• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a M501 Hawk Carrier

Another Ahab

It's running; so great!

Betting it's a lot of work, but could you make the track pads out of old tire rubber; are they riveted on or something?
Talk to the german HAWK group. I think they had the pads recast someplace.

The track pads are cast.
Guyfang, do you mean that the rubber is cast INTO a pocket of some kind on the track, so there's an integral mechanical connection of some kind?

What I mean is: so they're not designed as just a separate piece that you fasten onto the track?

I might not be making myself clear here, and please let me know if that's so (the error is mine).

Guyfang

Staff member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k53oDgNJGw

Would make a great offroad "brush" fire truck.
You are looking at one of the most deadly missiles in the world. If you are flying in a aircraft that has been painted, acquired and locked on by IMPROVED HAWK, PIP III, you are dead meat. Your only decision is to punch out before, or after you have been tagged. I believe it has 98.95% chance of a bringing a target down if the bird leaves the launcher. When we had NATO meetings to discuss the Forward Line of Battle, the pilots would never pay attention. But when the positing of the HAWK units came up, EVERY pilot in the room took notes. IFF doesn't always work, and no fly zones, ment no fly. The Duck Hunters have a saying. "If it flys, it dies".

Guyfang

Staff member
Guyfang, do you mean that the rubber is cast INTO a pocket of some kind on the track, so there's an integral mechanical connection of some kind?

What I mean is: so they're not designed as just a separate piece that you fasten onto the track?

I might not be making myself clear here, and please let me know if that's so (the error is mine).
Yes, the rubber is cast into a "pocket" on the track piece. Having changed hundreds of track pads on the HAWK Self Propelled Launcher, I can truly say it's not removable.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guyfang

Staff member
Man oh man! Has Oro Grande grown!!!!!! I haven't been there since 1985. I just asked someone in our HAWK group if they might be willing to mosey on over and take a look. If he can get his dead butt out of his chair, he just might be able to go on over to Oro Grande and find this place. Back in the day, we would sneak out of the sand box there, and slip on over to Oro Grande, for a beer. Sometime a buddy's wife would leave a car there for us, and we would hide our military truck behind the bar. Go home, take a shower and change clothes before going on back to our field location. If you look at the picture gallery, the building labeled Tavern, hasn't changed a bit. Several miles out of "town" is an old tree. Standing all by itself. Nothing but tumbleweeds for as far as you can see. Some wag, nailed up a sign on the tree that read, Oro Grande National Forest. The below listed address will take you to a picture of it.
http://www.davidpride.com/USA/NewMexico/NM_01.htm

If you ever have a burning desire to be alone, go to Oro Grande.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Hitchhiked through Salina during the summer of 1972. Was riding in the back of a stake bed tractor and trailer on a load of steel. Hot does not begin to describe how it was. Lots of water has gone under the bridge since then.

Another Ahab

Hitchhiked through Salina during the summer of 1972. Was riding in the back of a stake bed tractor and trailer on a load of steel. Hot does not begin to describe how it was. Lots of water has gone under the bridge since then.
I was maybe two years behind you, Guyfang; I think it was summer of 1974 and I was thumbing my way cross-country from DC to Boulder.

I broke the cardinal rule of hitchhiking and left the interstate, got stranded at a cross roads in a Salina wheat field.
As I remember it, Salina was nothing BUT wheat field, as far as your eye could see. :3dAngus:

From one Brother of the Highways to another, Cheers!

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Another Ahab, I salute you also sir! Shortly I will eat dinner and will open some of the finest beer in the world, and will raise the bottle to you.

I was headed anyplace someone was going. No plan, no goal, no nothing. Just go. After I had done about 12 thousand miles, I heard on the radio that Rapid City SD had had a flood. I have relatives in Hill City, so I called. No answer, so off I went to Hill City. My family had the same idea, we met up at my Uncles house. As Hill City is about 50 miles away, there was no problem. But I got a free ride home with my Dad. Two months later I enlisted in the Army. I still thumb a bit here. I still get a kick out of meeting people and going places I have never been before. Spent a few weekend in Alexandria also. I went to Ft Belvoir for AIT. The only thing worth seeing in DC is the Smithsonian. Take care partner!

Guy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks