• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up an M1165 - Want to Restore it

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nah an H1 is boring :LOL:

I want a restored military truck, with some creature comforts and added refinements. I’m not looking to put in an Alpha dash with an iPad on 20s on a Power Wagon, but I do want to go a little and beyond what is just military. I personally think the M1156A1 is the best looking/shape as well.

Back to the doors, can anyone point me to where I can even find a set of OEM H1 doors? Or OEM Supplemental Armor X doors? I get prices are up there, but where are people buying these? I don’t want aftermarket
Fleabay

SmartDrug

They’re definitely not common, they didn’t make very many Alphas and it will take a considerable amount of damage to total out a $200k+ truck like that.

I’ve only seen H1 doors pop up a few times- for $10-15k, never a set of Alphas.

I think it’s a cool idea, but it’s the same idea dozens of other owners have had over the years. There’s also a reason so many people stay with softs, or land on Cobrateks, Western Kentuckys, and repaired X-Doors.

EricSoWavy

It looks like the Cobratek aluminum doors are quite similar to the Aluminum ones Western Kentucky sells. I just am not a fan of the vertical sliding windows on those.

How do the Western Kentucky fiberglass doors compare to OEM X fiberglass doors?

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Airport comment hits home here. I've worked in a 24hour operation maintenance hangar for right at 15 years, and the amount of complaints we've had over the years from the people that have moved into the sub division next door is remarkable. One guy actually came and knocked on the front door in pjs @ midnight telling us "what right do we have in operating and making so much noise at night and demanding we shut down from sunset to sunrise"......some people will never be understood. as in buddy this airport has been here since the 30's, this is not a new pop up airport, what did you expect. ok rant over and back to our topic at hand.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The Airport comment hits home here. I've worked in a 24hour operation maintenance hangar for right at 15 years, and the amount of complaints we've had over the years from the people that have moved into the sub division next door is remarkable. One guy actually came and knocked on the front door in pjs @ midnight telling us "what right do we have in operating and making so much noise at night and demanding we shut down from sunset to sunrise"......some people will never be understood. as in buddy this airport has been here since the 30's, this is not a new pop up airport, what did you expect. ok rant over and back to our topic at hand.
Yes!

Like the drag strip we had out on Highway 16. Never was a problem until the idiot that ran it decided to peddle drugs. He had a choice. Go hang out in the jail, or shut down the race track.

Our airport was a little one stripper back when I was born. Now we have 3 (Left, Center and Right and a Diagonal. The Airport Authority keeps buying more dirt around it.

My opinion is like yours. If you don't like it, don't buy a house under the runway approach or departure. And don't build a house beside the airport.

1693597734640.png

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read this thread and was amazed to find a military truck that wasn't water tight. Who knew.

(Yes, that is sarcasm if I was too subtle.)

I can't wait to see the finished truck. I won't say I liked painting an MV but it wasn't that bad.

Atchuuu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep posting your progress and don’t forget photos.
I am nearly done with my restoration and have to say that money aside, it has been well worth doing. The project was never and “investment “ but an experience. And having a civilian H1 is nice but it’s not a HMWWV and that’s what I wanted.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

BLK HMMWV

I will need allot more than a simple computer drawing before laying down my hard earned money.
Also who would put down a $2000 deposit without knowing what the final cost would be??
I believe it said an additional $1,000 would be due for a total of $3,000
Plus shipping

Eddy1947

I will need allot more than a simple computer drawing before laying down my hard earned money.
Also who would put down a $2000 deposit without knowing what the final cost would be??
Agree. But aluminum, finished inside, rollup windows, and good price --worth a phone call to check further.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buying a HMMWV and expecting to convert it to an H1 is like buying a house next to an Airport and expecting not to hear Airplanes taking off and landing…it’s a lesson in futility at the very least and second, it’s an assault on your wallet.
I just drove and Eric/Hummer H1’s pick up. He has converted to 12 V. He has converted the dashboard to all electric gauges. He has soundproofed it. He has custom-made an aluminum roof.

Yesterday we went for a drive. We had a conversation in low voices. He is not finished soundproofing, however his use of killmat has made driving in that vehicle amazing.

He has soundproofed his vehicle for less than $300 and changed all the gauges for less than $200. He even added electric heaters to the seats and made/welded up a robust custom super sturdy brushguard for $70.

He is not trying to make an H1. He has however made a very comfortable vehicle out of something that was originally military.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks