• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my first MV today

Brad M

Picked up my first MV today. It is an 84 M1008 and was a blast to drive down the NC Mountains back home.

It was a farm vehicle on top on a mountain in NW NC since 1998 and got about 1K miles per year put on it. It is currently just over 44K miles on the odometer but I know there is no way of knowing actual miles.

Body has seen better days but is complete and with some care can be brought back. First, I have to undue the farm repairs.

Fuel gauge was out. I am hoping repairing the broken wire from the sender under the vehicle fixes it. It was pegged at the 3 o’clock position past full and now shows just over full tank. Filled it up about thirty miles from home so it may be accurate only time will tell.

Preformed instrument cluster clean up to repair most failed lamps, got all working but the coolant temp, and wait light. Coolant temperature has a functioning bulb and continuity thru the gauge film circuit so I will search else ware for its issue. Wait light wont function until I figure out all of what was done to bypass the GP card and put in the momentary GP switch.

Temp repaired blown open 331Ώ ceramic shunt resistor on back of voltage gauge to get it working. Would prefer a replacement resistor but can only find blue ones (see atachment) for fuel gauges online not the pink one needed for the voltage gauge.

Plan to do the Doghead Starter Relay Mod next and have the tires balanced. I have a shudder at around 50MPH, which appears to be tires.

It appears to be a good project so far and fires right up and runs good. Even after today’s trip there are no noticeable leaks other than valve cover gaskets, which are also on the repair list.

Downloaded all the TM's and am reading them cover to cover.

Since it is worthless without pic's I have attached some from the Craig’s List ad I bought it from. I have not taken any yet.

Anyhow thinks for letting me brag a little. I have been lurking here for some time and reading before I finally made a purchase.

Attachments

1986Blazerk5

Looks good!!!! the doghead starter relay is on my to-do list. If the coolant light won't work you could add a temp. gauge thats what i did and I'm glad i did!

Brad M

the 50 mph shudder might be Death wobble you should replace the kinpin springs and nylon bushings just to be safe.
Thanks. I figured tires since it was gone over 55 MPH. Since I'm away from a computer and replying on a Blackberry what are the symptoms of "Death Wobble"?

Thanks.

Brad M

shuddering at a certain speeds and the steering wheel feels like its going to fly out of your hands
I think I'm ok then since it was the entire truck and it was only slightly and the steering wasn't bad. I'm going to go out on a limb and say if I had to guess a rear tire threw a wheel weight. Thank you for the info.

CONGRADS I 2 have just gottin my first MV M1008 its a project for sure Good luck u are definetly in Good Company Get to know all these guys and Girls They are a very smart bunch Good lookin truck [thumbzup]Im also workin on my dash cluster and electrical so i know exactly whats up