• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up an LMTV tomorrow... pretrip prep?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not that it shifts hard, it just doesn't want to shift unless I floor the pedal. Once it warms up it's fine. I have a thread about it here... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?143883-delayed-shifting-issue
I still need to check the electrical system to make sure that's not affecting it; my voltage gage is showing 24v which might be a bit low.
My dash gauge reads low too, at the bottom edge of green. Check actual charging voltage at any convenient point and you may find the charge voltage is fine. Mine was over 28 volts.

jgallanar

I won mine for $5,500 after auction fees and shipping. I have just over $9,200 in mine. I would have saved a lot of money if I had known the condition of my truck because I could have drove it home, even at 6 mpg. The only things wrong with mine was the passenger door won't open, there were some bolts missing on the heater/blower unit and one nut missing on the mirror on the drivers door. (Nothing that would have stopped me from driving it)

My truck had 9,982 miles on it when I got it. When I had it commercially inspected, they went all over my truck. They jacked it up and literally checked everything. The inspecting mechanic told me "other then it's age the truck is just like new, with no noticeable wear." Everything works, heater, hydrolic unit, lights, horn, CTIS, and dosn't register any air loss during an air loss test of the air brakes.

I do need some new fan belts, they just started squeaking occasionally.

As for changing out the transmission fluids. The 2 filters can be bought on ebay for around $50. After checking Allisons specs on fluid. http://www.utxchange.com/pdfs/MechanicsTips/MT2923EN.pdf (a lot of useful info in this pdf) I found some dextron 3 fluid that meets or exceeds Allison specs (listed on the labeling) for $80 per 5 gallon bucket. If you let your truck warm up though they shift just fine.

My air filter looked brand new. All fluids appear recent also.

The vehicle condition report on my truck said it needed to be jumped to start and would not start again without a jump start. However this was not the case. The truck fired right up for Bikeman when he removed it from the lot to take it to a local loading ramp for me.

I hope this info help,
William
YES! This helps a ton (2.5 tons to be exact),
I was beginning to lose hope. Looks like you got a good deal and didn't even need to ship yours. I live in Washington, so it's rare that these trucks come up for sale at Joint Base Lewis McCord. However, Utah, Colorado and possibly Texas are my best bet. Texas might be a little far to drive at 50mph for 3 days... Utah is only 600 miles. I'd like to do an initial vehicle inspection prior to hitting the road, just to ensure safety and avoid a breakdown on a mtn pass.

Did you get yours on gov planet? Sounds like the vehicle inspection report was reasonably accurate? And the fluids are a lot cheaper than others have been telling me, so that's a relief.

How about specific drivers license for driving in some states? I believe there is nothing additional here in Washington, I need to look into that.

I will keep your info close by as I get closer to making a purchase.

Thanks again!
J

Lmtv772

Banned
You might have the 200a alternator then. Where is your reverse polarity protection box? Under the spare tire or under the coolant reservoir?
I must have a 200a alternator, I know what the regulator with the lights looks like, this one is slightly different. ( I don't see a prominent box in either location , under the tire or the coolant reservoir.)

MaiNiaK

YES! This helps a ton (2.5 tons to be exact),
I was beginning to lose hope. Looks like you got a good deal and didn't even need to ship yours. I live in Washington, so it's rare that these trucks come up for sale at Joint Base Lewis McCord. However, Utah, Colorado and possibly Texas are my best bet. Texas might be a little far to drive at 50mph for 3 days... Utah is only 600 miles. I'd like to do an initial vehicle inspection prior to hitting the road, just to ensure safety and avoid a breakdown on a mtn pass.

Did you get yours on gov planet? Sounds like the vehicle inspection report was reasonably accurate? And the fluids are a lot cheaper than others have been telling me, so that's a relief.

How about specific drivers license for driving in some states? I believe there is nothing additional here in Washington, I need to look into that.

I will keep your info close by as I get closer to making a purchase.

Thanks again!
J
Yes (Govplanet) mine came from Fort Bragg. Which is 900+ miles from where I live in Maine. It would have been a long drive but I've already put 900 miles on my truck all easy.

As far as the drivers licence is concerned, it's different in every state. (You can drive in other states under the rules of your state though). I've heard a lot of people saying that any 2 axle vehicle under 26,000 lbs can be registered as a private vehicle (with commercial insurance). I'm not sure how or if the air brakes would effect this in your state.
I live in Maine, my 2 options were, CDL or register as Farm. We have a Farm so I registered mine as Farm. (Which exempts me from having a CDL or anything with my airbrakes) I had my truck fully inspected so I'm not limited to a set milage from my farm. Well I am on trailering equipment (unfortunately) I can only trailer my equipment 150 miles from the farm. But I can have my truck loaded with 5,000 lbs and still drive to California, if I choosed too.

Ukraine Train

I had a chance to lift the cab yesterday and the 24v alternator light was flashing orange. It measured 24.7 volts. While driving around it bumped up to 26v on the gauge but just briefly. Is there any way to adjust this? Is it typically a regulator issue? I'm going to clean all the connections and check the belt tension. The belt looked like it was slapping around quite a bit. The 14v side was flashing green and measured 14.7v.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It could be a loose belt. Or it could be a bad connection somewhere. I would check the regulator and alternator connections after making sure the belt was proper.