• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a sand blaster

surpdlr

I have been doing some reading, soda will work in this blaster. The guy said it would work better with an external aggitator, but it wasn't needed. I hope to be using this on my wrecker so I'll just stick with sand. After looking on-line, WOW these are expensive.
Soda blast at your own risk!!! Read the thread from below

G503.com Message Forums • View topic - WTK: Soda blasting vs abrasive blasting

Specificaly this:

SPI Users Forum :: View topic - Soda Blasting.

And think about it, why would you want to force salt (Sodium bicarbinate) into the pores of the metal any way???

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So I did some searching, looks like the pot is a 2452 and it has MOST of the tlr300 remote control system. That is a trigger system to turn the supply on and off from the end of the blast hose. After I find a couple of pieces, that should work. Looks like there is a screen that sits on top of the unit so when you pour the media in it screens out the big parts that would clog up the flow. I'll have to find one of those too.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few pictures of mine. The tank is a little different, but they seem to be about the same size. I haven't installed the air/water separator yet because my compressor does a pretty good job of keeping the moisture out. But after I get the shop build and get an engine on the monster compressor I will hook up the water separator. Until then I can't see myself doing too much blasting. I did use it on my mower deck this spring before I painted it with 395a. It works great, but the compressor I have now isn't quite big enough. The new one will more than handle that little blaster, but I need an engine.

Attachments

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one I have and am using now is a single cylinder, single stage probably 12 to 15 CFM at 90 PSI with a 30 gallon tank.

The monster sitting waiting on an engine is a 2 cylinder 2 stage beast at almost 50 CFM at 175 PSI with a 120 gallon tank. It had a 10 HP 3 phase motor on it when I picked it up from GL, but I want to get about a 12 to 15 horse gas engine, something like a tiller or hydrostatic mower engine. I'm looking on craigslist all the time, but I'm not shopping too hard..if you catch my drift...need $$$$

Edit; The small compressor is a 2 cylinder, and the monster is a 4 cylinder

Last edited:

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't find any information about the manufacturer of the compressor head other than they make a lot of high pressure compressors, 3000 PSI. But I did find a parts breakdown from another manufacturer "Saylor Beall". The head is not identical, but it's as close as I can find to what I have.

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The one pictured by gimp is now at my house. It takes up the entire bed of a pickup truck. I'll get some pics up later. Yours is similar, but is smaller. I'd think they both should work the same. When we tested it yesterday, I'd say a mower deck should take about 4 mins! It's really quick.

Dennis

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
not my mower deck...lol It's a 6 foot 3 point trail mower. It took my about an hour to do the deck when I did it. But that was a lot of waiting for the compressor to build back up. I didn't want to overheat the compressor, so I would blast until the compressor came on and continue for a minute or two, then take a few minutes break until the tank built up pressure again and the compressor shut off, probably 5 to 10 minutes each time. Plus, the cheap media I got from Tractor Supply, had some bigger particles in it that clogged the 5/32 nozzle I was using, so I would have to stop and close off the valves and remove the clog, re-assemble the deadman valve and open everything back up. That all takes time. If I had a good compressor running it and no clogs, I probably could have had it done in about 10 minutes tops.

There is no doubt that the blaster is a very handy thing to have around. The one that Gimpy got for you guys is a beauty (not cosmetically). I just couldn't pass the one I got by. I got it from work for nothing, they were going to through it in the scrap and melt it down.

gimpyrobb

HEHE! 5/32 nozzle, we used half inch pipe for a nozzle on ours. Yeah, it would probably take 10 min. to blast your mower deck. Your deal is close to my deal, very little cost involved is a GOOD thing!

That bigger comp. is probably about 30 cfm. When it comes to volume a single stage with multiple pistons is all thats needed. The 2 stage with one larger and one smaller piston is what creates the higher psi numbers. It is kind of important to know the min. HP numbers needed to run a compressor head. I'd look for one of the surplus "standard" military motors to put on it, probably the 4cyl one. 4a032 model I think.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Free is always good. And waiting for air sucks. We stuck a 1/2 pipe nipple on it for testing, and it blasted with it fine. Compressor was running full bore, 80-90 psi. The blaster has a remote system on it, you put air to a valve to close the vent valve, and open the supply valve. Would like to switch to electric compressor at some point, but would need 100hp to match what we have.

Dennis

Attachments

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp, that bigger head that I posted a picture of, is rated at I think 45 CFM at 175 PSI, of course more at a lower pressure because it doesn't have to work as hard (that's from the manufacturers website). The one on my compressor is just like it only a different manufacturer. It does not have one large and one small cylinder like you're used to seeing on most 2 stage compressor heads. This thing is definitely made to handle a large volume of air.

Looking at the measurements that stretch posted, my blaster is a little smaller than the one you guys have. We use this same model at work with 1/2 inch pipe for the nozzle, just take a vice and squeeze the nipple until it starts to flatten out some and you'll get a better "spray" with it. Of course, with "plant" air it is hard to tell how much CFM it uses with a 1/2 inch pipe. The regular ceramic nozzles and dead man valve help to limit the needed CFM. Even with the beast of a compressor and blaster like you guys have that's really what you should be using. I've used blasters both ways, with the 1/2" pipe and the correct nozzles...it deosn't slow you down too much, if at all, you get finer control with the smaller nozzles too.

Edit;
gimpyrobb said:
That bigger comp. is probably about 30 cfm. When it comes to volume a single stage with multiple pistons is all thats needed. The 2 stage with one larger and one smaller piston is what creates the higher psi numbers. It is kind of important to know the min. HP numbers needed to run a compressor head. I'd look for one of the surplus "standard" military motors to put on it, probably the 4cyl one. 4a032 model I think.
The compressor in my lube trailer is rated at 27 CFM, and it's the style you're thinking of with one large and one small cylinder...the one on my large compressor is waaayyyy bigger than the lube trailer one.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was that a Ford Fairmont in the background? Nice blasting outfit. You guys are just going to have to move closer together.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, one more postscript to this thread, I noticed you had the compressor in the shed, well after painting mine, I thought it was a good idea to keep it in the shed, too. Just run the hose outside and blast whenever . . . Well I didn't think that one through. My rig has the Bullard 88 hood, that uses filtered air from the compressor. I had been blasting for about an hour, when I started to get sleepy. Well blasting is a bit of a boring activity so I just shook it off. Well I started to get even more sleepy, so I had to stop for a break. All of a sudden I could not stand up anymore. All I could do was lie down on the ground. Little by little, I started to feel better. Well the more safety conscious among us will already know, "you idiot you poisoned yourself with carbon monoxide". Yup but with the Almighty looking out for me as usual, I lived to tell about it this day . . .

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was doing some research on my blaster. I have an older model ALC blaster, made right here in the good old USA. It's a 250# blaster, meaning it holds 250 pounds of media for those who didn't already know. Using the measurements in Stretches pictures, the one you guys have is probably a 350# or 400# blaster. I also found some "average" nozzle size/flow rates for ya.

1/8" nozzle uses 24 CFM at 90 PSI and 26 CFM at 100 PSI
5/32" nozzle uses 43 CFM at 90 PSI and 47 CFM at 100 PSI
3/16" nozzle uses 53 CFM at 90 PSI and 58 CFM at 100 PSI

Your 1/2" pipe would use about 376 CFM at 90 PSI and 412 CFM at 100 PSI, so it's no wonder your compressor was running full out.

gimpyrobb

The comp. is stored in the basement of thr big barn. It isn't used inside. We had thought about plumbing the intake and exhaust through the wall so it could heat the shop, but doubt it'll happen.

Yes Kenny, he has 2 or 3 of them(ferds).

Yes we are going to get a correct nozzle, just used the pipe to see how it worked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks