• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking M931A2 up from auction. Change oil before driving?

racing4funn

I dont know if maintenance is logged somewhere in the truck but I thought about changing the oil before I drive it over a 100 miles home..

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Safe money is on the fact that there will be no maintenance records in the truck. I don't recall ever hearing of someone changing the oil before taking one home. I'm not saying it has never happened or not to do it, just I have never heard of it.

That being said I'm sure you have read the pertinent TMs and have reviewed the lists of items to take with you. The back of my Dodge was full of tools and fluids just in case it went bad.

Good luck and go over it thoroughly.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be more worried about it starting, stopping, driving, shifting, tires blowing, lights working, insurance, towbill if it breaks down, and a few other things that slip my mind at the moment.

Was it advertised as a runner? Iw ould not plan on changing the oil unless there was some obvious orifice of contamination...in that case....it should just be towed anyway. I would not change any fluids unless they showed signs of contamination. Just my $.02.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you plan on changing the oil ?
I would about guarantee it doesn't happen on a auction lot , most lots your lucky if they let you change batteries . Many require tow out .

Out of five truck I picked up this year only one I had to put oil in. Three of the trucks the oil looked brand new. I drove all trucks home 150 miles. I would take at least 4 gallons of antifreeze. 3 of the trucks had loose hose clamps on the radiator hoses.

racing4funn

good advice guys. I will probably take a gallon of oil for topping off if needed..
I will take distilled water for coolant but wont worry about anti freeze or the ratio til I get home.
Any other advice?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is Tornadogt's list from another thread:

Recovery check list
M939 Series A2

Paper work:
Insurance
Paid GL Invoice
To drive on base:
Current Insurance card
Current Registration paperwork
Current ID/Drivers License
Recovery Tools:
1) TM Print outs and Copies on Laptop
1) Fire Extinguisher (most truck seem have these removed)
1) Large Hammer
1) Digital Temp gun (great for checking fluid/Break Temps)
2) 12V Diesel Batteries/Cross connection link (to make 24v)
1) Heavy Duty Jumper Cables
2) Multi-Meter/10 ft. wire and assorted connectors
1) 20 Ton Bottle Jack
?) Wood Cribbing for jack ect.
2) Wheel Chalks (block tires if needed)
1) Large Socket Set (Include 1 ½ Socket for Lug nuts)
1)4 ft. Breaker Bar and adaptors/extensions
1) Travel Tool Box
1) Allen Wrench Set
1) Screw Driver Set
1) Pack of Tie Downs (at least 4 tie downs)
2) Heavy Tow Chains
2) Chain Binders
1) ½ in. Impact
2) Air lines with Glad Hand fitting (glad hand fitting from NAPA)
1) Air chuck w/Gauge
2) Crescent Wrenches
2) Rolls of Duct Tape
1) Work Gloves
1) Needle Nose Pliers/ Large Channel Lock Pliers
1)3/4 Line Wrench (Injector pump inlet/outlet)
1)11/16 Line Wrench (Injector lines)
Recovery Filters/Belt,Wiper Blades /Fluids:
Filters:
Trans Filter: 51268 wix , 1268 NAPA $9.29
Oil Filter: 51649 wix, 1649 NAPA $33.99
Fuel Filter : 3472 NAPA $19.49
Serpentine Belt: K080675 Gates/25080675 NAPA $54.15
Wiper Blades: WIP 601450 NAPA
Fluids:
5)Gallons of 30w Oil
5)Gallons of Water
2)Fuel Jugs 10 gallons if Diesel
4) Cans of Ether Starting Fluid

61sleepercab

My buddy and I survived a 300 mile recovery on a M925 with only an air leak at the air dryer which we rerouted lines to bypass. Check and top off fluids. Start truck and look for leaks and puddles. Blow off air tanks at drain petcocks and recheck air pressure while driving. Take your time and do not crowd traffic as you do not stop on a dime.
Take an oil test sample and send it off to NAPA or other vendors for a report so you can have a base line test. When replacing spin on filters,carefully cut open old filter to see what junk, dirt, metal dust or water is present. Hope you have a good one and a safe trip. Mark

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As noted by 05blackduramax, hose clamps can be loose and I have had trouble getting some to tighten up very well...I have an assortment in my recovery kit. I have seen lots of new hoses but also some fairly old ones.

Standard advise also is to check fasteners, especially in the running gear, suspension and steering...lots of reports of of loose bolts on the driveshaft flanges. On one of my trucks the fan was held on by only two bolts, the rest had backed out and about half were missing.

Might want to take some brake caging bolts unless you know they are present.

More likely the transfer case or differential gear oil would need changing or topped off than the motor oil, just based on what I've seen.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I nailed nearly the whole list (forgot only the duct tape). Those part numbers for oil, fuel, trans, are they for a Cummins 6cta8.3?

Not my list but it does say A2.

This is Tornadogt's list from another thread:

Recovery check list
M939 Series A2

racing4funn

I made it... Starter solenoid was shorted. pulled the hot wire from it and hit it to the hot side of the started and it craked over. Taped the hot wire up and out of the way and drive it 116 miles home..

Beautiful truck with 33 hours and 7xx miles.
20130719_162650_resized.jpg20130719_162730_resized.jpg20130719_162713_resized.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks