• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my CUCV last night

FLINT

Well, a friend rode with me to pick up my CUCV last night and I have to said I couldn't be more happy. The truck is in great shape and runs perfectly. The seller, was awesome and knows these trucks inside and out and was very helpful and informative. I drove it 4.5 hours home last night with no problems, and intentionally kept the speed below 55 the whole time. Somehow there is still over half a tank of fuel left???!!

I'll post some pictures soon, but wanted to ask a couple of quick questions

1. Can someone show me a picture of how the gun mount behind the seat works? Seems like a very handy place for my hunting rifle this fall - although I tried to put my marlin 30-30 in it and it doesnt seem to fit - was it only made for a specific rifle?

2. I'm really happy the truck is a 1028, but the only thing that I'm bummed about is that it doesn't have the cool eyebolt tie downs in the bed like the 1008 I looked at had. Is there a way that I can obtain and mount those eyebolts in the bed? Can someone post me a very clear picture of the inside of their bed with all the tie downs?

Thanks for any help. and also, I think I'm going to remove the wooden sides with the troop seats and then build some wooden sides that mount into the pockets in the sides - so I'll probably sell those troop seats, if anyone is interested in them.

ok, thanks!!!

mistaken1

1. Can someone show me a picture of how the gun mount behind the seat works? Seems like a very handy place for my hunting rifle this fall - although i tried to put my marlin 30-30 in it and it doesnt seem to fit - was it only made for a specific rifle?

Ok, thanks!!!
m16

FLINT

Took me a while but I've added some pictures of the 1028.

The truck is great. I got 16mpg on the first tank of gas (mostly highway). The only thing I have replaced so far is the e-brake cable, and I was able to get it inspected. I do have questions about the front locking hubs and adding receiver hitches but I'll ask those in a separate thread at some point. I've already hauled a full load of green oak and the rear barely sagged down at all and drove great down the road (I kept forgetting there was wood in the back).

I figured out the rifle holder - why didn't you just tell me that the top part of it had a spring in it, so you have to pull it out and then turn it to hold your rifle in. My rifle fits just fine in there now. I put some mole skin over it so it didn't scratch my rifle barrel.

Also, can someone post a picture of the inside of the bed of a 1008? I want to place some eye-bolt tie downs (I think the TM calls them cargo anchors) in the bed and would like to get them in the correct location.

Attachments

48cj2a

can someone post a picture of the inside of the bed of a 1008? I want to place some eye-bolt tie downs (I think the TM calls them cargo anchors) in the bed and would like to get them in the correct location.
See firgure 153 of TM 9-2320-289-20P should be one in each corner and either side of the wheel wells.

OLDCHEV4X4

It looks like it has forklift dents on the pass side. Check the transfer case adapter for cracks and or damage. And the driveshaft for dents.
Looks like a good rust free truck.:)

FLINT

Thanks!

It turned over to 67,000 miles while I was driving it home.

Hmm, I've looked at the driveshaft and I don't believe it has any dents or anything - I've also looked at the transfer case and it looks pretty clean - but didn't check for any cracks - I'll do that though.