the word Arty. Triangles usually mean Armor. So it might have belonged to a artiliery battery that was part of an Armored brigade division etc. More careful sanding is needed.

Oh and your truck looks good and will look better in OD, but that top has to go.... :)

donkdonk

Re: RE: Picked up a M37, getting redy to paint!

Thanks for the welcome guys!! We have had a TERRIBLE ice storm here in OK, they are saying the worst ever! 500k homes were without power on Saturday and there are still like 300k WITH NO POWER. Crazy storm.

Stan said:
Welcome aboard, so what are the fourteen other trucks? I like the 34072 that Garbee referred to.
I listed them in the classifieds, check them out.

donkdonk

sermis said:
I used 24052 on my truck. The shine goes away a little with time.

Here is the link on my painting project.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....0&postorder=asc&highlight=getting+ready+paint
Man that truck looks good Sermis. I will be starting on my Deuce as soon as I finish this one up. I have been wanting to get a sand blaster, but there are so many to choose from it gets confusing. I know NOTHING about them... but I do have a decent 5hp air compressor so I think I am ready to buy one.

sermis

I like my 350# pot but a 5hp will not even come close to running it. The smaller blasters wil work but will take a long time.

sermis

My pot requires a large compressor. The one I have been using I think is 175psi at 100cfm maybe, trailer compressor with 4 cylinder diesel motor. I have a small Harbor Freight maybe 30 - 50# that a 5hp would run. The small one is good for small parts, wheels, etc but would take for ever to do the truck.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking project - complete and very restoration. I see there isn't much heavy rust either. First step, though, is to take that silly winter top off! :)

I'd go with the USMC Green as well, I believe it's 34052. Most M37s were in 24087, like all other MVs from the 1950s and 1960s, but EVERYONE has their trucks 24087. Not very original. Dare to be different, and go with the USMC green!

MarineTracs

Very nice looking truck. I may be in the minority, but I really like the look of an M37 without a top on either cab or cargo bed. Naturally, I like to have the ability to put up my canvas in inclement weather, but it is so much more fun to drive when 'open'.
I know I am prejudiced, but USMC Forest Green with yellow stenciling looks outstanding. Of course to make it look even better, you need rear USMC lifting/tie down brackets and front bumber 'paperclips'. But, once acquired and installed, you will have a truck that looked decidedly different from all of the normal army vehicles you see.
Again, it is a nice looking truck. Congratulations and good luck with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks