• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my first Deuce!

TheOxman

Hey everyone. I've been lurking here for a while, and this is my first post/thread. I'm active duty Air Force stationed out of Eglin AFB, FL. I bought a deuce in September through Government Liquidation and was finally able to pick it up last week. It's in amazing shape, and I've had a lot fun driving it. I do have a few issues I need to work through, so I thought I'd post them here to see if I could get any insight from some experts. I work on computers in the Air Force, so automative and mechanical problems are not my thing, though I'm willing and able to learn.

My first deuce related problem: A flat tire, front driver's side. I was going about 50 down I-10 and out of nowhere, I was unable to control the vehicle. I tried forever to get that tire off. I had my friend come out with my breaker bar and I had the socket that came with the truck. It was a 1 1/2" socket on like an 18" extension, so I had like no leverage. The jack that came with the truck worked just fine. I bought a torch and heated the nuts up, but that didn't help.

I ended up having a guy come up. He had only what I can describe as an air cannon. Got the tire off in seconds. I will be buying a 1" air impact wrench and the sockets this week. I did find out that the place I called owns TWO deuces, wrecker versions, so I now have an in town place that I can bring my deuce to if need be.

So, here is my to-do list for the deuce:

1) Fix the driver's side windshield wiper system. The main air line is working because the passenger side windshield wiper is working, but the driver's side is not. I believe the air line to the driver's side is clogged, or I may need a new motor. It's been suggested that I look into electric wipers.

2) New windshield wipers for both sides.

3) Seal cab. Water from rain and big puddles can get in the cab fairly easily. Need to fix that.

4) Fix fuel gauge. Truck hold 50 gallons. Gauge showed less than 1/4 tank. Filled it up until the tank was as full as it could be and it only took 25 gallons. I turned the truck back on and the gauge only read 3/4.

5) Paint rims - started

6) Lubricate ALL grease fittings. Apparently there are about 100, according to the guy who helped with my tire who works on deuces regularly.

7) Oil and all filters need to be changed.

8 - New spare tire.

Sorry for the super long thread, and thanks for reading. Oh, and pics!

Attachments

mckeeranger

Congratulations on your "first" deuce!

On the driver's side tires: You know they're left handed threads, don't you?

Lefty tighty, righty loosey. Yeah, it's backwards.

And thank you for serving.

TheOxman

Yes, I saw that the driver's side tires were marked "L". My father has been a mechanic for over 30 years and worked on military vehicles when he was in the Army. He pointed that oddity out to me fairly quickly. :)

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations to a nice looking deuce! You have a few advantages that many others do not have - such as a father that was an MV mechanic and access to active duty personnel that works (worked) on them. That alone can be invaluable.

Have fun with your new truck!

mckeeranger

Yes, I saw that the driver's side tires were marked "L". My father has been a mechanic for over 30 years and worked on military vehicles when he was in the Army. He pointed that oddity out to me fairly quickly. :)
Excellent! Sounds like he'll be a great resource for your new truck.

There are a few folks from this website in Florida. Hopefully you can meet up with some of them some time and have some MV fun.

mistaken1

Nice Truck. Congratulations and welcome to the site. At the top of the site under resources are the manuals. The lube order shows where the lube points are.

Keith_J

I would suggest you check all 6 wheels, bearings, seals and brakes. It isn't complex, just a good bit of work.

The wheel hubs are often over-packed which pumps grease past the inner wheel seal, right into the brakes:cry:. Yes, you can clean the shoes/drums with solvent (repeat with clean solvent and let dry). Just keep solvent off the rubber wheel cylinder boots.

Check the front knuckle boots for tears or other damage, this can lead to problems. This too is simple, just bigger tools are needed.

ctmustang

Really nice truck! Try shooting some airtool oil in the wipermotor. It worked on one of my deuces. My daily driver deuce I just finished restoring has electric wipers-definately the way to go! Goodluck on sealing the water leaks on the cab. You can slow them down some. Never saw a deuce that the fuel gauge worked properly. When it gets below the strainer in the fill hole it's time for a fillup! Have lots of fun with your green toy!
CTMustang:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Carl_in_NH

Fix fuel gauge. Truck hold 50 gallons. Gauge showed less than 1/4 tank. Filled it up until the tank was as full as it could be and it only took 25 gallons. I turned the truck back on and the gauge only read 3/4.
Welcome, and thank you for your service.

The general wisdom is that all deuce fuel gauges lie. The overall accuracy will vary from truck-to-truck, and on one truck sometimes it will vary moment-to-moment. Carry a wooden stick and a flashlight to stick the tank for confirmation of fuel level. Always carry a wrench to bleed the injectors should you forget to stick the tank and run out of fuel.

sandcobra164

Great looking truck, welcome to the brother hood and good luck with your upcoming projects. The trucks are extremely easy to work on, everything just happens to be large and heavy but that's what makes them extremely reliable and durable!!!!

TheOxman

Thanks for the replies and warm welcomes. I found the lubrication order manual. Sounds like I'll have fun doing that. I'll be ordering a filter kit and putting that on in the next few days. I appreciate all of the advice and information this forum offers. I'd be lost without it!

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, nice truck! Hope it gives you good service and a collection of memories! Did you try spooling out some winch cable yet?

Rick

SimpleMindedJohn

Congrats on the new ride! I am active duty USAF Stationed here at Tinker AFB, OK. I'll be picking mine up this fall when I get back from UAE. Good luck with your new mobile man cave.