• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my first deuce today...need a lil' help!

Bow-man

Well, it's official--I'm an addict now! Picked up my first deuce this morning at Tinker AFB in OKC. Went very well. Got lots of pics of me belching smoke while rolling at 60mph down I-40 en route to the ranch, but cannot post until I get the right cable for my PC.
A few issues: after about 80 miles, a brownish liquid squirted on my right knee from an unknown locale. Couldn't find any fluid anywhere upon inspection.
After a brief lunch stop 20 miles later, I lost power in 4th gear. After restarting, it happened again. I limped into the ranch gate in 3rd, and found fuel all over the driver's side of the engine block that had also dripped down the front axle.
Any idears? Fuel filter?
Other than this, I'm very pleased and it was a hoot to drive (but y'all already know this). Picking up my second tomorrow from Norman...hopefully it'll be uneventful.

Attachments

Bow-man

I'll post more as soon as I can get my @#%$^ camera situation squared away!
I did get the tires dirty, which sux because they look brand new!

Bow-man

On that note, can someone explain what it is about a deuce that makes you have to have more than one? It's like peanuts....or M&M's. I feel it...but cannot explain it!!

Its the green addiction. its like the pringles slogan. " Betcha cant have just one ". But im a firm believer they just tend to reproduce. Next thing you know a 5 ton or 2 will also just pop in to keep a eye on the kids rofl.

In all honesty they just get lonely when are alone and they call more of them up for comfort rofl rofl

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Bow-man said:
A few issues: after about 80 miles, a brownish liquid squirted on my right knee from an unknown locale. Couldn't find any fluid anywhere upon inspection.
After a brief lunch stop 20 miles later, I lost power in 4th gear. After restarting, it happened again. I limped into the ranch gate in 3rd, and found fuel all over the driver's side of the engine block that had also dripped down the front axle.
Any idears? Fuel filter?

Gentlemen,

To point, can anyone shed some light on what his issue is?

break

I would highly suggest downloading all of the TM's in the resources section for the deuce. There are quite a few of them. The -20 and -34 will give you information on trouble shooting a repair. the -20P and -34P will provide information the parts and if you know the system, how to find out the manufacturer of the part which may help in buying the ones you need.

Looks like a nice truck. Hope your mechanical issues are easily and 'cheaply' fixed.

medlog

CGarbee

RE: Re: Picked up my first deuce today...need a lil

Without knowing a bit more...
Brownish fluid dripping on knee-water, etc. that had gotten under the dash area that came out when you moved the vehicle? Might have taken a little time to move from where it had collected to the spot where it dropped down on your knee, but rainwater that has collected for a while would be getting brown and funky in my area...

Fuel on the side of the block could be comming out of the nylon lines that connect the injectors, could be a loose fitting on an injector line, fuel spraying from one of the other lines, fuel filters are low and on the firewall end of the engine so a drip from them would more likely be on the firewall and lower, but you never know. Have you looked for the leak with the engine running while the truck is parked in the yard?

Is the power loss only in forth gear, or did you also have a power loss in third and other gears (I assume that you did since you mention that you "limped" it into the gate)? Most likely related to the fuel leak if it's on a major line like a loose injector line, broken injector line (had this happen to me once at the end of the line in the injector pump head, lost major power and sprayed fuel all over--truck was missing some of the anti-vibration clips on the injector lines and I lost about a 1/4 inch off the end of the line and had to replace it), or the rubber supply line. Not as likely to be related to the fuel leak if you are loosing fuel from the nylon lines in which case I'd take a look at the filters (all three) for restrictions from sludge and gunk.

How much fuel is in the tank and what does it look like?

Good luck.

Bow-man

Have not inspected area while engine is running. Will tackle this tomorrow when I have some time. I've got a few of the manuals and will look at the others suggested-- thanks gents!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: Picked up my first deuce today...need a lil

CGarbee said:
Without knowing a bit more...
Brownish fluid dripping on knee-water, etc. that had gotten under the dash area that came out when you moved the vehicle? Might have taken a little time to move from where it had collected to the spot where it dropped down on your knee, but rainwater that has collected for a while would be getting brown and funky in my area...
He had me stumped on the brown fluid :? . You could be right. That would be the only think I could think of.

Alredneck

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Re: Picked up my first deuce today...need a lil

Congrats on the new deuce, just give it time to work all the kinks out! Good luck!

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: Re: Picked up my first deuce today...need a lil

I had one of the injector return lines pop a hole on my way home from WI, was pissing fuel with no loss in power at all (although that may be due to the 100% ATF i was running). Made a HUGE mess. brown fluid must have been water, no fuel lines near there, and if if was an air line you'd know it for sure.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow Twins for your first kids... nice. I have to say if it is a fuel leak wait till the thing cools before working on it I had to change a return line on an old Detroit V8 and nearly vomited repeatedly from the fuel pissing on the hot engine. That should be an easy fix and if you take pictures of what you think is wrong someone on here has fixed that problem before and can help. Mine does not smoke like that except when it starts up.

Bow-man

It's definitely a non-turbo. I actually had a few people look at me and shake their head in disgust as they passed by.
I truly had a smile on my face the whole way home!! What fun....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks