• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my GL engine today...

rdixiemiller

I picked up the engine I bought from GL Anniston Alabama today. It was listed as a Hercules LD 465-1. When I opened the can, I had an LDT 465-1D. The motor was made by White in 1986. No rebuild tags, so it should be all original. Everything is there but the clutch and the generator pulley. The engine turns over with a wrench, and looks good! The only thing i see is a damaged area on the pan where the front diff front flange got into it. I am assuming the deuce it was in got wrecked a little, because I don't think you can do that in normal circumstances.
I have been told there were head gasket problems on some of these. I see no water leaks to the outside, but there seems to have been an oil leak on the back of the engine. Any obvious signs of a head gasket without trying to start the engine?

Next step is to put oil in it and spin it over. See if it builds some oil pressure.

When rocking the engine back and forth, there is a slight clunk to be heard. Oil pump? I will probably pull the pan and check out the bottom end just to be sure.

The fun begins.....

rdixiemiller

Both my GL experiences have been pretty good so far. Prices are higher than in the old days of sealed bids, but the people have been good to deal with. So far, no complaints. I ended up with $518 in a motor. $440 bid, $44 premium, the rest Al. sales tax. The only reason I bid that high was that it was only 60 miles away. Motors were bringing $300 at Fort Polk La., but with fuel prices what they are.......
I am still pleased.
I can check out DRMO Anniston if anybody wants me to. No cameras allowed, but I can at least go look.

MVtrucker

I can't think of a single thing in a multifuel engine that would clunk when rocked, other than a hanging connecting rod. The damaged pan might be an indication of a problem.

rdixiemiller

There is not a hole, just a damaged area. You can see where the front differential front flange got against the pan. The front flange was turning at the time, from the scrubbing that is evident. There is no hole from the inside out, I have seen that too often in the past. The engine turns over fine, I don't think there is a loose rod. It just has a slight clunk that you feel when you rock it back and forth. The clutch is off, there may be a clutch cover bolt at the bottom of the flywheel housing.