• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pickin Up new M1009 on Christmas Eve Day

SGT Flesh Hammer

Well I finally fond a descent M1009 in the area, ok 200 miles away. So me and a buddy are going to go pick it up tomorrow. Its a 1984 with 1900 miles. I haven't had a chance to preview it yet since I just got in from Iraq on R&R Monday, but I hope its as good as the pictures look and as he described it to me in emails. He has not titled it yet so he wants me to give him a Power of Attorney to title it since he is on the SF97, he is a dealer, so is this normal or necessary or can I go title it with the SF97?

Attachments

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power of Attorney....hmmm.

There are many posts on titling a vehicle with a SF97, most do not go well. If the SF97 is in his name, he has to title it in his name and then transfer it to you. Sounds like he is trying to get out of paying the state tax. Insist on a title from him signed over to you.

No title, no buy!!

ralbelt

I have not heard of anyone giving power of attorney, but what I have read is that if the original purchaser from Gl does not have the title in hand the next owner has problems trying to title it and might have to hire a title co.

Farmun

I thought the power of attorney stuff is done with auto dealers a lot. Especially with new car purchases. All the paperwork you sign, one or two has power of attorney for things like car tags, etc. It just give the dealership the ability to do a specific legal action on your part. It's been several years since I purchased a new ride, but IIRC it happened. I wouldn't worry about signing a power of attorney, if the specific action is listed, and it's not a blank piece of paper.

TN's laws regarding titles are not as restrictive as some states, but more so than others. Research the TN.gov website, it could shed some light on your options.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
In California I have titled a truck that had the sf97 issued to the seller. It just required a bill of sale showing the transfer from him to me, not a big deal.

SGT Flesh Hammer

Well picked it up this morning with no problems. Drove it all the way home with almost no issues. It drives greats, accelerator responds great, brakes work good, tires 85% tread no dry rot. And to beat all the M1009 was formally owned by the Counter Drug Division of the National, which I worked for 3 1/2yrs and have probably driven this truck a dozen times. So that was a nice surprise. The only issue I had was the batteries are not stay charged so I'm testing the alternators as soon as I charge the batteries. it also needs a new tailgate because the crank is broken and a fence pole size hole is in it. Picture coming soon

SGT Flesh Hammer

Pictures As Promised

Here are a few pictures I took just before the rain hit hard. Does anyone have an extra tailgate for sale? As you can see I need one.

Attachments

Goose2448

It looks kinda like my pickup. 3 speed auto with no shifter needle:cry:. But you got dummy gauges. and no chrome. But hey, It is a very vice Blazer. I bet it has more than 2100 miles on it. No one belives me when I tell them my truck only has 53000 miles. But I Know it is right because it has always been in the family.
Congrats on the M1009

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Former winch truck? What did you do about the title? That scenario you described scares the heck out of me. 2 things that really irk me are no titles in hand and non original data plates (deuces). I'll walk away from the nicest deuce if the data plate is missing or replaced.

jimm1009

tailgate

If the only hole is the one on the mid left side then you can fix that pretty well if you have someone that can weld.
If you fix it or find another one, I would recommend going to the electric window riser.
It only needs three wires and a switch and is a pretty easy installation.
It's nice to be able to raise & lower the window on the go and you'll be really happy with it.
The tail gate is the same but the riser and left side latch are specific to electric versus manual.
Either way, take out the cardboard in the bottom of the tail gate.
It is originally soaked with tar & oil but becomes a sponge over time and soaks / retains water which is why they all eventually rust out in the same spot.
jimm1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks